DishNet HD DVR 921 instal questions

dguest

Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
I have an existing Dish 500 system feeding two receivers. The Dish has two lnbf's each with two coax connections. Each lnbf feeds a separate cable to a switch which combines the feeds into one cable and each of those runs to a receiver.

I now have a Dish HD DVR 921 (which requires two coax feeds from the dish). I could take the second feed I currently have and route that to the new receiver, but then, I'd loose the use of the second receiver.

Can I just split the feed to the second receiver and run the split to the No. 2 coax input of the DVR?

dguest said:
I have an existing Dish 500 system feeding two receivers. The Dish has two lnbf's each with two coax connections. Each lnbf feeds a separate cable to a switch which combines the feeds into one cable and each of those runs to a receiver.

I now have a Dish HD DVR 921 (which requires two coax feeds from the dish). I could take the second feed I currently have and route that to the new receiver, but then, I'd loose the use of the second receiver.

Can I just split the feed to the second receiver and run the split to the No. 2 coax input of the DVR?

No, you can't just split the coax.

Your question was answered in the other thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=39983

Thanks. I'm amazed that the manufacturer doesn't provide more detailed installation documentation. But you guys have filled in the blanks. The wiring diagrams make sense now.

Simon writes: "If you replace your existing setup with a DishProPlus Twin and a DPPlus Separator for the 921, you will have exactly what you need, along with an input for a third bird if needed - like for CBS-HD which is on 61.5 and 148 (choose one)"

What about the DishPro quad LBN? Wouldn't that give me the ability to hook up four receivers without the need for separators and switches? What I need is two satellite feeds to the 921 box and one feed to the second box for a total of three. Actually, I'd like to replace the second box with a 501 DVR.

So, what I'll have is this: A single dish (I don't need Dish 300, at least for now), feeding a DVR 921 (two inputs) and a DVR 501 (one input). Again, will the DishPro quad work for that setup? And why does one DVR need two feeds while the other one only needs one? I thought they'd both need two so the machine could record on one channel while you're watching another. But then, the 921 has picture in picture so maybe that's it.

Thanks again.

dguest said:
Simon writes: "If you replace your existing setup with a DishProPlus Twin and a DPPlus Separator for the 921, you will have exactly what you need, along with an input for a third bird if needed - like for CBS-HD which is on 61.5 and 148 (choose one)"

What about the DishPro quad LBN? Wouldn't that give me the ability to hook up four receivers without the need for separators and switches? What I need is two satellite feeds to the 921 box and one feed to the second box for a total of three. Actually, I'd like to replace the second box with a 501 DVR.
The DishPro Quad LNB will allow you to connect up to 4 tuners without the need for additional switches.(it has a switch built in) If any of your receivers are legacy models (4 digit model numbers) you will need a Legacy Adapter for each legacy receiver.

The DishProPlus Twin LNB allows you to connect up to 2 receivers without additional switches. If either receiver is a dual-tuner receiver using a DishProPlus Separator will allow you to feed both tuners with one cable from the LNB. The DPP44 switch is an external switch with the same capabilities, with the addition of a 4th satellite input and 2 additional receiver outputs.

dguest said:
So, what I'll have is this: A single dish (I don't need Dish 300, at least for now), feeding a DVR 921 (two inputs) and a DVR 501 (one input). Again, will the DishPro quad work for that setup?
Yes it will.

dguest said:
And why does one DVR need two feeds while the other one only needs one?
The 921 needs 2 inputs because it has 2 tuners. The 501/508/510 needs 1 feed because it has 1 tuner

dguest said:
I thought they'd both need two so the machine could record on one channel while you're watching another. But then, the 921 has picture in picture so maybe that's it.
The 501/508/510 only has one tuner. You can't watch one (live) channel while you record another. You can watch a show you previously recorded while you record another program though. The 921 (and 721 and 522 in single mode) being dual-tuner receivers (requiring 2 satellite inputs) do allow you to watch a live channel while recording another.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)