942 with a weird 015 error problem

rktech

Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Hi all, great forum!

I have this weird problem with the 015 code and I hope you can help.

942 DVR, splitter in the back of the receiver (sat1 / sat2), don't know what kind of switch (do i need to climb the roof for that or can I get info from the receiver?).

Problem: Everything worked fine for about 2 years. Problem noticed about a couple of months ago. When you switch to a different channel, you may or may not get a 015 error, it started at random, but now more and more channels display the 015 error. When you get the error, it would go through the 5 point check, then do it again, then tell you to test the switch. Now, here is the weird part. While the 015 error is displayed, you can't activate the guide, so you'd need to press on the DVR button, then the guide button, then if you give it a few seconds the channel actually starts working in the small preview window inside the guide. You can then cancel out the guide and continue watching the channel.

Called DishNetwork, they sent me a new 942 under warranty. Installed the new one tonight and it's doing the same exact thing, not as bad as the old one though, about the same as the old one a month ago (unless it's my imagination).

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

You need to check and/or replace all separators, splitters, and diplexers that may be in the line. Also, check all exterior connections for corrosion and check and/or replace ground block.

If you have a 942 and it's about 2 years old, then chances are you have a Dish 1000. Dish 1000 will give you the 129 satellite which whill provide a good portion of your HD programming. The typical LNB/switch setup on those dishes was a DPP Twin and a DP Dual. The Plus twin tends to have a problem, especially in hot weather, called LNB drift. It tends to come and go, but will eventually cause the LNB to fail completely. Sounds like you need a service call to determine the exact cause of your problem. I don't believe it's a simple cable problem. With cable problems, usually it either works or it doesn't. Sometimes it can be intermittent, but usually not. Intermittent problems are usually a sign of imminent equipment failure. Have it checked out by a professional technician.

If you have a 942 and it's about 2 years old, then chances are you have a Dish 1000. Dish 1000 will give you the 129 satellite which whill provide a good portion of your HD programming. The typical LNB/switch setup on those dishes was a DPP Twin and a DP Dual. The Plus twin tends to have a problem, especially in hot weather, called LNB drift. It tends to come and go, but will eventually cause the LNB to fail completely. Sounds like you need a service call to determine the exact cause of your problem. I don't believe it's a simple cable problem. With cable problems, usually it either works or it doesn't. Sometimes it can be intermittent, but usually not. Intermittent problems are usually a sign of imminent equipment failure. Have it checked out by a professional technician.

I completely agree with mdwatt in what he says concerning DPPTwin models and heat failure.

But, due to the time period, no mention of heat, and no service calls since install, with all due respect, I still suspect connections and corrosion. Cabling isn't usually the problem...cables don't generally fail in the middle. (Short of varmints) Cables commonly fail at the connections. The components (splitters, F-81 barrels, ground blocks, and the connectors themselves) commonly fail or cause problems that can mimic receiver and LNB problems.

It takes less than a year for a loose exterior connection to corrode to unusable-no-needle-left, when unscrewed. Don't underestimate the value of a good quality, properly tightened, connection!

A strand of braid, positioned very near the center wire, can expand with heat to provide a short. I've had many connections fall off in my hand, and corrected many "loss of transponder", "picture quality" and "bouncing" signal type errors through connections and cabling.

In two years, the average installed system has had plenty of time to decay if there is a "weak link" such as compromised wire, corroded ground block or connection, failed (and partially failed) F-81's, and loose connections. Vibrations cause everything to "unsrew". Vibrations reverberate through everyone's home with each and every footstep or a door is closed.

Connection issues like these, when resolved, solved many previously "un-solved" or unresolved service calls. Bad receiver, and/or bad LNB, are not the only parts of the equation to getting good signal. Connection problems can indeed generate the very same clues as receivers and LNB's.

Don't underestimate the value of a good quality, properly tightened, connection!

I completely agree. I was having a similar problem with a 522 a couple of years ago and simply tightening connections at the switch and the receiver corrected the problems!

Thank you all for your help! I had a technician come out. He was very surprised that we still had an older model LNB installed. He said they have been changing them for the past few months left and right. Anyway, after the new LNB was put in the problem it seems went away.

The new problem is the 942 decides to reboot once in a while, usually while we're watching a recorded program. I'll search the forum and see what I can find.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)