DishComm troubleshooting

csete

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 26, 2007
I got my 625 -> 722 upgrade today. I also have a 622 in the house. I had hoped to use DishComm to share caller ID information, but for some reason the receivers are not seeing each other in DishComm. Both of them are hooked up to surge protectors, but I'm not sure if that is the issue or not. I'd prefer to keep the surge protectors. Other than trying without surge protectors, are there other things I should look at?

The receivers are both hooked up and have broadband configured, so I don't have to worry about the programming access fee. I don't suppose I can somehow share caller ID via ethernet?

Thanks,
Craig

Need Surge Protectors that are Home Plug certified

DISH comm uses home plug protocol for the communications. A standard surge protector will block home plug signals. Belkin makes a surge protector that has 1 outlet that is home plug compliant. However, the surge protection is not as good. I finally eliminated my surge protectors and DISH comm works fine. Since I have DISH home protection plan, I am willing to risk any equipment failure due to surge.

I've now direct-connected both receivers to the outlets without the surge protectors. Unfortunately, the receivers are still not seeing each other. What else can I do at this point to get this going?

Manually add the other receiver on each unit's DishComm Setup (menu-6-1-8).

Once both units are able to "see" each other, enter Phone System Setup (menu-6-1-4) on the remote unit and choose "Remote" for the Modem Type. After that, test the connection and you should be able to call out.

Hope this helps.

Excellent! That worked great.

What are the chances that if I put the units back on surge protectors that things will continue to work?

Excellent! That worked great.

What are the chances that if I put the units back on surge protectors that things will continue to work?

They probably will not. The surge protector acts like a filter and blocks the HomePlug signal coming to/from the receiver. The receivers have built in surge protection circuitry. They have to have it because the HomePlug circuitry can be blown up by the surge from simply plugging the device straight into the wall outlet without it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)