dish500

michael havens

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
I posted this previously in the wrong area so now I am posting it here.
Well, I thought that after I pinned the 118 on port 1F I was also supposed to have the 110, 119, and 129 also locked but discovered that to be wrong... sorta. On the first port I have locked satellites 118, 119, and 129 while on the second port satellite 110 is locked. I then crawled under the house to see where the cable combined so that one cable ran into the receiver but discovered that wasn't the way it worked. 118, 119, and 129 run to one tv while the 110 isn't connected to anything. So, I suppose this means that the 118, 119, & 129 are the satellites used in Dish500. But why do you have 110 pinned at all seeing as it is not used except for on port 2? Then there is the question of what are port 3 and 4 for. I was thinking that each horn carried it's own satellite but that can't be right seeing how there are 4 ports but only 3 horns. ANother thing.... what if they want multiple receivers hooked up? Do all of the satellites have the same programming? I thought 118 had different programming than the 110 or 119 or 129 or whatever ports 3 and 4 have on them. What are on ports 3 and four? I am so confused seeking knowledge!

As I was seeking advice on how I should proceed I was told to lock the 118 because that is the more difficult satellite to site. Then the gentleman stressed that I needed to remember that the 118 is on port 1F. As I was researching this query another 'designation' became apparent; that of 2D. What is the meaning of this? Is it like each horn has its own designation? Why are letters appended to the port numbers? Why is the 118 more difficult to site.

A while ago, as I was talking with another tech, he mentioned something about tieing two horns together. Would this be done to pick up multiple satellites and so tieing the two together would space them correctly? And so this means that each satellite doesn't have it's own special horn. Any horn can be used for any satellite?

you have a dish 1000+ btw not a dish 500 if you are getting 119, 118, 110, and 129.
You need to take a line from each lnb into a DPP44 Switch.
What switch are you using?

The dish, which is setup and running, is not using a switch (at all). I am assuming that the switch is in the LNB itself. This is what is confusing me: there are 4 ports running out of the LNB; ports 1, 2, 3, and 4. I hook my meter up to ports 1 and 2 and out of port 1, satellites 118, 119, and 129 are locked. The cable that is attached to that port runs under the house to a receiver. The cable that runs out of port 2 just runs under the house and is not connected to anything. WHat really confuses me is the fact that my meter says the 110 is locked in port 2 but not in port 1 and that 118-129 are locked down on port 1 but not in port 2. Why is this? I mean, if it is combining into a multiswitch shouldn't I get everything that is pinned out of every port?

port numbering

As I was getting instructions on how to set a dish500 up I was told that satellite 118 is on port 1F. Now, I know that port 1F is the first port labled 1 but why is an F appended to it instead of simply calling it port 1? As I was researching the answer to this query it became evident that there is another port... that of 2D which I believe to be the second port. If this is so why is it 2D rather than 2F? Further, what are the designation for ports 3 and 4? Is this a standard or is it different between providers?

I *think* the "F" appendage is related to the fact that it's a FSS satellite.

Maybe? Perhaps? Grasping at straws? LOL
I agree makes it easy to remember which one is the FSS satellite, and which one is the DBS satellite. That's how I've always remembered which one is which at least. With as rarely as I do 500+ jobs, I think if I got one with only numbers I would have to run a check switch (or perform and Ident on the SBSM) to figure out which one is which.

if that is the case doesn't fss (linear polarization) require a BUD?
Further.... are you saying that 118,119,&129 have linear polarity while the 110 has circular polarity?

Last edited:
if that is the case doesn't fss (linear polarization) require a BUD?
Further.... are you saying that 118,119,&129 have linear polarity while the 110 has circular polarity?

all of them are circular polarity.
110, 119, 129 are cirular polarity at 11250 frequency
118 is a cirular polarity at 10750

121, its Linear at 10750

Last edited:
The dish, which is setup and running, is not using a switch (at all). I am assuming that the switch is in the LNB itself. This is what is confusing me: there are 4 ports running out of the LNB; ports 1, 2, 3, and 4. I hook my meter up to ports 1 and 2 and out of port 1, satellites 118, 119, and 129 are locked. The cable that is attached to that port runs under the house to a receiver. The cable that runs out of port 2 just runs under the house and is not connected to anything. WHat really confuses me is the fact that my meter says the 110 is locked in port 2 but not in port 1 and that 118-129 are locked down on port 1 but not in port 2. Why is this? I mean, if it is combining into a multiswitch shouldn't I get everything that is pinned out of every port?

The Dish 500+ and Dish 1000+ HAVE TO USE AN EXTERNAL SWITCH. If you have a Dish1000+ you need a DPP44 switch. If you have a Dish500+ you need a DP34 or DPP33 switch.

I am not sure what dish you have. The 500+ and 1000+ both have seperate LNB's for the 110 and the 1000+ has the 129 seperate as well. There would not be 4 ports out of a LNB. I don't know what you have.

The Dish 500+ and Dish 1000+ HAVE TO USE AN EXTERNAL SWITCH. If you have a Dish1000+ you need a DPP44 switch. If you have a Dish500+ you need a DP34 or DPP33 switch.

I am not sure what dish you have. The 500+ and 1000+ both have seperate LNB's for the 110 and the 1000+ has the 129 seperate as well. There would not be 4 ports out of a LNB. I don't know what you have.
I like helping people like this on her. But I really would like them to write down details before they compose their questions.
The OP does not know what type of antenna/lnb combo he has. That makes it impossible to lend a hand

As I was getting instructions on how to set a dish500 up I was told that satellite 118 is on port 1F. Now, I know that port 1F is the first port labled 1 but why is an F appended to it instead of simply calling it port 1? As I was researching the answer to this query it became evident that there is another port... that of 2D which I believe to be the second port. If this is so why is it 2D rather than 2F? Further, what are the designation for ports 3 and 4? Is this a standard or is it different between providers?

The "F: stands for FSS or Fixed Satellite Sevice. It indicates a medium powered horizontal and vertical polarity delivery system....The "D" stands for Digital Satellite Service...This is high powered circular polarity delivery.
The ports are labled correctly.
On an LNB such as this there are only two ports....one for the 118.7 sat and one for the 119 sat....The other two in this configuration are "dual " or "Single" output LNB's.....They are NOT port 3 or 4...These are separate LNB's...
At this point, I would advise you to temper your do it yourself desires and consult a professional technician to help you.
It would help you much if a tech was on site to explain these thiongs to you.
It is very diifficult to help you from afar if you do not accurately describe the equipemnt you have oin site...
Most of us will help. We enjoy giving advise and assistance. Because we cannot see what it is you are refering, we need as accurate details as possible..
Thanking you in advance.

thank you so much for the help. It seems, however, that reality is not matching with theory. 118 and 119 are not on seperate ports but rather both are on port 1 while port 2 has satellite 110.

>> The other two in this configuration are "dual " or "Single"
>> output LNB's.....They are NOT port 3 or 4...These are separate LNB's...

So what is sited in these horns?

My father was told it is a dish500. There is no multiswitch in the configuration. The dish has written on it 'turbo hd'..... hmmm..... my dad's dish on his old house was a dish500. He was just assuming it was the same dish. The dish installation setup screen says that it is a dish500. Oh brother... I am so sorry. I'll go over to my parents other house and see what the setup is like tomorrow.

thank you so much for the help. It seems, however, that reality is not matching with theory. 118 and 119 are not on seperate ports but rather both are on port 1 while port 2 has satellite 110.

>> The other two in this configuration are "dual " or "Single"
>> output LNB's.....They are NOT port 3 or 4...These are separate LNB's...

So what is sited in these horns?

negative, 118 (1F port) and 119(2D port) are on seperate ports, and 110 is on the right bracket (if face toward lnb) and the 129 is on the left bracket.

Since you also asking about NFusion FTA boxes on the other thread, I think you are referring to non-OEM Dishnetwork lnb where the single port is for 118 and 119.

yeap, it is circular. I though it was linear too, since it uses a larger reflector. Since it uses the lower frequency it needs the larger reflector.

118.7 is Circular?......
Yes, not that I particularly care to answer any of michael havens posts as it is becoming more and more obvious he is attempting to steal service, but 118.7 is an oddball of a satellite that actually has a circular polarized FSS payload. Strange huh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)