Dish Upgrade by 8/15

zabkowski

Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
This is my first post and hope that I not too long winded but I am hoping that I can get some advice on dealing with dish network and the upcoming upgrade. Currently, I have two 301 receivers, one DishDVR and one 811 HD receiver. When I spoke with a customer rep at dish, they offered to swap out the 811 for equal box with an 18 month commitment. While this is okay in its basic form and although I don't like the term of the commitment, I asked them if I could upgrade to a 622 HD dvr to replace the 811. While they indicated that I could and pay the $100 related fee, they also told me that I would have to also send back one of my 301 receivers in addition to the 811. This would leave me with three receivers in total. They indicated that with this configuration, I would have the equivalent configuration to my 4 receiver setup. I do not want to do this however. Due to wiring and keeping things simple, I want to remain with 4 receivers. If I understand the 622 correctly, I may want to use the 2nd tuner for a picture in picture opportunity.

In any case, is there any recourse on this configuration, could I keep a 4 receiver configuration which would include two 301 receivers, 1 DishDVR receiver and one dual tuner 622 receiver, or should I, although I have been satisfied with dish, look at Direct TV or even Comcast. Thank you for any advice that you can offer.

Others will chime in but I think dish has a lease maximum of 4 TUNERS.

With a 622 you would have five and would have to get a DP44 Switch withc is more money put of dish's pocket. Email the COE address and they may be able to help.

Others will chime in but I think dish has a lease maximum of 4 TUNERS.

With a 622 you would have five and would have to get a DP44 Switch withc is more money put of dish's pocket. Email the COE address and they may be able to help.

Thank you for your reply and please excuse my ingnorance but what is COE?

Personally, I'd take the offer in a heart beat. First, they'd upgrade the dish you have to a D1000.2 which has 3 DPP outputs (meaning one for a 301, one for the DVR you have, and one for the 622 Dual Tuner - yes, the 622 only needs one line from the dish with this LNBF). With that, to reduce running ANY lines, I'd slap in a couple diplexers as needed and you'd still have 4 rooms of TV watching 4 different things (with 4 different remotes) using only 3 receivers. Best of all, you'd have 3 rooms with DVR in it.

I've been sub-contracting for Dish for about 10 years and this is definitely the way to go, IMHO. Anytime you wanted to do PIP as you stated, a push of a button on the 622 would make it happen (single mode - TV1/TV2 see the same thing). A push of the same button would put it back to a TV1/TV2 mode (dual mode- TV1/TV2 see different things). Just my opinion.

Don't worry about one receiver controlling 2 TVs. It's all very simple and integrated wonderfully. Connect the 622 to the least viewed TV and you can switch the mode from Dual to Single if you want to use both tuners (PIP).

My setup only involves TWO boxes (both DVRs) so all four TVs have DVR functionality. The boxes go into Single mode when the other TVs aren't being used. If the other TV happens to be used and there's a program recording on my tuner I just watch a DVR'd program. It all works very nicely.

Personally, I'd take the offer in a heart beat. First, they'd upgrade the dish you have to a D1000.2 which has 3 DPP outputs (meaning one for a 301, one for the DVR you have, and one for the 622 Dual Tuner - yes, the 622 only needs one line from the dish with this LNBF). With that, to reduce running ANY lines, I'd slap in a couple diplexers as needed and you'd still have 4 rooms of TV watching 4 different things (with 4 different remotes) using only 3 receivers. Best of all, you'd have 3 rooms with DVR in it.

I've been sub-contracting for Dish for about 10 years and this is definitely the way to go, IMHO. Anytime you wanted to do PIP as you stated, a push of a button on the 622 would make it happen (single mode - TV1/TV2 see the same thing). A push of the same button would put it back to a TV1/TV2 mode (dual mode- TV1/TV2 see different things). Just my opinion.

Thanks so much for the advice. Looks like the way to go. I did try a set of diplexers but I could not get them to work. Any suggestions on brand of diplexers that I should use? Since I have two dishes already, they told me that I did not need to change anything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)