Dish Withdraws FCC Request to Move E6 to 77w

Draw your own conclusions. My guess is that they will refile to move E6 to 61.5w.

FCC INTERNATIONAL BUREAU

More likely they are about to move it to 72.7. This is probably why 72. just "appeared" in the point dish screen. 77 was going to be a "test" location because Dish would have to prove that it did not interfere with existing 72.5 and 82 locations. They would have to prove this since 72.5 and 82 are protected from interference since they belong to Canada.

Dish just signed a lease agreement for a new satellite at 72.7 (NIMIQ-5) for 16 TPs. DIRECTV has a satellite already there for use up till 9/30/08. NIMIQ-5 will not be launched until sometime late next year. I believe Dish is going to move E6 to 72.7 (somewhere between 72.5 - 72.7 depending on satellite spacing) to immediately start using the 16 TPs they have leased.

It is far better to use the 16 TPs that they know they can use than to try to move a satellite to 77 and hope that testing works out and then use. It could take 6months to a year to test then have input from everyone involved in Canada and Mexico voice their objections and concerns. Then get approval to actually use the slot.

Methinks that since DISH has a lease now for 72.5 and 61.5 that they probably feel they don't need a bird at 77 on an all MPEG4 system. Also, they can quite possibly start operating from that slot as soon as October of this year, making Eastern Arc a real possibility this year.

77 is a Mexican slot licensed for 12.2-12.7 and 17.3-17.8 GHZ. Quetzsat has the license (SES owns a piece of Quetzsat). I think Dish was going to use E6 to move into the Mexican market with their spanish language programming (Sky controls the Mexican satellite market today). I'd guess that the recent AMC 14 incident made for a change in plans.

I noticed they chose their words a little more carefully this time.

"We are in the process of finalizing plans to redeploy this satellite to provide EXPANDED service to U.S. consumers"

Remember the last time they used the letters "hd"

Maybe to calm the masses.:rolleyes:

It would be better served at 72.x

But, they could move E6 to 61.5 and E3 to 72.x, but that would be a lot more work.

If they moved it to 61.5 they would gain 4 TPs, but the footprint would be really bad. E6 was designed for 110/119.

If they were to put E6 at 72.x and just use the odd TPs (since DIRECTV is using even) they would get 16 TPs right away since there would be minimal issues since Canada owns the slot and TELESAT already leased 16 TPs to Dish from there.

Of course if they moved E6 to 61.5 they would gain 4TPs and then move E3 to 72 to gain 16 more they would end up with 20TPs net, but would take months for 2 moves and transfer of TPs.

This is not to mention the HORRID footprint that these moves will make. These are not phased array birds. They generally dont behave well when placed 20 degrees outside of their originally designed slot. E6 @ 61.5 would not be that great for east coast, the carribean etc ;0 Dishnetwork is not what it once was.... ;0

It would be better served at 72.x

But, they could move E6 to 61.5 and E3 to 72.x, but that would be a lot more work.

If they moved it to 61.5 they would gain 4 TPs, but the footprint would be really bad. E6 was designed for 110/119.

If they were to put E6 at 72.x and just use the odd TPs (since DIRECTV is using even) they would get 16 TPs right away since there would be minimal issues since Canada owns the slot and TELESAT already leased 16 TPs to Dish from there.

Of course if they moved E6 to 61.5 they would gain 4TPs and then move E3 to 72 to gain 16 more they would end up with 20TPs net, but would take months for 2 moves and transfer of TPs.

It would make more sense to move E-6 to 148 W and then move E-1 to 72.7 W and E-2 to 61.5 W. Then only the 4 even TPs that E-3 can not provide would have less than ideal footprint. Of course we are not sure if Dish would have access right away to the odd TPs at 72.7 W and if so, why couldn't they use the DirecTV-!R satellite that is currently at 72.7 W and owned by TeleSat for the odd TPs.

Echostar 1 and 2 only have 16 transponders on them. Echo 1 is a odd transponder and Echo 2 is a even transponder satellite.

I doubt they will move E1 and E2... those birds seem to have very little issues and are probably very low on fuel at this time. No need to "stir the pot"

Echostar 1 and 2 only have 16 transponders on them. Echo 1 is a odd transponder and Echo 2 is a even transponder satellite.

That is exactly why I suggested these moves. The TPs that E-3 and E-12 can not provide at 61.5 W are all even TPs i.e., 4, 6, 26 and 28 I believe. The 16 TPs that Dish would have access to at 72.7 W in the near term are the odd TPs. E-1 would only be needed until the new satellite at 72.7 W is launched scheduled for the second half of 2009. E-2 is a little bit younger than E-1 by about 9 months so it may have a little bit more life in it and it doesn't take that much propellant to move a satellite already in Geostationary Orbit (GSO) to another GSO.

E1 and E2 are not going anywhere except eventually into a deorbit. They are near the end of their lifespan and the fuel it would take to move them all the way over to 61.5 would basically kill them off. Dish is going to have to get something over to 148 sooner rather than later, or just give up the orbital location all together...

Now that DISH is basically going to be the broadcaster at 72.5 who'll have to contend with interference from a satellite only 4.5 degrees away at 77, suddenly the idea of close spacing doesn't seem so appealing. I guess its fine when you interfere with someone else, but when you interfere with yourself, it's a whole different story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)