Dish Wally Reception Error (Complete Signal Loss)

Hyphen

Original poster
Feb 11, 2024
Florida
I sat a PS5 on top of my Wally for a couple of days. Never turned it or the Wally on at that time. Moved the PS5 today and turned my Wally on and I'm now getting a Complete Signal Loss error. Two other receivers in other rooms, they all work perfectly.

Talked to support, they are trying to force a technician out here. Don't want that, they are a headache to deal with. Given that no other variables changed, is it possible that the PS5 managed to damage the receive in some way and affect its ability to receive satellite signal?

Any ideas for what I can do to fix this on my own? I'm considering just getting a replacement Wally off of Amazon. The support agent I talked to swears that won't fix it. What will I need to do to set up a replacement receiver? Can I just take the card out of my old receiver, put it in the new one, and turn it on?

I once went to a call where a 211 in a garage had no signal. The cable coming from the LNB was dead but the other 2 ports - in use - worked. So I changed the LNB and tested the signal at the box before connecting it, and it was good. Connected the cable, and booted up the 211 - no signal. WTH?? Put my meter on the cable, it was dead.

the 211 was sitting on top of a stereo receiver. Just on a whim, I slid a thin piece of OSB under the 211, replaced the LNB again, connected everything up, and voila! All was good.

Somehow, being on the stereo receiver was sending voltage back to the LNB. Enough to kill that output. The board interrupted whatever was causing it

I once went to a call where a 211 in a garage had no signal. The cable coming from the LNB was dead but the other 2 ports - in use - worked. So I changed the LNB and tested the signal at the box before connecting it, and it was good. Connected the cable, and booted up the 211 - no signal. WTH?? Put my meter on the cable, it was dead.

the 211 was sitting on top of a stereo receiver. Just on a whim, I slid a thin piece of OSB under the 211, replaced the LNB again, connected everything up, and voila! All was good.

Somehow, being on the stereo receiver was sending voltage back to the LNB. Enough to kill that output. The board interrupted whatever was causing it
Can you elaborate on these ports? Are these on the Wally receiver? I see on another forum, someone had my same problem and said that "port B turned out bad, so now they're using ports A and C until one fails."

Reactions: charlesrshell
I seriously doubt it's the receiver. I'd unplug receiver and also disconnect the cable from receiver and let it sit a few minutes and even rub your finger across the connector or get a screwdriver and touch center conductor to outer casing. Just to make sure no static electricity. Then reconnect anything and see if it works. Also as mentioned swap receivers with anither room. If problem follows it's the receiver and if problem stays in same room it's the cable or dead port on lnb.

I seriously doubt it's the receiver. I'd unplug receiver and also disconnect the cable from receiver and let it sit a few minutes and even rub your finger across the connector or get a screwdriver and touch center conductor to outer casing. Just to make sure no static electricity. Then reconnect anything and see if it works. Also as mentioned swap receivers with anither room. If problem follows it's the receiver and if problem stays in same room it's the cable or dead port on lnb.
Okay, will try tomorrow. Not there now so can't take a picture, but there's a connector between my receiver and the coax line. Does anyone know what that connector might be?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Also, if I were to get to the point where my only option is replacing the Wally, I understand I'd need to call Dish and get them to remove my old receiver ID from my account and add this new one. My question is, when I hook up my new Wally, will I be able to verify satellite signal in the diagnostics before ever having to call Dish to activate the service? Basically, I want to know if I can verify that the new receiver has fixed my issue before ever having to call Dish—if it doesn't fix it, I'd rather not spend the time on the phone with them just to realize I'm still at a complete signall loss.

Reactions: reubenray
Also, if I were to get to the point where my only option is replacing the Wally, I understand I'd need to call Dish and get them to remove my old receiver ID from my account and add this new one. My question is, when I hook up my new Wally, will I be able to verify satellite signal in the diagnostics before ever having to call Dish to activate the service? Basically, I want to know if I can verify that the new receiver has fixed my issue before ever having to call Dish—if it doesn't fix it, I'd rather not spend the time on the phone with them just to realize I'm still at a complete signall loss.
You won't get far enough to activate if there's no signal. You'll know within a couple minutes of booting up.

As far as that connector if it's just a straight connector it's fine as long as there's no water damage. Disconnect both ends and check for corrosion. If there is corrosion then that's your issue. If it's clean and shiny then your issue is somewhere else.

Also I know you're trying to avoid a tech, not sure why you think they're a pain to deal with. But if you had setup a tech visit you'd already be fixed by now for free.

Wallys "can" be a real pain in the rear. A couple things to check, make sure it isn't stuck in the "tuner 0" glitch. Go to the signal strength screen, and make sure tuner 1 is selected, then try the the switch check again. It can take a bit of "smacking it around" (so to speak) to get past that issue, we see it all the time. 2nd thing (maybe 1st) I would try is swap it with one of the receivers you said was working fine. Easy way to see if it is the receiver or the cable.