Dish vs DirecTV

tony_s_fan

Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Putnam, CT
Hi guys,

Considering a switch to Dish Network from DirecTV. What are the advantages to a change? I see Dish offers more/different channels than DTV has. I've been with DTV for so many years, it's hard to change. :) Thoughts???? Thanks!!!!

Hi guys,

Considering a switch to Dish Network from DirecTV. What are the advantages to a change? I see Dish offers more/different channels than DTV has. I've been with DTV for so many years, it's hard to change. :) Thoughts???? Thanks!!!!

If you have two TVs, then you can have a Duo receiver without extra equipment fees. However, we have an extra Duo at $14.00/month. 4 TVs for $14 is still cheaper than 4 TVs for $18 with D*. You can also get service for 3 TVs (a Duo and a Solo) for $7/month currently.

If you like movies, E* seems to have more offerings such as Epix1 HD, Epix 2 HD, The Three from Epix, MoviePlex, IndiePlex, RetroPlex, Shorts HD, etc. than D*. There are some other different channels such as public interest channels that D* seems to be adding lately along with Si TV.

The base package prices tend to be cheaper. It really all depends on your setup.

We like the Sirius XM channels; D* has Sonictap now.

I hope that helps. :)

Let us know if you need some help with picking a package, equipment, etc. I am sure many members of the forum will be willing to help. I think it is important to look at the pros and cons for each provider before making the switch to make sure there are no regrets. We like E* more because we find it to be cheaper.

Mostly the difference is the programming. If you are a really big sports fan D* is better. But if you like movies more E* is better. There are differences in the equipment but those can be pretty much over come with learning to use it. At present if you use the whole house solution the D* has a slight edge but you now can sling the pictures to another room and that helps.

Hi guys,

What do you like? What do you watch? How many TVs and how many are in HD?

Currently Dish has more national basic HD and more to offer in the premium movie channel options, particularly in HD. Dish's DVRs are more solid and perform better/faster. For basic setup with one or two TVs, especially if one TV is SD, Dish will probably be a lot less expensive

DirecTV has more to offer in sports, and more to offer in HD sports even with your own local RSN(s). DirecTV has a better VOD and their DVRs are more interactive and can do more networked to other devices, particularly MRV. When you add a lot of extra equipment such as extra TVs, particularly HD, Direct is less expensive

Basically, if you're a huge sports fan, it's best if you stay with Directv. If not, look at what Dish has to offer, figure out your setup, and compare the costs between both providers for a 24-month time period. (Make sure to add in any promotions and one-time fees if necessary). Feel free to ask any questions if you need any help.

Make sure to check out all and I mean all, of Dish's packages, including the Spanish (Latino) ones. That could take a bit of time. I think there is a decent number of people, myself included who don't even know Spanish, that switched to a "Spanish" package to save money and obtain channels not necessarily available on the English alternative package for a similar price.

Hi guys,

well from someone hta made the change, i couldnt be happier.
but check the channels you watch, if you want hd do they both carry them?

as has been said sure you can do 2 tvs from duo dvr, but one is in sd, one in hd.
that $6 month for an hd unit os worth it
4 HD tvs from direct, $18, (could be all 4 dvr if you like)
4 HD tvs from dish $18-$50 (low end is 1 dvr high end is 4)

the ability to view recordings in any room with mrv is a good selling point.

i actually find D* will be cheaper then my old dish bill once all the promos run out.
our would be if i didnt have the second receiver now

i had no real problems with dish and did like the service, i just got tired of not knowing if they were gonna drop the channels i watched alot
when FX went off the air i decided it was time to ditch them
that and they actually have my locals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)