Joey and Dish Anywhere app

Richard_E

Original poster
Nov 9, 2023
Topeka,Kansas
Does anyone know why you can use the Anywhere app free but it costs to use a Joey? I called Dish awhile ago and they gave me a run around (BS) answer. I would buy a new Joey if there was no charge to use it as you can with the anywhere app. Just chatted with an agent 11/19/23, They said it was a "service fee" a different agent said it was because the Joey was in a different room .
Richard

Last edited:
That's more of a corporate business level question, not something the CSR's would be equipped to answer. Just a waste of their time from their perspective, so they were just answering to get you off the line. I assume you didn't expect them to waive the Joey fee.

Basic answer is probably that Dish has figured out a mixture of subscription prices & per receiver lease/service/usage fees that provide a profitable revenue stream and keep enough customers using their service.

Dish Anywhere is just a nice perk for Dish users that probably helps customer retention a bit (and I love having it), but can't provide a revenue stream. And they're certainly not going to change the reciever fees just because Dish Anywhere exists.

Years ago (30 or so) when I first got Dish Network I bought the whole system and could pay 1 year at a time. When there was a new receiver out I could exchange it for a new one at no charge. Then I went with ATT U-verse TV and Internet for a few years. And came back to Dish. How things change in just 2-3 years.
Done ranting.
Richard

Reactions: charlesrshell
The Joey, you are using their device that's physically connected to a hopper and is a much more reliable method of watching compared to using a mobile device over internet.
Yes and also the picture quality is different and one is not limited to one stream. Dish Anywhere has more to do with the Sling adapter. One can also buy a Amazon FireTV to use Dish Anywhere, they aren't the same type of service. Joey is a local device at the same physical location that is supposed to always work while Dish Anywhere might or might not work.

Years ago (30 or so) when I first got Dish Network I bought the whole system and could pay 1 year at a time. When there was a new receiver out I could exchange it for a new one at no charge. Then I went with ATT U-verse TV and Internet for a few years. And came back to Dish. How things change in just 2-3 years.
Done ranting.
Richard
27 or less.