Can't update an expired credit card

Strega

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2023
West Coast
I got a new credit card (just the usual replacement for an old expiring card.) So, I updated it on the Dish website. A few days later, I got an automated phone message saying my card will expire soon. Go back to the website – yes it reverted to the old expiration date. Repeat update. A few days later - repeat phone message. Go back to website and see it has reverted again. OK, this time, I turn autopay off. Then I turn it on and enter the same number with the updated expiration. Log off, log back on. New date still there. Log in the next day. New date still there. Log in on the second day, yep still there. I’m feeling like it finally stuck.

But a few days after that, yep, another message from Dish telling me my card will soon expire. Log into web site, and yes, after a couple of days with the new expiration date, it has gone back to the old one.

Does this happen to other people. I feel like I’m in the Twilight Zone.

• Wow
Reactions: NYDutch
No idea since I never leave my credit card on file as I do manual payments with over a dozen cards usually. Merchants such as DISH are able to still charge the card regardless of the expiration date, Card ID or even if the credit card number changes from the issuer.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I got a new credit card (just the usual replacement for an old expiring card.) So, I updated it on the Dish website. A few days later, I got an automated phone message saying my card will expire soon. Go back to the website – yes it reverted to the old expiration date. Repeat update. A few days later - repeat phone message. Go back to website and see it has reverted again. OK, this time, I turn autopay off. Then I turn it on and enter the same number with the updated expiration. Log off, log back on. New date still there. Log in the next day. New date still there. Log in on the second day, yep still there. I’m feeling like it finally stuck.

But a few days after that, yep, another message from Dish telling me my card will soon expire. Log into web site, and yes, after a couple of days with the new expiration date, it has gone back to the old one.

Does this happen to other people. I feel like I’m in the Twilight Zone.
That happened to me. Just call Dish and update your card.

I‘ve ran into similar issues with other services. But I can’t offer any speculation as to why this happens.

however, I have found that in all cases this fix was to delete the existing expired card and to enter the updated card as a new card.
I had the issue with XFinity Mobile where it won't let me update the expiration date so I had to call in but that was in 2019 or 2020. Now it updates fine online.

Reactions: charlesrshell