Dish vs. DirecTV

rbmjr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Hi gang,

Serious question:

I am a DTV subscriber and have been for about three years (since E* gave up MLB). I am considering a switch back to E* since I can get MLB elsewhere (MAC, Roku). What are the primary differences between DTV and E* apart from baseball? I won't pay for Sunday Ticket so that is no concern.

Is the picture, sound, and service quality equal or better than DTV?

What about the DVR capacity? I have two HD DVR's from DTV now.

Thanks,

Rob

In my experience the pq is slightly better on D*.
Sound is pretty much equal.
Customer service, for me, D* has been better.

E* does have faster equipment, both have features that the other does not.

What programming packages are you looking at?
I know I checked with swapping my primary service to E* this past week. For the same setup I have (2 HD DVRs) with D*, E* would cost me more long term, but they had a decent deal for the first year. Upfront costs for 2 HD-DVRs was a concern as well for me with E*.

For the most part though, they are comparable.

Hi gang,

Serious question:

I am a DTV subscriber and have been for about three years (since E* gave up MLB). I am considering a switch back to E* since I can get MLB elsewhere (MAC, Roku). What are the primary differences between DTV and E* apart from baseball? I won't pay for Sunday Ticket so that is no concern.

Is the picture, sound, and service quality equal or better than DTV?

What about the DVR capacity? I have two HD DVR's from DTV now.

Thanks,

Rob

Dish has the best dvr on the market, however you will never see the YES Channel or MLB Network and quite possible the MSG Family of Channels in HD.

If you don't live in NY and are not a fan of the Yankees and could care less if any of the hockey team's games from MSG (Sabres, Ranger, Islanders and Devils) are in HD or not, then you should love Dish.

If you live where I am from, and/or the Sabres games and Yankees games are important to you, then you will most likely want to get a different provider.

Dish is better in PQ, plus more movie channels in HD are on Dish. If you want to argue with me about picture quality. I have had BOTH dish and Direct on the Same TV at the same time on 2 differant video inputs. I have better then 20/20 vision and I noticed Dish was better. But to each his own.

Dish is better in PQ, plus more movie channels in HD are on Dish. If you want to argue with me about picture quality. I have had BOTH dish and Direct on the Same TV at the same time on 2 differant video inputs. I have better then 20/20 vision and I noticed Dish was better. But to each his own.
Yep, I also have them both on the same tv. However right now, Dish in only in SD. I have however had a Dish VIP box hooked up there many times, at the same time with my D* HD service. IMO, D* has better HD PQ. YMMV

DISH Network vs DIRECT TV - Compare Dish TV and DIRECT TV | SATELLITE TV DIRECT by Expert Satellite
Satellite TV - Compare DIRECTV and DISH Network
Do a search: DirecTV vs. Dish Network - above are just a couple of websites comparing the 2.

Duo DVR 625 (2 SD TV's) records up to 150 hrs SD; Duo Vip 722 (1 HD; 1 SD) records up to 55 hrs HD, 350 hrs SD; Solo Vip 612 (HD) records up to 30 hrs HD; 200 hrs SD.

I've had both E* and DTV; and just switched back to E* afte 7 yrs w/DTV. Personally, I just like program guide, features much better. E* carries Sirius (vs. DTV XM). DTV 'includes local channels' in pkgs ('no add'l fee' but reality is cost for locals is just included in their pkg prices.) E* charges add'l $5/mo for locals - OTA antenna (make sure U have OTA module if needed for E* receiver) eliminates need for subscribing to locals. DTV - prices have spiralled upwards, and cost of their pkgs is higher then E*.
Pros and cons with both - as Koilvr said - 'to each his own'; for me, it's Dish. Hope this helps you somewhat.

We can't tell you what kinds of programming you're going to like. In general, E* has a wider variety of programming and D* trades on lots of sports programming. Such is not to say that E* doesn't have sports and D* doesn't have other than sports, but the bias is pretty clear.

If I were needing to make a choice in the next six months, I'd wait and see what the new satellites bring to each. DIRECTV is scheduled to turn up a new satellite in May and Dish will probably turn theirs up about the same time or maybe a little sooner.

Remember that doing anything different than what you have now is going to commit you to that service for 18-24 months.

You should know things like vision quality/provider preference means nothing to some people who may not get the picture they are paying for due to atmospheric issues/subpar installations which may be unbeknownst to them.

I just had Dish installed two days ago, and I love it better than DirecTV...
This could be due to the crap installation we had from DirecTV...but they really sucked in all aspects.

No arguments here, though. Dish is King in this demographic!

Have been thinking as well about going back to E*, where I was a sub for 10 years before switching to D* in 2007. Mostly the impetus is monthly cost. My DirecTV contract is up in March.

So I have been on the phone in recent days both with DISH and the DISHStore folks. I wanted some straight talk on pricing, as well as the capabilities of the receivers.

To answer the second question first, I learned that the dual-tuner DISH receivers can only split two channels/programs between two TVs. Right now, I have dedicated DVR receivers for each of my three TVs. Since we frequently have to record as many as five news shows at once (my wife and I are in media relations and consulting), the dual-tuner parent/child setup would not be an option. I was told that I would have to pay an up-front fee of $200 to get two additional SD DVR receivers. Besides being unwilling to pay such a hefty up-front fee, this would deeply cut into the promotional 12-month programming price.

As for the regular programming costs once the promotional period ended, the DISHStore guy calculated that to match our current DirecTV programming (not including additional sports or movie packages), we would be paying only about a buck and change less per month.

While we would gain some HD programming not available on D* (WGN America especially) and probably better technology, we factored in that we would also lose access to DIRECTV's exclusive MLB, NFL and European soccer coverage. Plus, we recalled our less than spectacular customer service and installation experience with DISH. So we're staying with DirecTV.

Of course our experience is particular to us. I hope you are able to make a choice that will fulfill your needs. Good luck!

Have been thinking as well about going back to E*, where I was a sub for 10 years before switching to D* in 2007. Mostly the impetus is monthly cost. My DirecTV contract is up in March.

So I have been on the phone in recent days both with DISH and the DISHStore folks. I wanted some straight talk on pricing, as well as the capabilities of the receivers.

To answer the second question first, I learned that the dual-tuner DISH receivers can only split two channels/programs between two TVs. Right now, I have dedicated DVR receivers for each of my three TVs. Since we frequently have to record as many as five news shows at once (my wife and I are in media relations and consulting), the dual-tuner parent/child setup would not be an option. I was told that I would have to pay an up-front fee of $200 to get two additional SD DVR receivers. Besides being unwilling to pay such a hefty up-front fee, this would deeply cut into the promotional 12-month programming price.

As for the regular programming costs once the promotional period ended, the DISHStore guy calculated that to match our current DirecTV programming (not including additional sports or movie packages), we would be paying only about a buck and change less per month.

While we would gain some HD programming not available on D* (WGN America especially) and probably better technology, we factored in that we would also lose access to DIRECTV's exclusive MLB, NFL and European soccer coverage. Plus, we recalled our less than spectacular customer service and installation experience with DISH. So we're staying with DirecTV.

Of course our experience is particular to us. I hope you are able to make a choice that will fulfill your needs. Good luck!

Ira glad you made a decision.

While direc does have its good points.
Possibly best HD picture than any other provider.

I have them for center ice and nfl ticket. I would ''not'' make them my sole
provider.

2 reasons:

Equipment-Dish dvrs are state of the art- Ive not seen anything to date better.
Smooth and fast!!

Customer service: Direc seems to have lost their way in making the customer top priority..

To answer the second question first, I learned that the dual-tuner DISH receivers can only split two channels/programs between two TVs. Right now, I have dedicated DVR receivers for each of my three TVs. Since we frequently have to record as many as five news shows at once (my wife and I are in media relations and consulting), the dual-tuner parent/child setup would not be an option. I was told that I would have to pay an up-front fee of $200 to get two additional SD DVR receivers. Besides being unwilling to pay such a hefty up-front fee, this would deeply cut into the promotional 12-month programming price

Two VIP722K's would allow you to record up to 8 programs (with the OTA module). No?

You should know things like vision quality/provider preference means nothing to some people who may not get the picture they are paying for due to atmospheric issues/subpar installations which may be unbeknownst to them.

I just had Dish installed two days ago, and I love it better than DirecTV...
This could be due to the crap installation we had from DirecTV...but they really sucked in all aspects.

No arguments here, though. Dish is King in this demographic!

That is true depends on install and other numerous factors.

Two VIP722K's would allow you to record up to 8 programs (with the OTA module). No?

Correct, I must add that the being looked at by Dish as having 4 receivers but only having 2 dual tuner DVRs I disagree with. I have a 722k but do not use it in Dual Mode as I like the flexibility of recording a show and simultaneously viewing another. If I set it up in dual mode the second tv would be limited to the recording. This is the reason I have two receivers. Not everyone sets there receivers up to split between multiple tvs so why punish subs from getting more than 2 dual tuner receivers.

Neither the DISH rep I spoke with nor the rep from DISHStore mentioned the OTA tuners in the 722.

However, the OTA in my neighborhood is hot and cold, even with a reliable indoor antenna. And frankly, we don't want to have to put up an outdoor antenna in addition to a dish.

Mistake

Neither the DISH rep I spoke with nor the rep from DISHStore mentioned the OTA tuners in the 722.

However, the OTA in my neighborhood is hot and cold, even with a reliable indoor antenna. And frankly, we don't want to have to put up an outdoor antenna in addition to a dish.

To me it would be major mistake to not include an OTA ant. This way he can record all the Sunday morning political shows at one time in case all hit at the same time. Which can happen easily.

I was simply pointing out that the limitation is NOT necessarily the receiver's limitation. If you can't get OTA, then that's one thing. BTW, antennas can be attic mounted AND you get the best possible picture available, IMO...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)