DishHD vs. PS3 dvd upconvert.

I didn't think that the PS3 could upconvert regular DVD's to HD DVD's. A matter of fact I stoped watching my old DVD's on my PS3 and went back to my progressive scan DVD player because the picture was much better than the 480i that was coming out of the PS3. Blue-Ray discs are 1080p and they are not upconverted so, what are you actually comparing Dish HD to?

I didn't think that the PS3 could upconvert regular DVD's to HD DVD's. A matter of fact I stoped watching my old DVD's on my PS3 and went back to my progressive scan DVD player because the picture was much better than the 480i that was coming out of the PS3. Blue-Ray discs are 1080p and they are not upconverted so, what are you actually comparing Dish HD to?

The PS3 upconversion was made ready by a F/W update awhile back.

Ive found my samsung BR player to have excellent upconverting(has the same chip as the toshibas), BUT newer movies on HBOHD tend to look better than some SDDVD's upconverted.

Now BR discs compared to HD movie channels, not even close.

DVDs on a HDTV look OK but I wouldn't say comparable to DishHD. Maybe Blu-Ray or HD-DVD but never a DVD.

DVDs on a HDTV look OK but I wouldn't say comparable to DishHD. Maybe Blu-Ray or HD-DVD but never a DVD.

I think theyll have the ability to make sat close or equal to BR, but I dont know if they will.

I saw Curse of the Black Pearl on ABCHD OTA awhile back. I just bought the BR disc for it and Id say they were very close in PQ. Its just a matter of how much compression providers will use in the future.

BUT newer movies on HBOHD tend to look better than some SDDVD's upconverted.

I would agree when comparing the master HBO's that I get from 4DTV to the upconvert's. But DishHD? Come on you and I both know that DISHHD is nothing like it was a couple years ago. And that's my whole point of this post.

I didn't think that the PS3 could upconvert regular DVD's to HD DVD's. A matter of fact I stoped watching my old DVD's on my PS3 and went back to my progressive scan DVD player because the picture was much better than the 480i that was coming out of the PS3. Blue-Ray discs are 1080p and they are not upconverted so, what are you actually comparing Dish HD to?[/QUOTE

You may want to download the latest firmware and check it out yourself. It actually does a nice job of upconverting. Sadly similar to the quality DISHHD puts out.:D

I would agree when comparing the master HBO's that I get from 4DTV to the upconvert's. But DishHD? Come on you and I both know that DISHHD is nothing like it was a couple years ago. And that's my whole point of this post.

Two movies I can think of right off hand (Fellowship of the Ring & The Harry Potter Movies) looked better to me on HBOHD than upconverted. I generally dont watch HBOHD except for the series, and Rome looked damn good.

I think saying that upconverted movies look better than a movie on HBOHD(E*, D* or otherwise) is a stretch.

I have a PS3 with the 1.8x update and it does a great job of upconversion. It also gives you the option to output at 480P 720P and 1080i. Most sd dvd's look best on my Panny AE900 and 116" screen in 1080i. I also have an Oppo 971 upconverting dvd player that will also do 480,720,1080i. The PS3 definetly looks better. I always use the PS3 unless the DVD is region free as the Sony won't play them. That needs to be in the next firmware update. BB468

You may want to download the latest firmware and check it out yourself. It actually does a nice job of upconverting. Sadly similar to the quality DISHHD puts out.:D

I have downloaded the latest firmware, but have never tried watching any regular DVD's after installing it. Thanks guys. I'll give it a try tonight.

Two movies I can think of right off hand (Fellowship of the Ring & The Harry Potter Movies) looked better to me on HBOHD than upconverted. I generally dont watch HBOHD except for the series, and Rome looked damn good.

I think saying that upconverted movies look better than a movie on HBOHD(E*, D* or otherwise) is a stretch.

I never said better, only "about the same".

I never said better, only "about the same".

Yeah. BUT, a lot depends on the upconverting player a person is using also.

Before purchasing my BR player I had the regular Sony 75h upconvert which did not do such a hot job. At least not as good as the Sammy BR player I have now.

Its all subjective, there's more factors involved than just saying "all E* HD looks worse than upconverted DVD's", which is completely false statement.

Yeah. BUT, a lot depends on the upconverting player a person is using also.

Before purchasing my BR player I had the regular Sony 75h upconvert which did not do such a hot job. At least not as good as the Sammy BR player I have now.

Its all subjective, there's more factors involved than just saying "all E* HD looks worse than upconverted DVD's", which is completely false statement.

Again, I never said worse. Only "about the same". :D

The up conversion on the PS3 became available with the 1.81 update. No doubt tweaks of the process will occur over time, but I doubt they will invest the efforts into it like dedicated hardware products out there have.

The up conversion equipment available to the studios and companies like HBO should be able to do much better than the initial code in the PS3. It's just a question of if they take the time to optimize it or not.

The up conversion equipment available to the studios and companies like HBO should be able to do much better than the initial code in the PS3. It's just a question of if they take the time to optimize it or not.

Something tells me they won't. That would have the potential to steal the sales of blu-ray discs.

Maybe I missed something. My PS3 has the current software installed, but the best I could do on a regular DVD is 480i. Does the upconversion only work with HDMI connections? My TV doesn't support HDMI. Or did I miss a setting in the set-up menus on my PS3? Thanks in advance for your help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts