Dish500 / Receiver 301 Upgrade

cdubbs

Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
I would like to do an upgrade from my Dish500 and Receiver 301 to the Dish 1000.2 and Receiver 211. Is it that hard to do this upgrade on my own without oinvolving a retailer. I was just looking at buying the two items on the internet. Thank You in advance

Its not too hard. You can just put the 1000.2 on the 500 mast. Make sure you have line of sight about 10 degrees to the right of where your 500 is aimed. It'll take a bit of patience to aim the 1000.2. Common errors include aiming the 129 lnb at 119. Also, keep in mind 129 is not very powerful anywhere in the US and is just plain dreadful from the east (and not recommended - 61.5 is better).

If I understand things correctly, I will no longer need the 500 then?? Just making sure. Also are there any additional cables that need to be ran to the 1000.2 or is it still the one dual cable that I have on the 500? Hopefully there are plenty of places on-line to get instructions for aiming:) Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Also any recommendations on the internet where to buy the Dish 211's and Dish 1000.2?
Thank You

I have and they say I have to call the original retailer for upgrades....trying to avoid that hassle. they have a retail store in my area

If I understand things correctly, I will no longer need the 500 then?? Just making sure. Also are there any additional cables that need to be ran to the 1000.2 or is it still the one dual cable that I have on the 500? Hopefully there are plenty of places on-line to get instructions for aiming:) Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Yes, you can ditch the 500. You will only need one run to the 211.

The only difference in aiming a 1000.2 over a 500 is the skew.... I can't tell you what your skew should be set at where you live, but to give you an example... I live in Northern California... 500's here (looking at 110 and 119) are set at 82 degrees skew.... 1000.2 (110, 119, 129) are set to 90 degrees skew. If you can get a lock on the 119, you can tighten the bolts and then play around with the skew until you receive both the 110 and 129 (tip: the 119 should be in the first column on the check switch screen if you are peaked on the 119, as you should be)

Other than that, everthing is the same... it is still Dish Pro Plus, so 1 line going from Dish to Receiver.

Point correctly
Check Switch
Download Software
Check Switch (sometimes not necessary but I've found most 211s lose their Check Switch Matrix info after the initial software download.
Activate

Is it difficult to aim / adjust the satellite for a non-professional? I get a little worried when I hear all the tech. terms, but have worked with it a little. Thanks once again.

I have and RV and travel all the time. I set up a Dish on a tripod and have no trouble finding the sats. Put in your zip code in menu 6,1,1 and the direction, elevation and skew are listed for your zip code. Any cheap compass will locate the sat direction, the elevation is marked on the dish. Set the skew(also marked on dish. set the elevation, and sweep the dish back and forth 10- 15 degrees until you locate the sat. But as already mentioned, be sure you have correct sat that your are looking for. 110 or 119. Then fine tune the elevation and maybe the skew a very little bit for best reception on all sats. Your pole must be vertical. set with as small level,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)