Dish wally question

KG4KBU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Corbin, KY
Can i have a dish wally and dish 211 on the same account (system) and would I nees to have some changes made to my satellite lnbf ?? Thanks. I would like to get rid of the dish 722 because i don't use dvr really. Also would this reduce my cost per month ??

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Can i have a dish wally and dish 211 on the same account (system) and would I nees to have some changes made to my satellite lnbf ?? Thanks. I would like to get rid of the dish 722 because i don't use dvr really. Also would this reduce my cost per month ??

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
IF you eliminate the 722 dvr and go with just the 211k and the wally I can't see them objecting since the wally and the 211k or like the same type of one sat tuner boxes ,but you would have to ask DISH to be sure. If you pay the one time $40.00 fee and use your own external hard drive , you can turn both boxes into dvrs with no monthly dvr fees.

I'm afraid dish will not let you use a Wally with a 211 at the moment. I have tried to swap 211 for Wally because of customer requests and get denied by all the CSR's.
Wally is nothing to special anyway get another 211 and profit.

Reactions: vcsatellite
So, what would be the pros and cons of replacing a 211k and 2x 211 with 3 Wallys?
(Hopper and 2 Joeys is a much higher cost due to fees and I don't need access to everything everywhere all the time)

Would my existing EHD activation carry over to the Wallys (as it did when I added the 211s from my initial 211k activation)?
If not is it a one time fee for all Wallys or per receiver now?

I understand that the data format is different and I'd loose anything recorded. (Which was a dumb move if you ask me. They could easily have added support for the older EHDs on the new receivers)

Just wondering if the new UI is worth the effort. I don't currently have Ethernet to the receivers (but probably could if worthwhile), and my BD/DVD is Wi-Fi connected for Netflix, Vudu, etc.

So, what would be the pros and cons of replacing a 211k and 2x 211 with 3 Wallys?
(Hopper and 2 Joeys is a much higher cost due to fees and I don't need access to everything everywhere all the time)

Would my existing EHD activation carry over to the Wallys (as it did when I added the 211s from my initial 211k activation)?
If not is it a one time fee for all Wallys or per receiver now?

I understand that the data format is different and I'd loose anything recorded. (Which was a dumb move if you ask me. They could easily have added support for the older EHDs on the new receivers)

Just wondering if the new UI is worth the effort. I don't currently have Ethernet to the receivers (but probably could if worthwhile), and my BD/DVD is Wi-Fi connected for Netflix, Vudu, etc.

I went from a 211 to Wally and can confirm you DO NOT pay the EHD fee again when you change.
Also can confirm that Wally will have you reformat the drive so you will lose all existing recordings.
As for it being worth it. The Wally is much more responsive that the 211. The UI is nice. I will say there are a few bugs still. When you are done watching a DVR program and delete it while while watching it doesn't actually delete. Pausing while watching OTA channel doesn't work right.

I went from a 211 to Wally and can confirm you DO NOT pay the EHD fee again when you change.
Also can confirm that Wally will have you reformat the drive so you will lose all existing recordings.
As for it being worth it. The Wally is much more responsive that the 211. The UI is nice. I will say there are a few bugs still. When you are done watching a DVR program and delete it while while watching it doesn't actually delete. Pausing while watching OTA channel doesn't work right.

Thanks. Since I don't use OTA that doesn't matter, but the delete bug might get annoying, depending on the specifics.
(Go a link to a discussion of it?)

Much more responsive? I never really felt my 211s were not.

I guess I need to find someplace that has one setup and explore the new UI.

I'd really like to just replace the 211s with 211ks (but probably not 211zs) and call it a day. The big silver units still bug me after several years.
Though maybe the Wally would be a good alternative.

Reactions: Troch77

So the Wally using an EHD is not compatible with the 211? You can't swap between them? Does the Wally drive then work with the VIP/Hopper?

So the Wally using an EHD is not compatible with the 211? You can't swap between them? Does the Wally drive then work with the VIP/Hopper?
The Wally is using the new CUI, so that is probably why the EHD isn't transferable between 211s and Wallys. No, the EHD will not be transferable to a Hopper, just like the EHDs associated with 211s aren't transferable to VIPs....

The Wally is using the new CUI, so that is probably why the EHD isn't transferable between 211s and Wallys. No, the EHD will not be transferable to a Hopper, just like the EHDs associated with 211s aren't transferable to VIPs....

It's probably me not understanding, are you saying the Wally EHD is not compatible with either 211's or VIP's/Hopper?

It's probably me not understanding, are you saying the Wally EHD is not compatible with either 211's or VIP's/Hopper?

That's the way I understand it.
The EHD on the Wally only works with other Wallys.
The EHD on the 211 series only works on other 211s, you can move between 211, 211k, and 211z.

I assume you and Bobby are referring to the ViP DVRs since the 211 is a ViP series receiver.

Reactions: Tampa8
Yes, well known 211's don't go with the VIP DVR's I was unaware they also can't use EHD from a Wally.

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks. Since I don't use OTA that doesn't matter, but the delete bug might get annoying, depending on the specifics.
(Go a link to a discussion of it?)

Much more responsive? I never really felt my 211s were not.

I guess I need to find someplace that has one setup and explore the new UI.

I'd really like to just replace the 211s with 211ks (but probably not 211zs) and call it a day. The big silver units still bug me after several years.
Though maybe the Wally would be a good alternative.
My 211z are instant with commands.
I don't see how a Wally is any faster.

I wouldn't throw out your 211s just yet.

I heard the same line , The "Hopper is so much faster than the 722"
Guess what , It's not.
(Except ON Demand).
Then it was the "H2 is so much faster than the H1"
Another myth...

So far the only thing I noticed is the Joey 2 "CR" is faster than the Joey 1, but that isn't saying much considering that Joey 1 is a POC.

And now I'm sure the Wally and the Hopper 3 are so fast.

Until I actually get one and realized I fell for the same old story...

OH almost forgot about how fast that 922 was,

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: DishTech0607
I wouldn't throw out your 211s just yet.

Seams to be the best plan. Dish won't replace my 211s with 211ks, just as they wouldn't send me 211ks back when I replaced the 311 and 501 (2011 I think. When they decided to charge DVR fees for the 501)

But it does appear I can buy one 3rd party which you couldn't back when I got mine.
And the CSR on chat said that the protection plan would still cover them (not sure about that).

So, time to see what I can find. The big ugly silver 211 has been a thorn in my side for a while.
That's what has me interested in the Wally to begin with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts