Weird On Demand problem

RTCDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
San Jose, CA
I’ve never used the On Demand feature before on my Hopper3. I thought I would give it a quick test by asking for something free.

I chose “See No Evil”, S9 Ep5 for the test. Normally this show is on ID 192. Starting the download went fine, but it did take awhile (about 30 minutes even though I have 500 mbs fiber internet). But when I went to play it, dialog comes up saying “The event has expired”. I even waited for the nightly reboot to be sure; same result.

When I get the Info for this show, it clearly says (as of today) “Available to watch for 28 days and 21 hours”. How can it be “Available to watch” and “Expired” at the same time? And if it was expired, why was I allowed to download it in the first place?

This isn’t a very good start.

I’ve never used the On Demand feature before on my Hopper3. I thought I would give it a quick test by asking for something free.

I chose “See No Evil”, S9 Ep5 for the test. Normally this show is on ID 192. Starting the download went fine, but it did take awhile (about 30 minutes even though I have 500 mbs fiber internet). But when I went to play it, dialog comes up saying “The event has expired”. I even waited for the nightly reboot to be sure; same result.

When I get the Info for this show, it clearly says (as of today) “Available to watch for 28 days and 21 hours”. How can it be “Available to watch” and “Expired” at the same time? And if it was expired, why was I allowed to download it in the first place?

This isn’t a very good start.
https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/members/josh-m.209014/, any comment?

Reactions: charlesrshell
This is pretty unusual. Therefore, members are only reading your thread. I say wait few days and see what happens.

By the way, your link shows
'This member limits who may view their full profile.'
when you click it!!

This is pretty unusual. Therefore, members are only reading your thread. I say wait few days and see what happens.

By the way, your link shows
'This member limits who may view their full profile.'
when you click it!!
Well, it’s be three days now and nothing has changed. I don’t think waiting any longer is going to change things.

Thanks for the feedback on the link.

Just tested in my lab and it worked without issue - how did you come to this episode? Did you search or did you go through the on-demand menus?
I did a search.
When you went to "rent" the episode did you have two options for rent?
Yes. Both said free. I picked the first one.
Have you tried deleting the even from your rentals folder and re-downloading?
Just tried that and it work perfectly. So some kind of glitch happen the first time that did occur the second time.

Thanks. I’ll let you know if I ever run across this issue again.

Long time lurker, 1st time poster. Similar issues as RTCDude, except the problem shows are "The Foods That Built America" and the fixes haven't worked for me yet. 3 or 4 episodes of season 2. Today, a new twist: Streaming Errors 2200 and 2221, "there was an issue streaming this content..." try a power cord reset (I have). Deleted & retried several times both by On Demand search and via the guide where History was showing other seasons.

Long time lurker, 1st time poster. Similar issues as RTCDude, except the problem shows are "The Foods That Built America" and the fixes haven't worked for me yet. 3 or 4 episodes of season 2. Today, a new twist: Streaming Errors 2200 and 2221, "there was an issue streaming this content..." try a power cord reset (I have). Deleted & retried several times both by On Demand search and via the guide where History was showing other seasons.
There was an outage with the source of IPVOD yesterday causing intermittent streaming errors - this should be fixed now...but if it isn't let me know. You may need to delete the event in your rented folder and download it again. Let me know!

There was an outage with the source of IPVOD yesterday causing intermittent streaming errors - this should be fixed now...but if it isn't let me know. You may need to delete the event in your rented folder and download it again. Let me know!
Good to know. As I indicated in my last reply, I did try deleting and re-downloading and that worked just fine.

I’ll let you know if there is any further trouble. Thanks for looking into this.

Thanks Josh M, I appreciate hearing about the VOD outage. That likely explains the streaming errors, but the issue with the shows expiring immediately after downloading started more than a week ago. That said, it seems that just poking my nose into this vast community of info has magically helped. The 6th or 7th try - I lost count - finally got the failed OD episodes to download & play correctly. All good for now!