Dishmover & New Condo coming Q

ac3750

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
I will be closing on a new condo in Dec. As expected, condo rules forbid penetrations into the building. I do have a southwest exposure from my balcony so I do not expect a LOS problem. Here are my questions:

1) I read some postings about a "flat" cable option to go through a window or door. Anyone with experience with this option?

2) Assuming I have a solution to get the 2 cable feeds into the condo, and that i have the dish on a pole embedded in a bucket on concrete, what about the "grounding" of the dish?

3) I have approx 12 months left on my 18 month commitment, will the dishmover program be available to me and will I incur any installation costs?

4) Is there any other situations that I need to be aware of related to the dishmover program and/or condo/balcony installations?

TIA for all feedback and suggestions!

1) I've used flat cables many many times in my installations. They HAVE started on FIRE. Avoid them if you can, but they do work. It's better to use them in windows where there won't be wear and tear. Patio doors with flat cables tend to beat up the flat cables if the door is opened and closed alot.

2) Forget grounding the dish. It's not that important. You can always use a power strip behind your TV that has a coax-grounded feed through built in if you really really really want to ground it.

3) First dishmover is free under the DHPP.

4) Get everything ready for the installer: move junk out of the way; have the TVs away from the walls; get a 6', 1-5/8" OD pole, a five gallon bucket, and two bags of cement with a container for water. Technically you don't need all those supplies (the tech should have it all) but some guys won't have it, and may need to reschedual.

It's easier to get forgiveness from a landlord than permission. Just DO it. Don't ask your landlord (or in your case, condo assoc) about it. But if you do go that route, DONT BLAME THINGS ON THE INSTALLER. Take responsibility. Don't let them tell you that you 'DAMAGED' their property by putting holes in the siding, etc. All holes can be 'fixed' in about 60 seconds with a screw driver and the right color caulk when you end up leaving the property. 'DAMAGE' my butt.

Though condo associations are the worst. But on your balcony, you should be 100% fine. By federal law in fact.

I moved into a 50 unit apartment complex with no balconies. I didn't ask. I did a non-penetrating roof mount, ran my cables to the three cable junction boxes outside, and hooked myself up. They eventually noticed, and asked about it, and I gave them full assurance that there was no damage, and it was 100% professional. The manager was excited to finally have Satellite TV and signed up (before, the owner wouldn't allow anyone to put up a dish). I have two other tenents hooked up as well. It's a win-win-win. But if I would have ASKED for PERMISSION.... Never.

Last edited:
Another option in lieu of the flat window cable is to use a 1" X 1" wood ferring strip, the length of your window or sliding glass door. Drilling a 3/8" hole in the wood stip will allow your coax to pass thru and meet your "no penetration" restrictions.

I've used the flat cables before. In the windows I've had no problems...in a door jam I did have one fail on me after a year or so.

Also, for the pole mounting, I suggest using a plastic planter from Home Depot with a bag of concrete. It looks a lot better than a bucket and leaves enough room to add some soil and plant a few flowers/plants/ivy in there. Aesthetically more pleasing.

RedWings said:
I've used the flat cables before. In the windows I've had no problems...in a door jam I did have one fail on me after a year or so.

Also, for the pole mounting, I suggest using a plastic planter from Home Depot with a bag of concrete. It looks a lot better than a bucket and leaves enough room to add some soil and plant a few flowers/plants/ivy in there. Aesthetically more pleasing.

Thanks all for the feedback...and the planter suggestion is great...never thought of that!