DishAnywhere Guide does not list our PBS channel

thewamp

Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Rockford, IL
My problem is that I am not able to schedule a DVR recording of an event broadcast on our PBS channel, while logged into Dish Anywhere, from my computer, which is what I want to do when away from home.

Our VIP 722k receiver does not have the OTA module installed. The PBS station is obviously part of the Dish Locals because its number is shown on the TV Guide displayed on our TV, as 060-00. All other Local Channels are displayed in the same manner.

All of our channels are displayed on the Dish Anywhere Guide, except for one channel, Dish Local Channel 60 (PBS). All other local channels are displayed on the Dish Anywhere Guide. Because programs for this channel are not displayed on the Dish Anywhere Guide, I am not able to schedule a DVR recording, for a future event, from my PC.

On the Dish Anywhere Guide, all Local Channel Numbers are displayed as two numerical digits. When I want to hop to one of those, I am only allowed to type in the two significant digits.

I discovered that if, in DishAnywhere Live TV, I hop to channel 60, the information field under the Control Bar states, "Program information is currently unavailable.". Channel 60 content is still displayed on the PC but I do not have a description of the current program's content. If, however, I hopped to channel 39, "Now Watching: Family Guy On: WQRF 39-00 From: Live TV Rating: PG13, TV-PG" was displayed in the information field.

So, if, "Program information is currently unavailable." for channel 60, that is most likely the reason that the guide refuses to list channel 60.

I went to locatetv and set Location Settings to, "Wednesday, November 5 2014. Local listings for: DISH Network (USA) [61108]". Complete program listings for the PBS station received via Dish Network are shown. Question: If locatetv can get the program information for that channel, why can't Dish Network get it.

Sorry to disappoint you but 060 isn't your local PBS it is a national feed DISH provides where your local isn't available.
We do not have a local PBS station. When I look at the Guide on our TV, the channel number is displayed in the same unique manner that is used to display our local channels. I am not at all disappointed that the PBS programming received via Dish is a national feed.

We also receive 7 PBS channels via our Basic cable service from stations in Chicago, IL and Madison, WI, at a very low cost. We have a Recorder with a hard drive and a QUAM tuner. Before our Basic Cable service required a Set Top Box in front of this Recorder's QUAM tuner I was able to use the Recorder to schedule PBS recordings from any of the 7 channels and to pause live TV while I went to the bathroom, etc.. Now, however, whatever channel the cable box output is directed to, 3 in our case, is the only channel I can schedule a recording from because the recorder does not have a mouse to set the channel on the Cable Box to the Channel I want to record for later viewing. And, our Basic Cable service does not allow a DVR option.

You mean spirited person, you. Asking someone to perform due diligence.
The nerve of some people

Since I did not know the definition of ",pre" in that mean spirited person's post, I Googled it. "pretty little liars" was one of the suggestions!

Do you think that "longer" was the intended word? Our vacations are always "longer" than 7 days.

I suggest you read your manual for using the 722 you can set timers for every week, or every day and the receiver will compare it to the programming guide and set a timer for that program. Example NCIS is on Tuesday so if you set a timer for that program it will record it, example last week NCIS and NCIS NOLA switched places NOLA came on before NCIS but the receiver still recorded the show at the correct time. I think you are creating your own problems rather than using the functions of the receiver.

Reactions: thewamp
If you think that the poster calling me mean spirited, you missed the whole point. He was laughing that I pointed out what you can program you PBS channel from your home receiver for 8 days in advance if you use your epg.

A nice work around suggestion, if it isn't in the guide yet, and you know the title, you can do a seek timer(especially good if it is only new episodes, as it will only seek for new episodes on any channel)

I suggest you read your manual for using the 722 you can set timers for every week, or every day and the receiver will compare it to the programming guide and set a timer for that program. Example NCIS is on Tuesday so if you set a timer for that program it will record it, example last week NCIS and NCIS NOLA switched places NOLA came on before NCIS but the receiver still recorded the show at the correct time. I think you are creating your own problems rather than using the functions of the receiver.

I think you are not understanding what the problems are that I am trying to find out about, here on this great forum. The problems are, 1. When I am logged in to DISH Anywhere on my computer, I am not able to see any event information for the PBS station on the Guide. 2. When I select the Live TV tab and hop to the PBS station I am not able to confirm that I am watching the PBS station and am told "Program information is currently unavailable." I am not aware of it ever being available for the PBS channel.

I am fully aware of what I can do with my remote control when in front of the TV connected to the Dish receiver and have many years of experience doing so.

I purchased and installed a Sling Adapter in order to control my receiver remotely via Broadband when away from home. It has worked very well for
me for every channel except the PBS channel. Dish Support agrees with me that it should work with that channel as is does for every other channel.

So, you should be able to understand, as Dish Support understands, that there is a problem that needs to be fixed. And this problem is not created by me as you seem to be implying. Please understand that PBS is my most favorite network.

Reactions: TheKrell
A nice work around suggestion, if it isn't in the guide yet, and you know the title, you can do a seek timer(especially good if it is only new episodes, as it will only seek for new episodes on any channel)

Are you talking about doing a Search when using the Remote in front of the TV? Again, I am only interested in what I can find when logged into DISH Anywhere on my computer.

You did inspire me to could do some searching for a way to do a search from DISH Anywhere. I noticed a tab there with a search icon. If I select PBS Network under the Shows>Network tab, followed by going to the tab with the search icon, where I typed in "Rick Steves' Europe" and initiated the search, a list of his episodes for a season is displayed. And, by clicking on the down arrow at the upper right, I was able to see episodes from other seasons or from all seasons. I am able to watch these episodes on my computer or use the computer's WiDi (wireless display) feature (or an HDMI cable) to send the video to the Hotel's TV.

Thank you very much for inspiring me to find this way to watch my favorite PBS episodes via DISH Anywhere.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)