Dish won't activate my receiver, why??

The KEY points in your post are the fact that this does NOT affect 721 receivers that are already "in the field" activated and installed. This only affects DISH not being able to deploy any more into the field. NO WHERE does it say CUSTOMERS are barred from using, deactivating or reactivating receivers that they already own -- if it did, I'm pretty sure the customers would have received some notice from Dish or a court about this. Therefore, it's OPEN to interpretation. Therefore, I WILL go with Dish's interpretation of said order.

This "error" is only in the eye of the beholder at this point.

And the rest of us will also go with the new interpretation now as well. We asked this question to Dish. We got a different answer a few weeks ago. This is the first instance we have seen of a 721 being successfully transferred. Am I suurprised that DISH reversed themselves? Not really. They seem to be pushing the courts a lot recently.

BTW, I would bet you would get a different answer if you tried to activate a used 921 or 942 as Dish wants those MPEG-2 HD units out of their system.

I wonder what kind of straight answer I'll get if I call dish on this one?

Just curious, as I have a used 721 sitting in my basement collecting dust, never tried to sell since I figured it was a paperweight, which it still may be.

What Jayn_j said. At least it's one to our advantage.

avediswolf, please publish what you find out. It may be to your advantage to activate it. What if Dish makes an offer to all current 721 users down the road, to upgrade to HD or a better 522/625 deal, or even to Eastern Arc? You wouldn't have the DVR fee, but wouldn't it add an extra receiver fee or some such? $6/month?

And the rest of us will also go with the new interpretation now as well. We asked this question to Dish. We got a different answer a few weeks ago. This is the first instance we have seen of a 721 being successfully transferred. Am I suurprised that DISH reversed themselves? Not really. They seem to be pushing the courts a lot recently.

BTW, I would bet you would get a different answer if you tried to activate a used 921 or 942 as Dish wants those MPEG-2 HD units out of their system.

Probably. Personally, I think if a new customer tries to activate a 921 or 942, they might offer them a free upgrade or something. I doubt dish would turn away a subscriber based on their receiver (esp. if they didn't have Dish and they were a new customer). Existing customer, probably not. New customer: Anything you want, it's yours. Just my opinion.

Probably. Personally, I think if a new customer tries to activate a 921 or 942, they might offer them a free upgrade or something. I doubt dish would turn away a subscriber based on their receiver (esp. if they didn't have Dish and they were a new customer). Existing customer, probably not. New customer: Anything you want, it's yours. Just my opinion.

Yep. Dish will generally give the new customer the equipment even if they don't have a trade.

They have been offering low cost/free upgrades for 921/942 owners for awhile and the remaining ones got HD shutoff notices a couple of weeks ago.

What Jayn_j said. At least it's one to our advantage.

avediswolf, please publish what you find out. It may be to your advantage to activate it. What if Dish makes an offer to all current 721 users down the road, to upgrade to HD or a better 522/625 deal, or even to Eastern Arc? You wouldn't have the DVR fee, but wouldn't it add an extra receiver fee or some such? $6/month?

I called, gave the R00# ( They never asked for the S00# ) and asked if the receiver was good to be given to another account holder, and if they could activate it. The lady said "Yes"

May try the tech support folks tonight, need a 2nd opinion.

I orginally got the 721 from Claude @ dishstore, ended up doing an RMA with Dish in Sept of 07. Worked fine, then took it out of service in Dec of 07 because I got a new HDTV, and a 722. So I dunno. May try to sell local, so won't have to deal with shipping in case it can't be activated.

Other than taking 20 minutes to "Boot up" it was a great receiver when it behaved. :)

I called, gave the R00# ( They never asked for the S00# ) and asked if the receiver was good to be given to another account holder, and if they could activate it. The lady said "Yes"

May try the tech support folks tonight, need a 2nd opinion.

I orginally got the 721 from Claude @ dishstore, ended up doing an RMA with Dish in Sept of 07. Worked fine, then took it out of service in Dec of 07 because I got a new HDTV, and a 722. So I dunno. May try to sell local, so won't have to deal with shipping in case it can't be activated.

Other than taking 20 minutes to "Boot up" it was a great receiver when it behaved. :)

you should be fine.

why let it collect dust? Good receiver deserves a good home. :)

Well, I don't care if it's a HD or not, that's not why I bought it for. I wanted to get rid of my 10 year old receiver. Why is DISH not being straight about WHY they cannot activate it? They need to learn how to speak english first, the rep said "pur-chase", "chase" as in the word "chase"!

Maybe you should learn the difference in "new" and "used" first? :)

We need to keep in mind that 721s returned to Dish are replaced with 522s. Or possibly a 625, if you're lucky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)