Dish VS Fios

skierrob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
I've been with Dish since 2003. Since FIOS is now available in my condo complex, I decided to sign up for the 20/5 internet package and also figured I would sign up for the TV service for their 15 day free trial. And after watching FIOS for a while last night, I think I'll be keeping it and canceling Dish Network.

I got a package deal that consists of the 20/5 internet service and the Extreme HD television package for a bundle price of $79.99. That price is good for two years and my understanding is that after the two year period you either pay full price of $57.99 for the 20/5 internet service and another $57.99 for Extreme HD -- OR you sign a new contract and get another promotional bundle price.

The only other cost I have is $15.99 for their DVR (kinda steep) as I only have one TV connected.

Here are some pros and cons for FIOS that I've seen so far for anyone that may be thinking of switching:

FIOS PROS:

1. Price. For the next two years, I'm paying $37.99 for TV service including DVR fee. After that, I'm either paying $73.98 for TV service including DVR fee or signing a new contract to get a lower price. With Dish, I was paying $45.98 for HD Absolute, locals, DVR and Dish CD. Which brings me to #2....

2. Channel selection. The FIOS Extreme HD bundle gives you EVERY non-premium channel that they carry in both SD and HD (like 250+ channels). After filtering out all the junk I immediately knew I didn't want to see (shopping, religion, etc.) and all the SD/HD duplicates, there are still more than 175 channels in my guide! Many more channels than I had with my HD Absolute package, and at a cheaper cost for the next two years. And for everyone that is going to say "But I don't watch SD"....

3. Picture quality. FIOS picture quality is stunning. SD channels are actually very watchable on my 42" plasma and in many cases appear to be almost DVD quality. Looking at FIOS SD, it's amazing to see how much Dish is compressing their SD content. HD is incredible... much better picture quality than Dish. Last night, I was watching the same program on both Dish and FIOS and switching back and forth between them. FIOS won the "does it look better" contest every time.

4. The ability to have SD programming sent to my TV in it's native 480i format instead of being upconverted by the DVR box to 1080i.

FIOS CONS:

1. The DVR. It only has a 160gb hard drive and only records 20 hours of HD programming. I could solve this with a TIVO if I needed to.

2. The guide on the DVR. No where near as nice as Dish's guide and you only see 90 minutes into the future.

3. No map downs of channels. This means, to watch CBS in HD, I need to tune to channel 502 on FIOS instead of channel 2 on Dish.

4. Some menu options are difficult to find in the FIOS DVR. It took me about 45 minutes and a phone call to support to figure out how to keep my FIOS favorites list as the default guide listing and how to have that favorites list as the list of channels that get seen when you do a channel up / down.

5. Instead of using favorites, I'd prefer to lock out channels so I see new channels as they are added. But I haven't yet figured out how to prevent locked out channels from appearing in the guide or from being chose with the channel up/down button on the remote control. There may be a way, but I'm not sure how to do it.

I have thought seriously about getting the Fios bundle and have had two major concerns:

1. The Fios Center Ice package offers only one HD game at any given time. Dish, while not offering as much HD coverage as Directv, at least usually had 2 or 3 games per night in HD.

2. Price. My current HD Absolute package with Dish totals $42/month including tax. From what I saw on the internet, you need a separate receiver for each tv although you can apparently record on the DVR and watch the recording on other tv's in the house. The cost for the DVR shows $20 and $6 for each SD receiver I would require. That's $32 before tax and before program package costs. Overall, I felt I would be paying an additional $50/month plus tax for the internet/phone/tv (HD) than I am currently paying for these services. I would have an upgrade in internet speed, though.

However, if Dish ever cancels HD Absolute, I am ready to jump. It sure would be nice to get my 2 RSN's and the MLB network...

for those who complains about fios dvr, they support cablecard that can be integrated into Vista Media Center PC and you can extend it to up to 8 TV without paying monthly fee. Ofcourse u will need either xbox or extender but DVR experience will be best and storge is limited to ur hard drive.

I've been with Dish since 2003. Since FIOS is now available in my condo complex, I decided to sign up for the 20/5 internet package and also figured I would sign up for the TV service for their 15 day free trial. And after watching FIOS for a while last night, I think I'll be keeping it and canceling Dish Network.
Welcome aboad and please visit us at the FiOS Forum! You've pretty much summed-up what many of us having been saying for a long time...FiOS provides superior picture quality and programming value. As you also mentioned, the FiOS TV HD DVR and EPG are their achilles heel. While we keep around a single FiOS DVR for VOD, we're very happy with the TivoHD since it's almost as good as the Dish Network VIP622/722 series; a large number of us former Dish Networks folks have purchased a TivoHD and added a My DVR...and we're all very happy with 106 national HD channels in the lineup and not having to deal with HD-Lite.

I am still considering a MoxiHD box if they make a few more improvements.

The folks who so casually mention they have or may consider a Tivo for the FiOS service seem to fail to mention the tremendous additional cost of buying the Tivo. Please factor that cost into the total FiOS cost. It would be interesting to see the real cost of a FiOS with Tivo. And don't forget to add the additional monthly Tivo subscription. Such a set-up seems for the wealthy who tout "value." All the numbers, please.

I too have thought of about getting Fios, I also have HD Absolute. I currently pay $29.99 and watch live TV with a HD antenna. I have no contract or commitment with Dish and only watch HD.

My reasons for not having jumped ship yet:

1. Cost - Nothing beats $29.99

2. Picture Quality - I have a friend and In-laws with Fios with a Pioneer/Panasonic plasma and Sony/Samsung LCD. I am yet to see any significant differences in PQ on a well calibrated set.

3. Hd Absolute - For as long as I can keep my current programming.

4. DVR - I currently have the 211 with $0.00 monthly cost.

I just wish Dish could add to my channels from my wish list below:)

I have thought seriously about getting the Fios bundle and have had two major concerns:

1. The Fios Center Ice package offers only one HD game at any given time. Dish, while not offering as much HD coverage as Directv, at least usually had 2 or 3 games per night in HD.

2. Price. My current HD Absolute package with Dish totals $42/month including tax. From what I saw on the internet, you need a separate receiver for each tv although you can apparently record on the DVR and watch the recording on other tv's in the house. The cost for the DVR shows $20 and $6 for each SD receiver I would require. That's $32 before tax and before program package costs. Overall, I felt I would be paying an additional $50/month plus tax for the internet/phone/tv (HD) than I am currently paying for these services. I would have an upgrade in internet speed, though.

However, if Dish ever cancels HD Absolute, I am ready to jump. It sure would be nice to get my 2 RSN's and the MLB network...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)