DISH -VS- VOOM - A Settlement has been reached!

From the front page "Dish and Voom reach settlement" Does that mean I get my MonsterHD back? :)

It'd be cool if they would re-launch it. We need an all horror and scifi movie channel...uncut & uncensored with absolutely no on screen crap and that leaves the end credits alone.

Claude, you knew prices would increase regardless of what happened. No way Dish would go that long with a price freeze to just keep the prices the same when it's over. I think having a price freeze almost guarantees that prices will go up after it ends.

Whenever someone says "because of Dish's price freeze", I just have to laugh. I've read this over and over in this thread. I mean are you guys serious? All they did was increased the package price twice as much as normal in 2011 and said "no price increase for 2 years!". Surely this hasn't been forgotten already

So, if the agreement brings back FUSE and not MSG, wouldn't it be ironic since the reason why DISH dropped MSG was that they were being forced to also carry FUSE? I would hope it includes MSG, even if there isn't hockey this year.

I was shocked to see in the settlement that FUSE was returning. I'm surprised FUSE still exists as a channel, it was awful enough when it was on Dish and based on their schedule it now looks like nothing but a bunch of syndicated rereuns (Don't Forget The Lyrics) and hip-hop videos.

Having the history of the industry hiking prices on your side is not much a foresight, or much a hindsight.

I suspect a lot of people like Dish for the innovative technologies and programming provided in the past. They came at certain expenses. If you want to be on the cutting edge, you need to be willing to take risks, and expect to be affected by the risks.

VOOM was a good example of a cutting edge service gone bad. Alternatively and realistically, Dish can learn a lesson or two and play safe from now on, but then there will no longer be reasons for you to like it, Dish will be just like every other provider.

BTW, any price hike will not be dictated by the settlement, rather by how much the market can bear. Dish cannot price itself out of contention with its competitors.

That's correct to price themselves out of the market would kill them with the competition.That is why I see a 2 year price hike and the rest of it spread out on other areas. Like DVR FEES or any other FEES that DISH can get away with.

It was just two years ago in February that DISH created the new equipment FEE structure that went from a simple $5.00 additional receiver fee for sd and $6.00 for hd , to the assorted structure tied to their new class of receivers. So instead of $6.00 for an additional receiver like the 722k , you would now pay $17.00. For the 922 if you had two it would be $21.00 . This was done to roll all their assorted fees like the Tv 2 fee for $5.00 and the dvr fee at the time $5.98, into the bigger equipment fee. To hide the extra fees because they had the reputation of being the KING of FEES. They also had the DVR FEE per DVR receiver, that discouraged most to drop their second dvrs off their accounts or trade them in for 211ks with dvr software and external hard drives, in order to escape the extra $10.00 fee on the 722/722k/ dvrs. They hid about $3.00 of their dvr fees in the equipment fees in order to claim that they have only one dvr fee per account.

They have also recently hiked the price of different sports packs like the RED ZONE channel . Went from $7.00 last year to I think it is $9.00 or $10.00 a month now? they will spread the additional cost of this lawsuit and the additional cost of carrying these channels through out their fee structure , their ala carte packs, as well. DISH has a long history of creating fees and I am sure we will see a new standardized fee structure for DVRs. I am betting a standard $10.00 across for all dvrs. It has been almost three years since the 2010 equipment fee increase,why not increase it again?

Believe me , I see DISH will do something like this, because if they included all the costs into one price hike , it would most likely be in the $10.00 range. We have had an $8.00 increase in the past , so $10.00 wouldn't be out of range . But like you said and I agree with you , they would price themselves right out of the market. That is why they moved to the Hopper /joey system because their equipment fee shakeup didn't help them build subs. It has the opposite effect and they lost subs quarter after quarter. The Hopper has helped bring them back. So has the newer $7.00 per joey AND additional HOPPER. It has helped make them once again : competitive in the industry.

I hope that DISH will be merciful in February with their price hikes and new fees or increase on their fees, but I just don't see it. As I've said before , DISH ALWAYS makes PROFITS ,even when they lose subs quarter after quarter.

Last edited:
Whenever someone says "because of Dish's price freeze", I just have to laugh. I've read this over and over in this thread. I mean are you guys serious? All they did was increased the package price twice as much as normal in 2011 and said "no price increase for 2 years!". Surely this hasn't been forgotten already

Oh, it has been forgotten by quite a few. Those here that love DISH so much , they can see no wrong done by this company and those who haven't been with DISH that long and don't know it's history with price hikes. Those of us that have been with DISH for as long as I have , no these gimmicks and tricks . Anytime a company has a price Freeze, and I do mean DIRECTV as well, it is done after a significant increase in one year. Then they claim : "We haven't hiked our price in two years ,while others in the industry have." This is a gimmick done by that company to help advertise their low prices over that year. They get the best bang for their buck that way.

Dish Network like any other company is going to try to raise prices / make as much profit any way they can. Other costs that they incur will not make any difference as they cannot raise prices anymore than what they do as they raise it as much as they can get away with anyways. It is money out of their pocket for any loss. They cannot charge more than what they believe that they can get away with (what the market can bear).

Oh, it has been forgotten by quite a few. Those here that love DISH so much , they can see no wrong done by this company and those who haven't been with DISH that long and don't know it's history with price hikes. Those of us that have been with DISH for as long as I have , no these gimmicks and tricks . Anytime a company has a price Freeze, and I do mean DIRECTV as well, it is done after a significant increase in one year. Then they claim : "We haven't hiked our price in two years ,while others in the industry have." This is a gimmick done by that company to help advertise their low prices over that year. They get the best bang for their buck that way.

I'd say it's a pretty smart tactic actually. The majority of people are quick to forget and many others really had no idea what the original prices were. Regardless of what you want to call it, Dish has not changed their package prices in two years and no matter what has happened in the past those packages are going to increase some amount.

Unless they also added YES and SNY, they probably would do little to attract NYC sports fans, so why bother. Dish ceded that market long ago.
Of course Dish could do what DirectTV does and charge extra to NY customers to pay for those RSN's. But I'm Dish has determined that they can make a bigger profit charging normal prices without them, than $5 more with them.

At long last!!!! I loved those old VOOM channels. Back when there was limited HD content, nearly 40% of my viewing was of VOOM channels. Especially before Dish down-rezzed and bandwidth-starved them.

Of course Dish could do what DirectTV does and charge extra to NY customers to pay for those RSN's. But I'm Dish has determined that they can make a bigger profit charging normal prices without them, than $5 more with them.

To be fair I don't think Direct is charging NY customers more, at least they were not. They do charge some who get the NY RSN's and another RSN because of where they live. I have said in the past it's a matter of time before Direct does start charging more in certain areas beyond what it does now.
My area in Eastern Ct. is a prime example, we are in the coverage area of all the NY RSN's and the Boston RSN's. So if you have Direct TV you are paying the same for 5 RSN's as some who get two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)