Dish Vip622DVR "EXT"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mstregamer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Wisconsin
Does anyone know what is up with the "EXT" button for recording? I cannot seem to record directly to my External Hard Drive using that option.:confused: The CSR'S are clueless!

true statement. I asked Saturday at the meet&greet about being able to record directly to the EHDD, and the statement was a lack of bandwidth on the USB interface to allow that, plus trick modes, plus playback.

It made sense to me.

Do you have any problems with playback on the External HDD? It keeps freezing up on some playback of my movies...........no all of them but when I FF them it than gets stuck....also this is my 2nd brand new one Western 750GB. My book essential edition. I have to unplug it and then repower it to get it unstuck....only on some of my transfers.

Do you have any problems with playback on the External HDD? It keeps freezing up on some playback of my movies...........no all of them but when I FF them it than gets stuck....also this is my 2nd brand new one Western 750GB. My book essential edition. I have to unplug it and then repower it to get it unstuck....only on some of my transfers.

Can you determine if those that freeze are OTA, Dish MPEG2, or Dish MPEG4 or is it a mix of those formats?

How come FTA boxes can record/playback from the usb drive, but dish cant?
I think the Dish programmers are only using the slower normal speed mode of the USB 2.0 port and not the high speed mode. Data transport takes a lot longer than it should.

Because they don't have the ability to do 5 streams like a 622 can. They also don't (AFAIK) have the trick modes.

never said they had to support recording 3 things and displaying 2.. would be nice to be able to record one and display another at most..

At least support 1 stream.. you can either record to or playback from..

The issue is the class of user that uses these devices. If you can do one thing like on the internal drive, least common denominator says you'll want it to do all.

I really do understand where the engineers are coming from on this.

Can you determine if those that freeze are OTA, Dish MPEG2, or Dish MPEG4 or is it a mix of those formats?
It is mostly Cinemax and some MGM and some HDNET Movies.....that's about it No over the air. Whenever I Fast Forward It freezes up and is then useless. I unplug my Drive and power it back up sometimes it is fixed but if I use the Fast Forward again it does the same thing...sometimes I lose the whole Program.

It is mostly Cinemax and some MGM and some HDNET Movies.....that's about it No over the air. Whenever I Fast Forward It freezes up and is then useless. I unplug my Drive and power it back up sometimes it is fixed but if I use the Fast Forward again it does the same thing...sometimes I lose the whole Program.
Sounds like a bad drive / external case. There's no rhyme or reason to the errors. Your first drive works fine? I'd move stuff off this bad drive, format it and scan it on a pc and then plug and initialize it again on the DVR and see what happens.

I've used a Seagate (320), a Maxtor (500) and a WD My Book (500). All have worked perfect. I had the Seagate first and when I went to get the second one was going to get a 1TB drive, but the price on the 500s is just too good. I actually just picked up another WD My Book (Essential) 500GN for $79 after rebate today from Circuit City. Heck of a good price if you ask me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)