Dish vs. U-Verse (AT&T Fiber)

Another question: does anyone know what "Select recordings are not available to transfer." means in reference to the Dish Anywhere transfer recordings functionality? How would one know whether a recording is likely to be eligible for transfer ahead of time?

I most often use streaming to watch something at lunch at work. Transfers, not so often, for watching while out of town.

Generally, the most recent movies may be "no copy" rather than "copy once" or looser controls. Hard to tell. I just figure the newest movies and events are not transferable.

I most often use streaming to watch something at lunch at work. Transfers, not so often, for watching while out of town.

Generally, the most recent movies may be "no copy" rather than "copy once" or looser controls. Hard to tell. I just figure the newest movies and events are not transferable.

Cool, would it be safe to say that regular TV shows (non-movies) on network and cable channels should be transferable in most cases?

Update: it was a difficult decision, but I decided to go with Dish. Install is scheduled for next Friday AM. I really liked the channel package U-verse offered, but I couldn't justify passing on all the advanced functionality that the Hopper3 offers. I don't really like the way companies try to tie you to them as a customer by bundling services. Firstly, you don't get the best of breed solutions that way, and secondly, if you dislike something about one of their services, there is an additional barrier to leaving that you have to overcome to do so. Yes, there are benefits, but I don't like giving up the freedom to easily change.

By looking at our actual data use on Wireless, and reducing the Unlimited plan to something that matches what we really use, I was able to make up for the loss of free HBO and the $25 discount on U-verse/DirecTV. This way, I am getting what we want, but not having to pay any extra for it. It is actually going to cost us about $1 less per month than we are paying now, not including the free HBO for a year promo on Dish.

I do have negative and positive things to say about the ordering process. The ordering process was easy, but they randomly downgraded me to a HWS (not because of credit, just some reason they could not explain). When I asked to have an H3 instead, they wanted me to pay a leased receiver fee of $50 + tax. I told them that was not acceptable as that is not what I was originally offered, and they transferred me to another CSR, who immediately cancelled the fee. So, in the end, a good result (seemingly, time will tell), but what the heck with the equipment swap and then trying to charge me a fee for something they advertise is free if you have excellent credit? I have an 832 out of 850 as of last week, so I know it isn't that. The second CSR just said it was "the system." I hope I didn't do something to annoy the MCP! ;)

Anyway, I am looking forward to the install next Friday.

ncted, Make sure that when the installer comes to your house, that he really has a Hopper 3. Do not let him start the install unless he has a Hopper 3.

Yeah, definitely. At least the order confirmation is correct now:

Equipment
  • 2 Joey 2
  • 1 Hopper 3

Reactions: littlecloud319
Setup question: I need to connect one of the Joeys via coax since there is no ethernet in that room, but the other will have to be ethernet since there is no coax, and I do not want to run new cable to either location. I know the Hopper3 has 2 ethernet ports on the back. Do I need to connect both to my gigabit home network for the ethernet-connected Joey to work, or will a single ethernet connection work?

I know I had connected my Joey to my Hopper 2000 via ethernet in my old house, but that was years ago, and I do not recall whether both ports had to be connected.

Thanks,
Ted

Don't forget to consider getting the Dish USB Toaster. It is said to also pick up a couple of OTA channels if you connect an antenna to it.

I still have a OTA adapter from my Hopper 2000. Will that work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)