DISH -VS- VOOM - A Settlement has been reached!

Scott Greczkowski said:
DISH got a great deal on the spectrum. Verizon just purchase 50 other licenses from Cablevision for $750 million.

It was all about the spectrum. Voom got a nice pile of money but charlie got big chunk of wireless which covered the cost of the deal . Remember, he said sat tv in US is only 1 perecent/year and he was looking for greener pastures.

$620M is smack in the middle of $200M and $1B, proved that analyst and his source was more accurate than your beloved star analyst which said very likely $1B, of course even more so than both of you two that claimed Charlie was going to craw to AMC ask for mercy.

Almost smack in the middle, but I am not the one getting cocky over $300M My prediction [look back at my posts ;)] was that it would be no lower than $500M but would be around $1B.

How do you know Charlie didn't get down on his knobby knees, crawl to the Dolans and kiss their feet? We don't know everything contained in the settlement, do we? :D

Now that Dish seemed to have "gotten away with it", let's look back at the crying lady in the courtroom. Recall she accused of VOOM star attorney of ruining her reputation?

Dish settled, so they didn't get away with anything. Winning would have been the way to get away with it. And who cares about Crying Carolyn Crawford? If it were the emmy winning performance I am willing to bet Charlie had hoped for, we'd all be talking about a mistrial. :p

I thought it was odd she did it, if indeed the files they dug up from her laptop was damaging to her reputation. It could be that those files had proven Dish and her case to some extent. That follows logic why she snapped at the guy and his father.

She snapped because she didn't like the dressing down she got by the Judge, and I am sure she wasn't happy about having to give up her laptop either. Had to be an embarassing moment for her.

I was also very puzzled by the judge's sudden change of heart with respect to delaying the case. He complained loudly when the Dish's attorney caused that one-day delay, but abruptly declared a three-day delay with some odd reason of "jury conflict". When odd things happen, it is often because the situation had changed.

Again pure speculation, with some logic nevertheless.

Do you know it wasn't a jury conflict?

Not that any of this matters anymore. Unless something unforeseen happens, its technically settled and we got AMC & TWD back. :popcorn

I wonder how much this actually cost dish after all this. The settlement cost and whatever incentives/roku was. BUT how much did they not end up paying on the Voom contract itself?

Good question. $700M may not seem like a lot but, no matter how you slice it, once you add in attorney fees, credits, Roku's and any other subscriber bribe, this was not a win for Dish. However, I'll keep saying we made out like bandits. :)

It was all about the spectrum. Voom got a nice pile of money but charlie got big chunk of wireless which covered the cost of the deal . Remember, he said sat tv in US is only 1 perecent/year and he was looking for greener pastures.

These days.... spectrum is gold. Even if Dish doesn't use it. They can sell it to someone that will or trade it for something better.

OMG dish made out like a bandit. I can't believe they got the MVDDS licenses too and only paid 700 million.

I sure hope they use the MVDDS and just don't sit on it. CableVision company in FL 50Mbps Down http://omgfast.com/

Say hello to Dish broadband. (Sure glad I own the stock :) )

Last edited:
These days.... spectrum is gold. Even if Dish doesn't use it. They can sell it to someone that will or trade it for something better.

This spectrum is not gold, it is tin at best. It is terrestrial reuse of DBS frequencies, it is one way only. You have to have a tower to the north of you to receive it so it does not interfere with Dish/DIRECTV satellites in the southern sky. You cannot transmit back since your transmission could interfere with satellite dishes north of you. Dish and DIRECTV fought the FCC to prevent it from being sold in the first place because of worries over interference issues. It was eventually tested in FL and was shown it could be done without interference to DBS satellites so the FCC auctioned it off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MVDDS

The entire country auction was worth only $137 million.

Again to fully use this Dish would have to build towers all over since existing cell towers could only serve those south of them. It is also LOS only since 12.2-12.7 GHZ can be blocked by almost anything (i.e. rainfade).

Just received this email from Dish:

DISH is pleased to announce that we have reached a multi-year agreement with AMC Networks, which has restored AMC on channel 131.

All customers will be able to enjoy AMC in free preview on channel 131, and for fans of The Walking Dead, the first episode of the season will be available on-demand for a limited time*. Please check your channel guide for a complete listing.

We appreciate your patience during this time and thank you for being a valued DISH customer.

Sincerely,

DISH

You seem to be trying to set yourself up to be able to say "see I told you so" It's already been pointed out of course there is going to be a price increase hasn't been one on the packages for two years. Seems silly to then try and make a case that it wouldn't have gone up as much etc etc... You can say it did I can say it didn't where's the proof going to come from? I'm not saying some of an increase may not be related. But that's the case with many things any company encounters. But now that we see the settlement Dish isn't out that much given they have not had to pay the last years of the Voom contract. I really don't see much more fall out from all this and that includes any real additional increases more than there is going to be.

ONLY stating the obvious. There will always be price hikes and any settlements will only add to the total price paid by us all.

No again VZ purchased AWS cell phone frequencies from CVC, NOT this spectrum.

That's what I thought. Dish purchased MVDDS licenses, and from what I read, there were only 214 licenses in total with Cablevision owning 46, South.com [Dish affiliate still?] owning 37, 80 belonging to MDS Operations (the balance with 8 other companies) although, that all could have changed by now.

Does anyone know if these licenses had anything to do with Cablevision's OMGFAST?

Last edited:
Here you go again. Of course they are coming after two years. :rolleyes:

NO sh*t Sherlock.:rolleyes:

But now the price we pay, will most assuredly reflect a higher amount for us all ,due to this settlement. DISH isn't going to simply absorb the higher cost associated with the higher price of carrying the AMC , WE , IFC, and Sundance channels. If you don't think it will , you really haven't been paying attention to the industry or DISH history. And that will be my final word on the subject to you KAB. I will not be pulled into one of your mental tirades, disguised as commentary. You simply are not worth all the trouble to debate it with you. :coffee

I am glad this matter is finally coming to a close. Dish got a great deal. Congrats to all you Dish subs in getting AMC back & happy viewing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)