Dish vs Voom

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mf01

Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
So with all of the Voom junk going on I'm thinking about getting Dish. Dish offers the same HD content that I actually watch with exception of UHD. Dish is offerring 2 HD and 2 SD receivers for free with free install and activation and programming at 29.99 with free HD for 6 months. I pay 6X.XX with just basic Voom and 2 HD receivers. I figure what do I have to lose. Well I might lose PQ on HD and SD channels, so I'm looking for someone who's had both. Is the SD and HD picture quality as good as Voom? What type of strech modes does the HD Dish bo:mad:811) have? Are there any cloud coverage problems with Dish? Does anyone know if they will offer HD locals on Satellite instead of OTA? Sorry for all of the questions, but I just want to know what I'd be getting.

Thanks

OTA nightmare

OK, first of all if you hold your breath waiting for Dish to provide HD locals, your grandkids will be blue in the face. OK, maybe a *little* sarcasm. Not much.

Second, OTA will first of all depend on your geographic situation, and what's broadcasted in your area. Check antennaweb.org.

Third, do you need a DVR? If so, then be VERY careful. The 921 - for me - was extremely buggy with OTA to the point of making it unworkable.

I honestly did NOT have any weather related issues with Dish. However, I did see significant reduction in quality of SD picture quality. This, to the point that cable analog channels look pretty much as good as my Dish SD locals. I have no idea about Voom PQ. HD looks better OTA than on Dish. It also "typically" looks slightly better on cable than on Dish. However, every once in a while I get some pixilation on cable that I didn't get on Dish on HD.

mf01 said:
So with all of the Voom junk going on I'm thinking about getting Dish. Dish offers the same HD content that I actually watch with exception of UHD. Dish is offerring 2 HD and 2 SD receivers for free with free install and activation and programming at 29.99 with free HD for 6 months. I pay 6X.XX with just basic Voom and 2 HD receivers. I figure what do I have to lose. Well I might lose PQ on HD and SD channels, so I'm looking for someone who's had both. Is the SD and HD picture quality as good as Voom? What type of strech modes does the HD Dish bo:mad:811) have? Are there any cloud coverage problems with Dish? Does anyone know if they will offer HD locals on Satellite instead of OTA? Sorry for all of the questions, but I just want to know what I'd be getting.

Thanks

wmhjr said:
Second, OTA will first of all depend on your geographic situation, and what's broadcasted in your area. Check antennaweb.org.

Third, do you need a DVR?

However, I did see significant reduction in quality of SD picture quality. This, to the point that cable analog channels look pretty much as good as my Dish SD locals. I have no idea about Voom PQ. HD looks better OTA than on Dish. It also "typically" looks slightly better on cable than on Dish. However, every once in a while I get some pixilation on cable that I didn't get on Dish on HD.

I have OTA with Voom and I currently don't get Fox. Voom doesn't broadcast locals HD or otherwise. At least with Dish I would have Fox in SD.

I'm using an htpc for DVR, so not a necessity.

I have a compared my Voom HD and SD with Time Warner Cable and Voom had better picture quality in both categories. I was hoping that Dish would have better than cable SD and HD quality, I guess they compress it too much.

I'm in the same boat. Can't even imagine what can replace voom. will hold on till it goes black. Then, am here trying to find out channel lineups for comcast, dish and directv. Am told by a pro filmer, comcast will be the best signal, so am considering that for the first time in 10 years, had directv before voom. already have analogue comcast though and it is miserable, only watch it for Sonics games. Feel like I'm going back to black and white, if there were only a million or two of me, voom might have made it. I'll look at comcast's hd lineup first because of my friends imput about pq. I'm hearing cable's really come up in the world. If dtv or dish pick up voom's programming, don't know if that's even possible, I'll be there. Voom could ,you know, still be there for a while. Hang on till it dies, there could be surprises -the eternal optimist.

Be careful with Comcrap. The HD signal may be better, but it may not. In many areas, Comcrap compresses more than any of the Satellite providers. It just depends on where you live. Also, the analog channels that you are receiving do not change when you get a digital box. They are still broadcast in analog.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts