Dish uses funny math?!?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

findwaldo

Original poster
May 31, 2008
Hello,

I just received a replacement 522 receiver. Since I had an empty drive, I took a look at how recordings effected the "time available" for recordings. What I found didn't make sense.

• When no shows were recorded, 100 hrs was available (makes sense)
  • Recorded a 38 min. show. 99hrs 12 mins was available, off by 10 mins.
  • Deleted show, went back to 100 hrs available
  • Recorded two shows, 31 mins each, total of 62 mins recorded, only 98 hrs 36 mins available, off by 22 mins
Thoughts?

MPEG2 vs MPEG4 (and/or) SD vs HD; potentially adds significant variation to the estimated remaining/consumption. You'll notice 'quality of feed' impacts bandwidth, which impacts storage. Numerous variables in the mix... VBR

Edit: Oops, missed 522; MPEG2 ONLY...!!!

Dish's intent is to drop MPEG2 entirely by summer's end (wishful, rather aggressive?!!). At his point Dish wants to charge upgrades to MPEG4 compliant receivers, but if you'll wait just a bit, you'll see gratis upgrades. I believe HD upgrades are gratis, presently.

Last edited:
MPEG2 is not a fixed bitrate technique. If you record water skiing or whitewater rafting with lots of things going on all over the screen, it will require considerably more space than a program with lots of static imagery (CSPAN?).

MPEG2 is not a fixed bitrate technique. If you record water skiing or whitewater rafting with lots of things going on all over the screen, it will require considerably more space than a program with lots of static imagery (CSPAN?).

that would explain it. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)