Dish Upgrade

c000159

Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I currently have SkyAngel through Dish Network. I have just one receiver but recently purchased a new system (with receiver and dish) from a Radio Shack that was going out of business. It was one of those pre-paid systems. I'm wanting to use the new dish that has two LNBs (one for 110 and the other for 119) so I can use both of my receivers. Initially I thought each LNB would be able to connect to each receiver. But after searching the internet prior to installation, I'm not sure if that will work. Also, the LNB states that it's digital; my first receiver is at least 6 years old. So my questions are:

1. Will this digital LNBF work with my older receiver?

2. Will I be able to connect one LNB to my old receiver and the other LNB to the new reciever without having to use any switches?

Is there anything else I am missing or need to be aware of? I've attached some pics.

Thanks for your help!

Michael

Attachments

• pict0001.jpg
    pict0001.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 132
  • pict0002.jpg
    pict0002.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 108
  • pict0005.jpg
    pict0005.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 116
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I currently have SkyAngel through Dish Network. I have just one receiver but recently purchased a new system (with receiver and dish) from a Radio Shack that was going out of business. It was one of those pre-paid systems. I'm wanting to use the new dish that has two LNBs (one for 110 and the other for 119) so I can use both of my receivers. Initially I thought each LNB would be able to connect to each receiver. But after searching the internet prior to installation, I'm not sure if that will work. Also, the LNB states that it's digital; my first receiver is at least 6 years old. So my questions are:

1. Will this digital LNBF work with my older receiver?

2. Will I be able to connect one LNB to my old receiver and the other LNB to the new reciever without having to use any switches?

Is there anything else I am missing or need to be aware of? I've attached some pics.

Thanks for your help!

Michael
Sorry your photos aren't much help all it tells us is you have a Twin LNB and a "Y" adapter.
What are the model numbers of the receivers that you have?

For Sky Angel you are looking at the satellite at 61.5 you will need a switch to combine the three satellite locations.

On your existing LNB on the SA dish do you have a BLACK DP on the side away from the dish?

You probably will have to call DISH and see if you can even do what you want with a pre paid system. You may only have purchased a dish and LNB you will have to buy a card monthly to use the pre paid receiver.:)

Also, original lnb may be a 'legacy' and not compatalble with new lnb's. The new lnb's should be marked with DishPro (DP) or DishProPlus (DPP) markings on it, but check your original as well. If not marked then it is a legacy. Switching out the original for a DishPro and a DP34 switch will connect your receivers, if the new lnb is a DishProPlus then switching out your original lnb for a new one and running wire to the input on the DPP all accomplish what you need as the switch is built into the lnb head and no other switch will be needed. A DishPro adaptor may be needed for your older receiver as well.

I was wanting to replace the existing dish with the new one. From what you're saying, I'm not going to be able to do that and still get SkyAngel?

SkyAngel comes off the 61.5 Satellite, if you replace the one you have right now w/ 119 and 110, you won't have Sky Angel anymore, Just add the dish as an additional and get a switch...

I was wanting to replace the existing dish with the new one. From what you're saying, I'm not going to be able to do that and still get SkyAngel?
From 61.5 to 119 degrees is almost 60 degrees no affordable dish can pick up signals from that large a distance so you will need 2 dishes if you want all those locations. Please tell us what model number receivers you have?:)

DP301 and 4700. I guess I don't understand why I can't point the new dish at 61.5; I'm not subscribing to Dish Network per se, only SkyAngel.

You will need two dishes, you will probably have to replace the lnb on your 61.5 to get it to work with new dish. Depending on your current receiver, you may not have to get a new one, unless you want one. I have a dish500 for 110/119 and an old dish300 dish pointed at 61.5. It has all DishPro lnb's and a DP34 switch to make it work.

Skyangel

If you're only going to be subscribing to SkyAngel then you don't want to use the pre-paid receiver. You are only able to get the top 60 and locals on the pre-paid receivers and have to buy a card each month to access programming on it. If you are wanting to watch SkyAngel on two tv's it would be cheaper to run a backfeed off your existing receiver to the 2nd location.

After many questions and posts I believe you want two receivers receiving Sky Angel off the 61.5 satellite. You can't do it with the equipment you bought. All you need to do is replace the LNB that is on your existing dish with a LEGACY DUAL and connect a 2nd receiver to the dish. Because you bought a prepaid system you probably can't activate the 301 receiver for anything except AT60 from DISH. Try calling Sky Angel and see if they can help you get the DP301 activated for their service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)