Dishless in Seattle

gman759

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
TX
We have been living in sunny states for the past 19 years, and my job has taken me to Seattle... the winner for most cloudy days in any year :)

We have had DBS provider ever since I moved into a house in the early nineties, and never had cable and would like to keep it that way if we can.

The house is perched on a hillside, with fairly good line of sight to 110/119/129 (hard to say whether there could be serious obstacles, does not look like it).

My questions are:

(1) Is there a difference in signal strength between Directv and Dishnetwork in Seattle area?
(2) My choice would be to continue to use Dishnetwork, if the signal from Directv is stronger, is it worth switching?
(3) If I am to stay with Dishnetwork, should I ask the installer for a larger dish to prevent rain fades?
(4) The current house has a pole mount installation, I definitely want a pole mount installation, can I insist on a pole mount?
(5) Is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Last edited:
We have been living in sunny states for the past 19 years, and my job has taken me to Seattle... the winner for most cloudy days in any year :)

We have had DBS provider ever since I moved into a house in the early nineties, and never had cable and would like to keep it that way if we can.

The house is perched on a hillside, with fairly good line of sight to 110/119/121 (hard to say whether there could be serious obstacles, does not look like it).

My questions are:

(1) Is there a difference in signal strength between Directv and Dishnetwork in Seattle area?
(2) My choice would be to continue to use Dishnetwork, if the signal from Directv is stronger, is it worth switching?
(3) If I am to stay with Dishnetwork, should I ask the installer for a larger dish to prevent rain fades?
(4) The current house has a pole mount installation, I definitely want a pole mount installation, can I insist on a pole mount?

As long as you get your DISH peaked correctly you should be fine. In my current apartment I do not have line of sight for Western Arc so I had to have an Eastern Arc setup. I have not had any issues with any of the snow storms that we have had in Colorado this year. As far as the pole mount goes you can request that you are installed with a pole mount.

The house is perched on a hillside, with fairly good line of sight to 110/119/121 (hard to say whether there could be serious obstacles, does not look like it).

My questions are:

I lived in Kitsap county, west side of the sound, for almost 10 years (on and off), had Dish for most of them. Signal was almost never an issue, less of an issue than when I lived in Corpus Christi. I even had a dish aimed at 61.5, talk about an odd look angle; the arm was pointed down. Good luck with the move.

Miner

with fairly good line of sight to 110/119/121

110/119/129 maybe?

Your post almost sounds like you are thinking a stronger signal means a better picture. "Is there a difference in signal strength between Directv and Dishnetwork in Seattle area?"
There is no difference at all. The strongest signal Dish can give, will give you the same picture quality as the weakest one that is received without losing the signal. Even if Direct TV has a "stronger" signal that does not translate into anything useful.

110/119/129 maybe?

Your post almost sounds like you are thinking a stronger signal means a better picture. "Is there a difference in signal strength between Directv and Dishnetwork in Seattle area?"

Not at all, stronger signal means fewer drops when cloudy, fewer transmission errors (better signal to noise ratio :) ).

BTW, I did correct 110/119/121 to 110/119/129 (I did have a 121 Superdish at one point).

Last edited:
Yes, but in my post I pointed out without losing the signal. If it drops when cloudy, that is losing the signal.... :)

I wish I could get an install with a larger dish to prevent rain fade. I know it doesnt happen often but during hurricane season we get quite a few storms and I lose signal a few times. I was looking to buy a larger dish but shipping costs are too high. I actually asked an installer at the mall if he could do two 4.5 dishes with a dpp41 and two dp lnbs and he said that I would get worse signal and told me he couldnt do it. Dish should offer up that option even if it means paying a lil more for the install.

elmafu69 said:
I wish I could get an install with a larger dish to prevent rain fade. I know it doesnt happen often but during hurricane season we get quite a few storms and I lose signal a few times. I was looking to buy a larger dish but shipping costs are too high. I actually asked an installer at the mall if he could do two 4.5 dishes with a dpp41 and two dp lnbs and he said that I would get worse signal and told me he couldnt do it. Dish should offer up that option even if it means paying a lil more for the install.

>Larger dish
>Worse signal

Sounds like he was full of ####.
Larger reflector=Higher capture.

We've had Dish for more than 13 years in southeast King county, first in Maple Valley & now in Kent. The only time we had a signal problem was when we had so much snow over Christmas two years ago. The only problem was that our dishes were on the top of a two-story roof to clear the trees. There have been very rare, very brief losses with downpours.

The guy just doesn't know how to install a larger dish so he BS'd you. If you look here in the dish tech section you will see my custom install for EA. When we do have rain I have almost NO rain fade. Now looking thru a hurricane it is hard to say if you could ever have a large enough dish to over come that. Has to do with the wavelength of the signal being so small.

For the op the clouds in the Seattle area are not usually the heavy thunderstorm type (they do have some). I lived there for most of a decade and know this for sure. At one time it was necessary to have a separate dish of a large size for 129 but that was before the new sat went up to 129. The 1.2k WA dish should give you a pretty good signal.

gman759 said:

The house is perched on a hillside, with fairly good line of sight to 110/119/129 (hard to say whether there could be serious obstacles, does not look like it).

My questions are:

Fyi, if you want a pole mount expect the installer to schedule you a second visit. We are supposed to call to have utilities marked begore digging.....even if the state doesnt require it, Dish does.

But then again if you get a sub, they may just do it.

How do I find an Dishnetwork/Directv installer in Seattle? I want someone to come and do a site survey.