Dish'n it up lease fee question, please advise...

redmach1_04

Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
I know there's an issue with TIVO and Dish right now & I'm not wanting to discuss that with this thread.

I have a 301 and I was going to sign up for a 522/625 back in January with DishNetwork, but they wanted to charge me a $5 lease fee ALONG with a $5.99 DVR fee. Has anyone had luck getting them to TOTALLY remove the $5 lease fee? I'm getting ready to sign up for DirectTV since they'll be cheaper.

DishNetwork DVR ~ $56/month (with LAME lease fee)
Direct TV DVR $51/month

I don't care about having two TV's on diff channels, etc so the 625 isn't worth an extra $5/month. If they'd drop the lease fee, I'd stay with DishNetwork. I already talked them into dropping the $49 or $99 (whatever it was at the time) "Dish'n it up" fee. Had no luck talking them out of the $5/month lease fee when I'd only have ONE DishNetwork Receiver (since I'd get rid of the 301).

The annoying thing is, if I cut DishNetwork for 6 months, they'll give me the 522/625 without the $5 lease fee. It's in their "fine print". Amazes me they'd be willing to lose a customer spending $50+ per month for $5/month.

Any help would be GREATLY appreicated!! I really want to stay with DishNetwork, but I won't pay more money than I should be....

Thanks!!

Last edited:
So new customers don't have to pay for the price of the box since they don't have the $5 lease fee per month?

redmach1_04 said:
So new customers don't have to pay for the price of the box since they don't have the $5 lease fee per month?
Rules is Rules don't like um leave um. After your 24 month contract is up with Directv you can go back to DISH with what ever promotion is running then.:)

I don't like them, which is why I've considered leaving. Just wanted to know before I left if anyone has had any luck getting E* to remove the lease fee's. Just trying to understand how a new customer can get better deals than a loyal 7-year paying customer who's never even had a late payment.

redmach1_04 said:
I don't like them, which is why I've considered leaving. Just wanted to know before I left if anyone has had any luck getting E* to remove the lease fee's. Just trying to understand how a new customer can get better deals than a loyal 7-year paying customer who's never even had a late payment.
When has DISH ever given an equal or better deal to an EXISTING CUSTOMER over a new customer? Once they have you they expect you to stay no matter how badly they treat you.:( :( :(

The DVR fee is there regardless and the waiver of the lease fee is for new customers only. If you had another receiver on the account, the lease fee would just replace the additional outlet fee and hence no monthly increase. Otherwise, if you don't want to pay for the lease, don't lease the receiver. There's no waiver process for leases because it's (how to say this) a LEASE, hence the option or, if you will, choice to purchase equipment.

Finally, if you don't want the ability to use two tvs or the PIP function on the 522/625, lease a 510. Strangely, you're still going to encounter the same fees because you're leasing the equipment. The only way around the lease fee is that you could keep the 301 and have the other receiver setup for a different room, that way you feel like you're paying the lease fee for a purpose.

AskATech said:
The DVR fee is there regardless and the waiver of the lease fee is for new customers only.

Hence why boba said the following:

boba said:
When has DISH ever given an equal or better deal to an EXISTING CUSTOMER over a new customer? Once they have you they expect you to stay no matter how badly they treat you.

E* will offer a better deal to a new customer that could fault on payments, pay late every other month versus an existing customer paying over $1000/year for 6 or 7 years with EVERY payment being early.

Forget the existing customers, just try to get NEW ones.

That's the kind of attitude that is frustrating.

There's a DSL provider here that handle's existing customers the right way. If they run a new promo while you're in a contract, just call them up and tell them you want the new price, they'll switch you over & get a new year committment from the date you get the new price. How could you EVER leave them if you're an existing customer? You always know you're getting the best deal they can offer you.

Last edited:
Find another tv company that gives new customer promotions to existing customers. It's not like Dish has you locked in as the only provider you can have or is the only company that does this. If you like the service you're getting, you'll stay with them anyway. I hate the people that post as if we don't live in a free market economy with options based on choice. Even if you live in an extremely rural area and can only get satellite tv, you have other options. So yeah, cancel, go to DirectTv and get a DVR for the same monthly rate minus the lease fee and then when everything goes HD and you have to upgrade, watch them charge you to do the upgrade as well. If other companies do it, I don't see why Dish should be the one that's targeted as the one that's doing it wrong just because you're a current customer. Honestly, the logic behind the lease fee is probably that it only affects the 5% of customers that only have one tv because everyone else is already paying a lease or additional outlet fee and hence no monthly change. I've said this before and I'll say it again, companies like Dish (and anyone who exchanges goods and services for financial gain) are in the business of making a profit.

For the love of God, go with DTV. Neither company offers good deals to existing customers. FACT. In a few years, you can go back to Dish as new customer and get all their goodies. It's how you work the game.
Good Luck.
Tom

The only way to avoid the DVR fee with DISH is to get their upper tier package.

The lease fee is the same thing the cable companies charge. Last I checked with Time Warner, to lease their DVR is would be $9.95, and if you wanted the HD part activated it was an additional $5. So for one HD-DVR it would cost $14.95 just to lease it!

Directv is also leasing their equipment as well, so no matter where you go, unless you purchase the receivers, you'll be stuck with a lease fee.

Think of the positives: If the equipment breaks, DISH has to replace it without cost to you. Plus, you can upgrade to better equipment cheaper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)