Dish Will Spend $1B on First Phase of Wireless Buildout

If I’m not mistaken it was 8 or 9 years ago Charlie said that people want to watch their video on a tv screen and not a computer.

Granted I totally get device connectivity, but that what a wireless router is for.

Granted voice is a dying product, and people will always have a need to speak on the phone. Just not on a traditional home phone.

I hope Dish doesn’t think people are going to pay per device such as for every wireless camera or amazon echo etc.

If I’m not mistaken it was 8 or 9 years ago Charlie said that people want to watch their video on a tv screen and not a computer.

Granted I totally get device connectivity, but that what a wireless router is for.

Granted voice is a dying product, and people will always have a need to speak on the phone. Just not on a traditional home phone.

I hope Dish doesn’t think people are going to pay per device such as for every wireless camera or amazon echo etc.
If anyone can think up new Fees it’s Charlie. I always said he was the King of Made up, charge it because we can , FEES. Ironically these very fees are some of what is causing all the cord cutting on the satellite side of the business. The other thing causing churn and cord cutting is the ever increasing program costs.

ATT has also announced 5G service plans for 2018. This would be a 4 GBPS internet. Delivery is wireless to a radio antenna at your home wired to a router in your house. It would allow downloading a 100 gig 4K movie in less than 4 minutes. It would also have the speeds to run auto driving systems. The big cities will get it first. In the 4G technology case it took about 4 years to get it to smaller cities and another couple years to get to rural America.

I'm sure that will the case in a lab somewhere. Real world, not even close.

Cell ? You are going old school who actually talks or answers the phone anymore. Dish is forward thinking on this . Pretty much Everything in the near future is going to be connected one way or another to the internet. That’s why they are building this internet of things service. It’s going to bring in billions even if they just lease it out .Its nice att is burying fiber everywhere but I can’t drag it around town with me it’s pretty much stationary.

And when the next large scale DoS attack takes down a bunch of servers and people can't talk on their phones, unlock their doors or start their car I will be the first one to laugh at how pathetic people have become to be so depended on something as fragile as the internet.

If anyone can think up new Fees it’s Charlie. I always said he was the King of Made up, charge it because we can , FEES. Ironically these very fees are some of what is causing all the cord cutting on the satellite side of the business. The other thing causing churn and cord cutting is the ever increasing program costs.

Remember when Dish said they where better than everyone else by NOT charging a DVR fee?

Then Dish not only charged a DVR fee, but a DVR fee per receiver! Not per account like other providers.

The problem with Dish, Direct, etc that their outlay of $$$ has increased so much through the years. At one time Dish had East/west locals. Today they offer about all markets. All of this continues to cost Dish a lot of money. Add to that their subscriber numbers have dropped. Everything continues to cost more money. I know of more that are cutting the cord but that is not always the best answer either, as all channels are not offered. I am glad I still have my single vip211k with no fees.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Remember when Dish said they where better than everyone else by NOT charging a DVR fee?

Then Dish not only charged a DVR fee, but a DVR fee per receiver! Not per account like other providers.
I remember that one because I had three 722 units in my home and they started to charge a dvr fee per dvr. I escaped it by having AEP because it limited you to just one dvr fee, then they changed it again said no more discounts . The real kicker was when they decided to charge $17.00 for additional VIP DVR receivers. I had to sell two of my 722s and go with 211ks and external hard drives to escape the dvr fee again. Now I have one hopper fee and one 4k joey fee and the rest of my tvs are amazon fire sticks to watch DISH Anywhere on tvs that I rarely use. You have to stay on top of the changes to save money and this website has helped me do that for over 15 years now.

Thanks to SatGuys website and Scott for running this site.:bigok

Verizon, which already has towers, etc., has committed $20 billion for 5g. They plan to introduce 5g in 5 markets later in 2018. $1 Billion may sound like a lot, but starting from scratch, sounds like a pipe dream. That 70% of the nation is thrown around by companies that have nationwide coverage quite often. The only way I see a billion dollars coming close to meeting the stated goal is for Dish to partner with another provider who has equipment in place, offering any licenses they have for bandwidth along with the money to share towers etc.
It's 70% of the area (population) in which he has bandwidth that he won in the auction, not 70% of the US land area nor 70% of the US population. A very big difference between the two. This is MORE than doable for Dish.

Ergen hinted at this earlier, but now seems confirmed: Dish is staking out the Video, but mostly the IOT, and 5G's low latency (or virtually no latency) is a lot about IOT and especially driver-less vehicles. Considering the real NEED for companies making big bets on driver-less tech for big-rigs and anything else that uses the road, it is a wise place for Dish to steak its claim. Dish is not interested in being a wireless carrier, at least not after the FCC's attitude and actions back in Obama administration. The wireless companies are really wasting resources planning on using the 5G for traditional cell/smart phone service, but when one carrier goes that way, the others follow so that they can be competitive. No doubt, the wireless companies will still have some 5G left for IOT, but it sure seems Dish is going primarily IOT, and that could make more attractive to those companies who need 5G such as car manufactures, driver-less vehicle service providers, and even rural folks getting higher speed ISP, etc. 5G has LESS to do with the cell/smart phone model and MUCH, MUCH more about video, and IOT needing almost no latency.

Reactions: ewindowman
#1 As far as blockbuster was concerned. The whole point of buying them was to provide a DVD by mail service similar to what Netflix was doing and to open Dish Network stores similar to what you see with Comcast and the cable providers.

The issue was that DVD by mail was a dying service, and the streaming service offered by blockbuster at the time was a joke at best.

#2 As far as Dish networks wireless licenses, this is something they should have launched in 2012, NOT 2019. A billion dollars is really nothing when it comes to building out a 5G Network.

Granted Data is great, but cell service is a natural complement to any data service. If they don’t do cellular, they are idiots.

I think Dish doing anything with wireless is a farce. I thinking they are waiting for Sprint, Verizon or T-Mobile to start getting worried in hopes they will partner with someone.

The only issue with Dish is their track record stinks. Let me see, Rupert Murdoch, Microsoft, AT&T and many other partnerships Dish has entered into where short lived and ended in disaster. They can’t even get along with the programmers.

The writing on is on the wall for Dish.

The wireless buildout should have started 8 years ago.

Even if Dish got their wireless built out, they are only going to be able to effectively sell in areas that are under served. ATT has been going on a rampage installing fiber to all their territories. Once fiber comes to town, it’s game over for Dish.
#1: I am unaware of Dish ever having intentions of a DVD via mail service when they bought Blockbuster. Dish bought the Blocbuster BRAND for Dish's notion of a streaming and download service, but it never got past using the BlockBuster brand for Dish customers. Dish branded their Dish On Demand service as the Blockbuster brand, then years later dropped the Blockbuster brand altogether. Blockbuster was bought for chump change, so no real loss. Also, the idea of using the Blockbuster retail sites as Dish showrooms was an idea AFTER the acquisition of Blockbuster, and only because Dish inherited leases for those stores in shopping centers or store fronts. Dish was trying to figure out if it may be worth renewing some of those leases and using brick and motor stores for some purpose. In the end, Dish just dumped all the retail sites.

#2 There was no 5G years ago and the MVPD business was still growing 8 years ago, so MVPD's didn't have a reason to get into a business they knew nothing about on something utterly speculative. Further, the FCC was not encouraging new entrants to the wireless business and the spectrum for new players just was NOT available. It was only AFTER new spectrum became available (most recently) that we can only begin to hope of new players, but the spectrum was all gobbled up by the incumbent wireless companies who would outbid everybody else, and Dish had LESS money for such adventures 8 years ago.

I agree that Dish often seems like a one-trick pony kind of company. In fact, Ergen himself said so on a quarterly conference call. It seems when they buy a company they just can't quite blend it into their own and make it work: Blockbuster brand dies, SlingMedia now shrunk, etc.

And let's see. Who are the people or companies who abandoned their plans to challenge DirecTV with their own DBS service: MCI (Dish bought their slot and transponders and MCI's under construction satellite) , among others, but most noticeably Rupert Murdoch. While at first very bullish and eager to get in the satellite game, Rupy got cold feet and succumbed to the same fear everyone else had: that they got into the sat game too late and they had no chance of competing with DirecTV. Who was left? O'l Charlie himself with a growing and successful business when everybody else had fled the scene, and Murdoch later admitting he had make a mistake in pulling out of the DBS game. And Charlie sued Mr. Murdoch for breach of contract because Rupy was no longer interesting in merging his media empire with then Echostar. Ergen won the suit and got boatload of case and the then beginnings of the Gilbert, AZ up-link facility that took Dish some years to complete and open for operation.

Yes, Charles has flaws, but he did not build Echostar and Dish by accident, but by his business acumen: convinced Dish can compete with DirecTV; that Dish could successfully poach customers away from cable to Dish; believing that offering Local into Locals was the path to growth; by betting big in the then new technology of DVR to attract and keep more subscribers to Dish; and more . . . Every other MVPD was playing catch up.

Also, who was FIRST with an OTT MVPD? It was ol' Charlie with Dish creating SlingTV, and Ergen had been working on this long before anyone else, trying to persuade content providers that and OTT MVPD was good thing to make them more money, not a bad thing that would reduce the value of the content. Ergen can often see the future when other CEO/Chairmen can't.

Bottom line, while some of your negative criticisms of Charlie Ergen are sound, its as if wen someone with an axe to grind or holding some sort of on-line vendetta keeps such a mind from accepting that or seeing that Ergen did and does know what he is doing in the big scheme of things or recognizes that while Ergen has made mistakes, he also did things that translated into a success for Dish, and it's an inconvenient truth that doesn't fit the preferred narrative by some of Ergen having only made bad decisions and because of him Dish already closed for business some time ago. And there was never any "disaster" with his relationships with other companies, and Brian Roberts has far more poisoned relationships with the media companies who provide the content then Ergen every had. It seems Ergen and Disney's Bob Iger have a good relationship, and even ol' Tom Rogers and Ergen still have a good relationship. I can also recall the INFAMOUS Time Warner Cable vs ABC stand-off that was far worse than any of the Dish disputes with content providers. The TWC vs ABC tiff got so nasty, the Govt. had to urge restraint and many cancelled their TWC service. But after a week or so, both companies kissed and made up, and its the same story for ALL the MVPD's. Ergen is not unique in his spats with content providers because ALL the MVPD's have done the same.

Ergen is probably difficult to work for and can probably be a real pain, and is probably no "angel," but that is true of almost all of these media business CEO's/Chairman. Charlie is not unique in that regard. There must be a lot hate to train one's mind to not see what does not fit one's narrative of who a person is.

Dish paid $320 million for Blockbuster, which is quite a lot of cash for something that was ultimately worth less than zero. Why is that "chump change"?

Claude's portrayal of Charlie's vision for Blockbuster is accurate. Ergen dreamt of competing with Netflix and it all came to naught very quickly.

Sling TV is flawed because a $20 per month streaming service won't ever be profitable. Look who they are competing against. At&T DirecTV, Google, Hulu (which is owned by Disney, Comcast, Fox, TimeWarner), Sony, even Comcast. Apple is waiting in the wings to enter along with Amazon, if they think there is any profit.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeD-C05
Dish never had plans of streaming. The streaming portion of Blockbuster was not part of the sale. A third party company owned it, and the Blockbuster kiosks.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)