DishHD launches Taiwan!

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
You got to be kidding me right! Dish cant even give people back home all the HD programming they want such as Full time Sports Channels, or Channels from other providers such as rainbow networks. Heck they bairly provide Alaska, Hawaii, PR with the same HD the mainland gets. (btw my oppinion is what ever the main land gets they get too!) But Taiwan! Come on! I know Charlie you have to keep your equipment costs down, and giving the these people some DishHD makes them happy, but if your gonna divote these kinds of resources to Tiwan, atleast give us what we want such as ESPNU, AMCHD, IFCHD, HDRSN's and other select few choices. :)

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php/201006206903/echostar-launches-

Echostar Corp formally launched its new DishHD platform in Taiwan at the end of last week.
Starting with 36 high-definition channels, the operator hopes to have 50 by year-end. Channels include: ASN, Bloomberg, Boomerang, Unitel Classica, Food Network, Fox HD, FX HD, iConcerts HD, KidsCo, Luxe HD, MGM Channel, NBA TV, Nickelodeon, Star World and Fox/CJ Media’s TVN.
There are also four Discovery channels - Discovery HD World, Home & Health, Science and Turbo; four HBO channels – HBO Family, HBO HD, HBO Hits and HBO Signature; and two National Geographic services: Nat Geo HD and Nat Geo Wild.
Subscribers must pay NT$14,000 to buy a set-top and satellite dish and have them installed, with monthly subscriptions pegged at NT$1,000 for all the channels for the first few months (Premier Package), rising to NT$1,200 in 2011. The basic pack (Standard Package) costs NT$550 a month for just 12 channels.
There is a choice of two set-tops: a twin tuner box with a 500GB hard drive for PVR functionality, and a single tuner, non-PVR model.
Taiwan already has one of the most successful pay-TV markets in Asia, with penetration at just over 7 million, or 93%, according to CASBAA. But there is a noticeable lack of high definition content. Most cable operators offer cheap subscription rates, hence the high penetration but low service offerings. DishHD is pitched at the more affluent end of the market.

Read more:

You know what really pisses me off even more is when Dish added latino HD programming last week.

Latino programming is absolutly no benifit to me, along with 99% of my customers. I would much rather see something added in a basic package that would benifit 99% of my customers instead of 1% of my customers.

Then both Dish, Directv and the cable companies attempt to use fuzzy math to say they have the most HD channels, when they all need to realize Spanish Channels, PPV, On Demand, and shopping channels DON'T COUNT

Its owned by Echostar not Dish N/W

Its time we separate both the companies. EchoStar launches Taiwan HD, not dish. EchoStar owns the "dish" trademark name in many countries outside USA. Dish Mexico and Dish Taiwan are part of those.

Those 1% of the international customers bring in a lot of revenue. I am not sure about Spanish packages, but South Asian HINDI programming package costs around 55$ for approximately 15 channels. They need to subscribe to basic package which costs another 20$.

You know what really pisses me off even more is when Dish added latino HD programming last week.

Latino programming is absolutly no benifit to me, along with 99% of my customers. I would much rather see something added in a basic package that would benifit 99% of my customers instead of 1% of my customers.

Then both Dish, Directv and the cable companies attempt to use fuzzy math to say they have the most HD channels, when they all need to realize Spanish Channels, PPV, On Demand, and shopping channels DON'T COUNT

Internationals and, especially, Spanish language packs like DishLatino kept Dish afloat during the early years and brought them a lot of cash and critical mass that DirectTV, cable and all the others had to play catch-up too and now offer quite an array of their own foreign, and especially Spanish language channels.

Yes, it may be true that such channels in HD, or otherwise, is irrelevant to your customer base. However, it is extremely important business for Dish in the major US metropolitan areas and makes Dish richer because of it. I don't watch those channels either, but it is smart business to provide them because they make Dish quite a bit of money, or they would have dropped them years ago instead of ADDING even MORE channels for Latino over the years, and not even provided the new HD feeds as such bandwidth is tight at Dish now.

Interesting statement of where the money is that Dish did choose to provide a few Spanish language services in HD instead of RSN's in HD. Also, the addition of HD LIL's of Univision and Telefutura affiliates (not a map down of the national feed, but truly the LIL) in some DMA's demonstrates that Charlie knows what the spreadsheet priority is. Such smart business practices keeps Dish in good financial shape for the rest of us and helps pays the bills for some English language programming the rest of us want.

Remember, Dish is a national TV provider and will sometimes have to cater to the big money to me made in ethnically diverse huge metropolitan areas of our country to the chagrin of folks in other parts of the country who have absolutely no use for such channels.

I did read some time ago that the Los Angeles area has among the highest penetration levels for satellite. While the vast majority is for English speaking households, I can tell you that having driven through a fair number of neighborhoods that are Spanish speaking, there are so many dishes, most Dish Network, but some DirectTV, on some many roofs or houses and even 10 or more on a single apartment roof, it is truly astounding, far more than in any English speaking neighborhoods. Charlie must be making a Mint with all those 10-15 dishes on a single apartment building roof along with the many, many houses with them, as well.

In other words: Dish is doing what any good, well-run business does, and that is going were the money is. Smart business decision for Dish. Rather than being angry, we ought to be grateful that those people are partially paying the bill for the rest of us.

I bet retailers in Texas, New Mexico, Nevada, California, Arizona (but to be fair, Arizona customers would have to show their papers to watch the channels) would completely disagree with you about those channels being attractive to only 1% of their customers...

So, they are launching stuff in Taiwan. It's not like it is taking bandwidth on their US sats. Anything they can do to get more profits (aside from my pocket) I'm OK with.

The link does not work for me but as I understand it this is an entirely different service that services Taiwan. How does it affect US customers of DISH?

I would not think that it would effect US customers in any way. Dish/Echostar has Dish Mexico and Dish Taiwan, just like DirecTV has DirecTV Latin America. It is just another revenue stream for the company.

Those channels they added have been drawing some amazing ratings even by folks that don't speak spanish. Their World Cup coverage is being watched by more then ESPN's coverage. To me thats amazing!

Youd be surprised If you knew how much revenue DIsh is doing selling latino programming, and their resellers should jump in unless they are doing business in the middle of nowhere.. If you look closer, those spanish HD programming that were added recently are the firsts networks in spanish ever to be added to Dish. So it does not affects in any way the whole majority of your english speaking customers, but it really will increase $ale$ and retention on a great big minority as the hi$panics are. So It makes wonder what kind of average businessman you are, what kind of average vision you have on the business, or that you are probably using the forum to vent your very own biased opinions on Dish business. most people wouldn't care on neither.

Jebus! Dude, get a grip. The Two Epix channels alone make me feel like a king! Dish offers, what 120, 140 full time HD channels and most sports in HD?
Those channels they added have been drawing some amazing ratings even by folks that don't speak spanish. Their World Cup coverage is being watched by more then ESPN's coverage. To me thats amazing!
Wow. That is a bit amazing, though I bet the hispanic population in the US has a much much much higher percentage watching the games than the non-hispanic.

I dont speak spanish but have watching the World Cup games on the spanish stations...

I just love it when they score a "gooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal" :D

Its time we separate both the companies. EchoStar launches Taiwan HD, not dish. EchoStar owns the "dish" trademark name in many countries outside USA. Dish Mexico and Dish Taiwan are part of those.
Maybe so, last time I looked both companies had the same majority shareholder though so any distinction is purely on paper.

The link does not work for me but as I understand it this is an entirely different service that services Taiwan. How does it affect US customers of DISH?

Links work fine here... Don't know..

It don't Bob just likes to bitch about things. :)

Come on Scott.... Thats bogus.... You and I both know that I don't want to be bitching about this crap, but if Dish is going to half ass things, then someone's got to get dish to fix it.

Just because YOU don't see a problems doesn't mean that there isn't one. You are only one person like I'm only one person. It seems like if you don't say anything dish just sits on it. For some reason, Dish holds your opinions higher than any other customer base or what customers want. For months there have been more customers who want programming such as HD rsn's here saying come on dish Lets get going with these things! Some have urged me to continue the fight, some stay back in the woods to see how things are going to shake out and a small group of others dont want it.

Yes I admittedly have been the most vocal about it, Why? because if I'm not then dish gets a free pass. To me it seems that if you (Scott) doesn't see the issue or say theres an issue then dish does nothing. Dish your RSN situation and your current line up has issues. Why not fix it! Like I said in the past, fix your issues at home first, then move on to other things. The capital wasted could be invested to fix the issues here at home, which could help them be the number 1 paytv provider. Now, if the capital wasted turnes into an profit, then thats a diffrent story, but atlest address the issues and not put it off until "this time next year" to buy your company time. If your not prepared for this now, that show's you obviously didnt plan for it soon enough! Just like how dish is flopping on the 3D bandwagon!

It seems to me like Charlie is content at not being #1, and likes proving a 2nd rate service. If that's the case then stop acting like you want to be the number 1 provider. Someone needs to let dish know what they are doing wrong, and if Scott isn't going to do it, I will. Charlie I love you man personally and professionally, but you have to listen to customers and try to give them what they want... as its the customers who take care of you.

I chose dish because at the time they were the closest to meeting the programming needs I wanted. That day is coming once again to a close. Very soon Directv will be nipping at your heels when it comes to movies and other content. Dude wake up and start transitioning to MPEG4 on western arch and save yourself before the Titanic goes down! Once again (hate to be all doom and gloom) if it doesn't get fixed, no commercial advertising will be able to help you. Yea free HD is a good thing, but Free HD with the programming customers want is even better.

I'm waiting to see what happens with the 61.5 launch..... After that all bets are off.... I know that Scott doesn't see HDRSN's as an issue, but I know that Scott and you all are wrong on this one, as every provider out there knows something that dish must not know, as every provider out there has full time RSN's in HD.

Dish launching services in Taiwan is just another aspect of how they continue to ignore customers demands here at home. I don't think people request channels such as ESPNU, AMCHD, IFCHD, just because they want to wastes Charlie's money. After all how many requests were there for Mavtv or WFN before it launched? None!

Yea I have to admit that even I have been watching Telefutra and Telemundo alot lately for world cup coverage. Just wish they would offer english subtitles! Its amazing seeing the feeds in 1080I vs espn's 720P.

Bob once again your barking up the wrong tree.

Echostar launching DISH HD in Taiwan has ZERO to do with the DISH Network here in the USA. They are just using the name.

No resources such as satellite or uplinks are being used here in the US by DISH Network to offer this service in Taiwan.

The logo looks kind of cool. www.DishHDasia.com

Bob, didn't you get your answer when you asked Charlie directly about it on the last Charlie Chat? He said next year. Now just one week later, you start complaining again. give him the other 51 weeks first.

Latino programming is absolutly no benifit to me, along with 99% of my customers.

:rolleyes: so selfish :rant:

NO esta en burger king, claude, no puede tenerlo siempre por su gusto! :p

Whether American, latino or international most channels are of no benefit to most people besides the 7-10 channels they regularly watch.

Such biggoted remarks, and you are a dish retailer and sell dish services?

I thought you learned a few months ago when you repeated the same dribble that latino programming is of no value to you. I guess not. Maybe if you loss the ability to represent dish and sell dish services then you will learn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)