dish2000.2 w/vip222 going mobile ?

poppies2000

Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
3 days ago I had a dish 2000.4 w/ vip222 installed and it works great. I would like to travel with this reciever and use a tripod and 2000.2. How do I set it up? I formerly used direct tv with sgl lnb with no problems. This unit said no signal, and I was pointing toward 119. Granted I am an amateur, is my hookup bad. The reciever has a two separator setup on it from the 2000.4 install.

Dish network installed me on the eastern arc. However, I gather that is hard to setup. So I bought a 1000.2 dish antenna to replace the 1000.4 antenna when I go camping with this system. I understand that I will have to point to a different array of birds to do this. But I seem to be having trouble picking up a signal. I have mounted the 1000.2 on a tripod, verified it as plumb. and pointed at 119 bird. Check disc indicates error, and says I'm connected but no signal. Also in what order should I point. Az, el Skew then check disc or check disc with no antenna to clear the eastern arc, and in what order.
In other words, I could use a list of step one to---. I "think" I understand and can perform the steps, but do not know the proper order to do them.

Receiver is evidently seeing the lnb, but the lnb is not seeing a satellite.

Are you setting it up with a signal meter or are you using the receiver itself to peak the dish?

You need a couple of aluminum soda cans with the top cut off (or a good supply of aluminim foil) to cover the 110 and 129 lnb's on the 1000.2 so you can more easily find lock in on 119 with the center lnb.

Set the skew of the 1000.2 as per the table in the directions for the zip code where you set up the dish, cover the two outer lnbs, set the pole to absolutely vertical and be sure it is stable and solid there (if it moves you have spoiled the setup - REBOOT).

Place the dish/lnb unit on the pole (if not already there) and approximate the azimuth and elevation from the same table you go the skew. After a little tweaking you should find signal on the 119 lnb. Sweep the dish horizonally to find the strongest signal, then vertically to again find the strongest signal on 119. The receiver should now be able to lock the 119 satellite.

Last of all we tweak the azimuth, elevation and maybe skew, but it is usually OK, as in the previous step, to balance the signal strengths of 110, 119 and 129 (you may remove the aluminum cans). Sometimes you must sacrifice a good strong signal on 119 in order to bring 129 and /or 110 up to acceptable levels.

After all satellites are balanced you may run checkswitch to have the receiver save the satellite info in it's database (that's all check switch really is).

Thank you. If I got it right, the skew and elevation should be set before attempting the horizontal (azimuth ) sweep. I am attempting to use the receiver as the pointing feedback. Thanks for your help Jim, it all sounds simple now!

Correct, always set your skew first (published numbers are pretty much right on), then set elevation, but note that in many areas this can be off a bit. Where I set up my tailgate setups (in the southeast) I usually need to increase the elevation a couple degrees. Then finally set the azimuth, moving very very slowly (since you are using the receiver there is a bit of a lag before the changes from moving register on the screen).

The elevation scale on the Dish 500's is approx. 2 degrees off. For example, if you are told to use elevation 38 degrees, set the dish at a hair shy of 40 degrees. More than just the dish 500 are this way...

Thanks guys, I found the azimuth and elevation #s both to be a little under where the best signal was found. When all was said and done 119 was giving a signal strength of 62. 110 and 129 locked on just fine. Thanks again you guys are "the bomb"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts