DISH -VS- VOOM - A Settlement has been reached!

This is great news! Watching land of the dead now. Nicer that they got it on in time for tonights episode of TWD. Thanks dish for this, my roku and all the credits you so graciously gave to me. :)

It really seems that dish came out the winner.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

PTVC said:
A $500M loss is is still a loss.

Your are Wrong.

That's a lot more than $200M. Closer to the $1B I predicted. Its good they settled though.

Dish had amassed $5.6B through debt offerings, among other things over spring/summer.

Give the guy a break, he can't help being wrong (;)). $700M is a long way off from $200M, so the better analysts were a hell of a lot closer.

The good news is, we all got what we wanted. The subscriber got free Roku's and credits, Cablevision got $700M and a long-term agreement to carry AMC, etc, and Dish got the MVDDS and the subscriber off their back.

Its $80 million for the purchase of Cablevision?s multichannel video and data distribution service (MVDDS - 12.2-12.7 GHz range) licenses in 45 metropolitan areas in the U.S. Dish has the wireless bug and wants that triple-threat (data, video, voice). At some point Dish was affiliated with South.com which holds 37 licenses, I am not sure if they are still affiliated, but if they are, with the 45 licenses from Cablevision, they'd hold the majority of the 214 licenses.

$620M is smack in the middle of $200M and $1B, proved that analyst and his source was more accurate than your beloved star analyst which said very likely $1B, of course even more so than both of you two that claimed Charlie was going to craw to AMC ask for mercy.

Who needs a break? Are you two just have no shame?:)

Now that Dish seemed to have "gotten away with it", let's look back at the crying lady in the courtroom. Recall she accused of VOOM star attorney of ruining her reputation?

I thought it was odd she did it, if indeed the files they dug up from her laptop was damaging to her reputation. It could be that those files had proven Dish and her case to some extent. That follows logic why she snapped at the guy and his father.

I was also very puzzled by the judge's sudden change of heart with respect to delaying the case. He complained loudly when the Dish's attorney caused that one-day delay, but abruptly declared a three-day delay with some odd reason of "jury conflict". When odd things happen, it is often because the situation had changed.

Again pure speculation, with some logic nevertheless.

Scott Greczkowski said:
DISH got a great deal on the spectrum. Verizon just purchase 50 other licenses from Cablevision for $750 million.

Chances are they say $80M on paper just to save Cablevision's face. Charlie could have just got the $200M he offered after all.

One of the posts said that the 20% stake that Dish had in Voom was returned to AMC/Cablevision. If this is true it would be interesting to know what the value of that is on the current market. Was the 20% only in Voom or did it include a portion of the parent companies?

Now that IFC and Sundance will be restored to Dish's lineup on Nov. 1, will AMC restore the channels' content quality to their pre-commercial-laden state? :D

Now if the guide would just show anything past the 7pm walking dead repeat...No manual timers on the hopper and I can't seem to force a guide download by doing a point dish/check switch like I used to do either... :(I guess some of us are NEVER happy! LOL!

I wonder how much this actually cost dish after all this. The settlement cost and whatever incentives/roku was. BUT how much did they not end up paying on the Voom contract itself?

DISH got a great deal on the spectrum. Verizon just purchase 50 other licenses from Cablevision for $750 million.

Different spectrum, this cannot be use for mobile phone communications. The VZ purchase was mobile PCS band spectrum, very valuable spectrum.

The spectrum Dish purchased is very limited. It is for one thing only one way communications. If you remember back to the Northpoint days, it is actually the 12.2 to 12.7 GHZ DBS band. These licenses are the one that the transmission tower only broadcasts the signal southward and the receivers point to a northern tower. It is line of site only, and low power so it does not interfere with DBS satellite reception.

Essentially Dish could do something like VOD, perhaps even paired with their satellite service. You send up a request and they stream data/movie/etc back to you via the terrestrial towers. Perhaps they could pair it up with band they are asking for conversion to LTE. You could for example send a request for a movie via the LTE network, and the movie is routed to your tower where with 500MHZ spectrum they could stream down your movie pretty quickly.

Of course they would have to build out an extensive network of towers, and unlike cell towers these would not be omni directional, you have to have LOS and the tower has to be North of you.

Dont forget the Hopper Local Network Court case over commercial skip. One could guess that some day the Locals owned by the big 4 could be at risk some day.

TIVO - Done

VOOM/AMC - Done

Now Dish lets get it done with ESPN/ABC so we can get ESPNU in HD!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts