Anyone using an R50000 w/ their 211 or 622?

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
So I'm getting a bit tired of waiting on E* for USB HD content archiving. It may happen this fall...or it may not. So, I started looking into other options...

The R5000. A mod for the satellite reciever that allows live recording of the HD program stream before encryption to the hard drive (if its a DVR reciever)...you can interface to a PC or a D-Vhs deck for archiving/recording. Sounds pretty cool.

I stumbled across this on AVS and its mentioned here on SatGuys a few places. I have a D-VHS deck in my main rack, and it'd be great to either get a HTPC in the loop or mod my 622 or a 211 receiver to capture the HD content streams and archive.

So, is anyone here currently using or have you used this system? I'd be keen to hear your experiences, to be forewarned of the caveats, get advice, etc.

It's not cheap...I'd have to either buy a 211 (currently leasing) to have it modded, or send in my owned 622 and contemplate purchase of a second D-Vhs deck. Yikes, that's about 1K (hardware less $500 for the R5000). Don't want to tread lightly here...but I'm getting tired of throwing out/erasing good HD content on my DVR because there's no way other way to archive it.

Last edited:
This is something I thought about but I can get a cable box that includes working firewire for cheap. You have to use DVHS on encrypted stuff but with the full cost of modding a dish box I think cable makes more sense.

Unfortunately, HD cable isn't yet an option here in the boonies of, uh, northern Chicago (go figure). And when RCN/Comcast do offer it (right now RCN serves my 'side of the street' as they carve it up in Chicago--it's insane, truly), it probably won't offer the kind of variety of programming I'm getting w/ Dish. So I'm sticking w/ satellite for the time being.

You all verify what I've heard elsewhere--it seems this solution, simply, just works. It's great to know...especially after looking into the 16:9 solution years ago and being frightened by all the negative comments of users and the high price.

Can you folks briefly summarize how you use it--i.e. the basic config you use hardware/software-wise and what your basic workflow is.

I'm currently contemplating if it'd be smart if I get the mod on my owned main room 622 (that's where my D-Vhs deck is) rather than a second room 211 setup. I was planning on putting in an Intel Mac Mini in there in the next few months...wondering if running the R5000 in that environment/hardware config would work, i.e. in Windows XP (either in Parallels emulation or in dual boot mode)? Then, hopefully, I would have access to the recorded streams and I could either archive off to D-Vhs via firewire in XP w/ R5000s provided tools or using the app DVHStools under Mac OSX. I've heard from some that Mac/OSX/DVHStools is more stable than the Windows solutions for D-Vhs control/archiving.

Can you folks briefly summarize how you use it--i.e. the basic config you use hardware/software-wise and what your basic workflow is.

I use a SageTV server in a non-viewing room to control all my OTA PCI tuners, the R5000 modded sat receivers, a couple USB Tuners connected to Dish 811's, and too hold all central storage. Pretty simple to setup, but just takes time.

Then, I have various SageTV clients spread throughout the house. The clients are more powerful processor and video card wise to handle the HD streams. Whereas the server really just needs decent drives, and a fairly stable setup of memory, processor, and bus

Also, I use a decent GB network to allow for no bottlenecks network wise.

I rarely mess with things anymore, as they just work, and leave it up to Kirby to test:) Thanks again Kirby:))))

Sounds like a nice setup this is how i want mine!!:up
</IMG>

It was working great until we lost power;-)

I didn't have the new UPS hooked up yet, so I did not feel safe running the computer stuff with dirty generator power. So, for 4 days, all we had was a single 811 hooked up to a small TV. 4 days with no timeshifting was drving me crazy.

How funny is it when you become so addicted to NOT having to watch tv on "their" schedule, lol

So, do you think, simply for recording and archiving to D-Vhs, a Mac Mini (Intel Core Duo 1.67Mhz) w/ 1GB ram will suffice on the hardware end? What OS are you using (XP, MCE, XP Pro), also? I do have a new Toshiba Qosmio laptop running MCE '05 as far as native Window machines go...and its also Intel Core Duo. I figured the Mac Mini would work, but...

So, do you think, simply for recording and archiving to D-Vhs, a Mac Mini (Intel Core Duo 1.67Mhz) w/ 1GB ram will suffice on the hardware end? What OS are you using (XP, MCE, XP Pro), also? I do have a new Toshiba Qosmio laptop running MCE '05 as far as native Window machines go...and its also Intel Core Duo. I figured the Mac Mini would work, but...

I'm using XP Pro across the board. The playback systems have Pentium 8xx D processors w/ 1gb of ram. So, I would think that mini booting into Windows would work AOK. Video cards are Nvidia 7600GT with quieter fans.

I don't think there is R5000 software for the mac OS, so you would have to use bootcamp probably to do a true dual boot into windows when you want to record.

http://www.nextcomwireless.com/R5000/support.htm

Yeah, I'm thinking that Boot Camp/dual boot is probably the way to go. I'd like to run some PC games on the Mini, too, (Half-Life Source on a 55" screen--yeah!) and since it's not exactly a graphics powerhouse, eliminating emulation would probably help performance there, too.

So my 622 is at Nextcom, getting its R5000HD mod!

So, question to all you E*/R5000 users...any concerns w/ re-activating/installing the receiver when I get it back? Or am I worrying for nothing. I'm just new to the mod world.

You really dont need cpu power, the TS stream is just one big file.

Yeah, I've just gone through and done my first setup and test record to D-VHS which proved CPU power isn't as necessary for pushing to tape (not like stutter-free software decoding/playback).

I have my R5000-HD mod and did some test dumps of a .ts from my trusty 667mhz DVI TiBook (about 5 yrs old). Worked like a charm. Won't play back the file in VLC without stutter, but I/O of the file is not a problem.

Thanks for the insight, though.

Now I'm just waiting for some announcement from Apple on a Mac Mini update and I can pull the trigger on a dedicated Mac-based HTPC solution...

2 Questions?

1. Are their ANY copy protection issues with an R5000 setup on a 221?
2. What do you get when tuned to an MPEG4 station? And how do you deal with it?

My application is to use a Miranda Firewire to ASI converter that IS working on a Moto cable box, but have run into the occasional 5C or some copy protection that kills my ASI stream.

I have NO experience with the DN signals in this specific area.

Comments?