DISH1000 Not Required?

general487

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Winfield, AL
Just called a CSR to upgrade my 811 to the 211. She put me on hold for 5 minutes then came back and said she could do it. When I asked about whether the new dish (the 1000) would come with the 211, she said that I didn't need it. She said my Dish500 (only dish on my roof) would get everything. Is that possible? My current dish is pointed at 110 and 119 (I think?).

She also said that there weren't any HD LiL now available. She had no idea about the HD local antenna installation for $49 that I saw on the "Some DishHD Info" thread that Scott posted.

I was not confident that she had any idea what was going on. I hung up and told her that I would call back. Is it possible to get the new HD with just a Dish500?

No, it isn't. You need either a Dish 1000 or a Dish 500 and another Dish pointed at 61.5.

Just upgraded via phone also, tech told me Dish 500 would get everything except for VOOM and I did not need to install another Dish unless I wanted that or the dual tuner DVR.

I called this morning for my upgrade, and I was told that I have a "superdish", and I would not need an a different dish. I sure hope the CSR was correct on that. Maybe I should call back and inquire?

Unless this changed over the last day ESPN2HD and Universal HD are only on 61.5 and 129. Additionally, the Local HD channels are going to be on 1 of those two locations. If you don't care about any of that, then why upgrade to a VIP receiver, the MPEG 2 ones will get everything else.

general487 said:
Just called a CSR to upgrade my 811 to the 211. She put me on hold for 5 minutes then came back and said she could do it. When I asked about whether the new dish (the 1000) would come with the 211, she said that I didn't need it. She said my Dish500 (only dish on my roof) would get everything. Is that possible? My current dish is pointed at 110 and 119 (I think?).

She also said that there weren't any HD LiL now available. She had no idea about the HD local antenna installation for $49 that I saw on the "Some DishHD Info" thread that Scott posted.

I was not confident that she had any idea what was going on. I hung up and told her that I would call back. Is it possible to get the new HD with just a Dish500?

No it is not, all the Voom channels along with UniversalHD and ESPN2HD are on either 61.5 or 129. You will need a Dish 1000 or another dish pointed at 129 or 61.5 to get all the HD channels possible.

I ordered the local channels and gold package + HBO, the tech stated my 500 would be fine.

Hmm....

Also the Voom channels are only on 61.5 and 129. You will only get a few HD channels if you have a Super Dish or Dish500.

TNT, ESPN, HD NET, HD MOVIES, Discovery HD, HBO and Showtime if you subscribe to them.

comments on CSR's for DishNetwork

I have been reading on here different threads of people needing HD upgrades and being told a Super Dish and Dish 500 would be okay. Starting today 2-1-06, any new or existing customer that wants MPEG 4 programming (Dish 1000); your locals in HD when they come out, any additional channels from regular HD pack (normally 9.99), and Voom ( normally 4.99) will need a 211, 411 (single tuners HD) or a 622, DVR/HD combo. Any channels that are currently on there before Feb. 1st; will be done on Dish 500, and 61.5 must carry or SuperDish with Wing Dish. Today they added 5 more Voom channels, and 2 more regular HD channels; ESPN 2, and Universal HD (is it suppose to show some Winter Olympics stuff).
They are also packaging the HD channels via Bronze, Silver ... etc packages, so the price of all the MPEG 4 channels will be 20.00 more on new packages. I haven't been given a clear statement if this will effect any old customers with MPEG 2/3 product or programming, most people speculate no, until you upgrade equipment for MPEG 4. So, if the customer service reps of Dish are telling you any different call back and ask for supervisor, or you might find once you've upgraded, you don't have everything you are paying for!! The new Dish IT UP rules for upgrading include the Dish 1000 upgrade with any HD receiver upgrade 211, 411, or 622 and yes, its an 18 month contract extension, but you should pay more than 50-90 dollars for all of that work and equipment!

Im on hold now...going over this...yes you will miss out some channels w/o the dish1000 he says and hes unsure why the earlier tech did not mention this.

Im in Los Angeles FWIW. Will report back when I get off the phone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)