Dish wouldn't activate 622

cmaier

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
I tried 3 times. Refused to activate w/o installer (i didn't want to lie and say i was the installer).

Had the thing all plugged-in, new s/w downloaded, and everything ready to go, replacing the 942 i've had for 3 days as a replacement for my 921 that died briefly.

Anyway, at least the last person i spoke to really tried to do it. System wouldn't even let her move the install date closer.

So now dish gets to pay someone to come to my house and make a phone call. It's amazing they aren't out of business yet.

Since they're coming anyway, now I will make them replace my dish 500 with a dish 1000 and repoint my second dish back from 129 to 148 (for CBS-HD W). Of course that will mean a new switch. I'll see what else I can get him to do on Dish's dime. (I'm still pissed that since I initially was on a dish home plan, i cannot deactivate the 4900 receiver that has been sitting in my attic for 5 years, unless i cancel my whole account and start over. I am not in a mood to make things easy on dish at this point).

The first woman I spoke to yelled at me because I claimed that since i have 2 dishes and can see 110,119, and 129 i do not need a dish 1000. she said i was an idiot, to the person sitting next to her, i guess, when she thought i was on hold. I just love this company.

The first woman I spoke to yelled at me because I claimed that since i have 2 dishes and can see 110,119, and 129 i do not need a dish 1000. she said i was an idiot, to the person sitting next to her, i guess, when she thought i was on hold. I just love this company.
But, but, but - they've won the JD Powers award!

Tells you what those are worth, eh? :(

It's an absolute guarantee that you will get better info here than from any E* CSR. The problem is, we can't do anything with your account. :cool:

cmaier said:
I tried 3 times. Refused to activate w/o installer (i didn't want to lie and say i was the installer).

Had the thing all plugged-in, new s/w downloaded, and everything ready to go, replacing the 942 i've had for 3 days as a replacement for my 921 that died briefly.

Anyway, at least the last person i spoke to really tried to do it. System wouldn't even let her move the install date closer.

So now dish gets to pay someone to come to my house and make a phone call. It's amazing they aren't out of business yet.

Since they're coming anyway, now I will make them replace my dish 500 with a dish 1000 and repoint my second dish back from 129 to 148 (for CBS-HD W). Of course that will mean a new switch. I'll see what else I can get him to do on Dish's dime. (I'm still pissed that since I initially was on a dish home plan, i cannot deactivate the 4900 receiver that has been sitting in my attic for 5 years, unless i cancel my whole account and start over. I am not in a mood to make things easy on dish at this point).

You should be able to deactivate the 4900 and replace it with whatever you want and remove the $5 lease charge from the account

Worse case scenario, do a dish n it up and make them upgrade it to something usefull!

Tried that. Their computers simply will not let me do it without cancelling the entire account (or so 5 CSR's have claimed).

To make matters worse, they say that if i cancel the account and reactivate it, besides having to pay for cancelling (since i'm on one 18 month commitment or another. who can keep track?), i have to send back the LNB from the first dish.

They disagree on whether i need to send the old 2900/4900's back. sometimes yes, sometimes no. they can have 'em for all i care. but the lnb? how silly.

The only thing that's keeping me sane when I think about these guys is that at least my piece of crap 921 was just replaced by a 942, so my dish experience is automatically improved 500%.

Claude Greiner said:
You should be able to deactivate the 4900 and replace it with whatever you want and remove the $5 lease charge from the account

Worse case scenario, do a dish n it up and make them upgrade it to something usefull!

garys said:
Not a widely known fact, installers call a different department than comsumers do.

ehh....you sure - my installer calls the same number and has the same ridiculous wait times....But it is SBC/DISH - so that might have something to do with it.....Regardless, I thought it was insane they had to call the same number....Certainly wasnt that way with D*...

i don't understand why you could not activate your receiver. It should not matter what the install date is. If I modify the work order, sometimes it changes the install date and I must call my office to pull it back in for that day because it will not activate under my tech number. If I don't and activate it without getting the install date changed. It still activates.

thanks, i'll give it a try. though at this point the installer is scheduled for tomorrow morning, so the point is nearly moot.

When I received my 622 from Dishstore, I called to switch out my 811. I needed a dish pointed at 61.5 (CSR said I needed a Dish 1000) so they scheduled an install. Turn to TNT-HD, get message saying I need to order this channel. I called to tell them I lost the channel, the 3 CSRS said I didn't have a HD receiver. I said what did I spend $659 on then?. Finally gave up and waited for installer, who couldn't install 61.5 dish without cutting down a 200 year old silver elm. Surprisingly, when I checked with the wife, she didn't want me to take down the tree.

rlarryvt said:
When I received my 622 from Dishstore, I called to switch out my 811. I needed a dish pointed at 61.5 (CSR said I needed a Dish 1000) so they scheduled an install. Turn to TNT-HD, get message saying I need to order this channel. I called to tell them I lost the channel, the 3 CSRS said I didn't have a HD receiver. I said what did I spend $659 on then?. Finally gave up and waited for installer, who couldn't install 61.5 dish without cutting down a 200 year old silver elm. Surprisingly, when I checked with the wife, she didn't want me to take down the tree.

A Dish at 61.5 or 129 should work fine!

I hooked up my 622 myself. Dish activated it last night but I had to forfeit my free installation scheduled for next week. When my brother's 622 was installed today they put in a bigger dish and took out the two old ones.
My 622 works fine so I don't think I need the install.

mine finally got "installed." boy, did the installer laugh... "you mean i just need to make the phonecall?"

here's the deal: I work at dish. in order to get all the hd programming possible, you need the dish 1000. if you had an 811, 942, or 921, you don't have the right sat. You can activate early, but you won't get anything any differently. And you have to pay 59.95. And as per the installer issue, they DO use a different number, mainly because i tell them to call it all the time. I win.

one funny thing though, I love how I have NEVER heard of the 222 before, and i get on here, and i learn about it. (222=322 in hd)

funkenstein - you are wrong. lots of people have dish 1000 with 921's, 942's etc. In my case I have a dish 500 and a second dish pointed at 129, with a sw64 driving a 721 and a 622. Prior to my "install" it was a 721 and a 921.

The installer had to do NOTHING except call the number. Because for some reason, CSR's think that a dish 1000 is different than 2 dish 500's pointing at the same three satellites. I get all the HD channels, and everything works fine, and i can assure you i have no dish 1000 on my roof.

funkenstein said:
here's the deal: I work at dish. in order to get all the hd programming possible, you need the dish 1000. if you had an 811, 942, or 921, you don't have the right sat. You can activate early, but you won't get anything any differently. And you have to pay 59.95. And as per the installer issue, they DO use a different number, mainly because i tell them to call it all the time. I win.

one funny thing though, I love how I have NEVER heard of the 222 before, and i get on here, and i learn about it. (222=322 in hd)

61.5 mirrors the 129 hd, you should know this as a dish installer, and dont knock this site, Scott and a few others that are here tend to get most all of the info and the correct rumors before you and I find out about any of it for atleast 2 weeks if at all ever.

I wasn't knocking the site at all, I was just pointing out that I'd never even heard of it before, it's no where to be listed at dish network, yet. Basically, you'll probably know before me as to what new technology is coming.

Person with the sw64...your installer sucked (i'm not an installer, i'm a atr (advanced tech rep)) he should have upgraded your system to a dpp system, legacy just sucks.

funkenstein:

"legacy just sucks"

why? It's already installed (and has been for years, long before dpp existed). It works beautifully. I never get any drop outs and always have signal strengths around 100 (except for 129 which is closer to 80) And that's with over a 150' of rg59! I'm using the original cable wiring in the house. If he replaced things he'd have to run new wires, which, undoubtedly, would be run down the side of my house. (I seriously doubt dpp would work over the existing 150' of rg59 from the dish to the boxes).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've had installers offer to rerun all the wires and change out the switches, but since everything works and I don't need any additional boxes, what would be the point?

One time my switch broke, and the installer who came out told me that because it was legacy stuff with such long wires it must not ever have worked. I convinced him to just replace the switch, and he did. He was completely amazed that it worked perfectly. Do they put something in the Dish kool-aid to convince all you guys that whatever we already have installed isn't good enough?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts