DISHnet & Hughesnet Gen 5

Or those that want a somewhat reliable back up.

I have 120 x 12 from Spectrum (fastest I can get), but have HughesNet for backup. Both connected to a dual WAN Cisco router configured for automatic failover.

I live in a rural area and needed a backup solution for work in case I were to be stuck home because of a snowstorm like I was in 2014 and lost cable service. Verizon does not offer DSL to my address. Some areas of my town can get it via RT, but speeds top out at either 1.5 or 3 Mbps down (can’t remember which). Cellular is not an option. As I come to find out by switching my mobile phone service to them earlier in the week, I have zero T-Mobile reception anywhere near me, AT&T is weak to nonexistent, Sprint gets me poor 3G and weak 4G at best if in the right area of the house, and Verizon Wireless fades out in the back half of the house where all of my computer gear is.

While I have not needed to rely on HughesNet in the almost year I’ve had it, the service is very poor most of the time on Gen 4 for me. Sometimes I can achieve pings 800ms or less and get speeds 25-30 Mbps down x 1.5 Mb up, which actually isn’t too bad for connecting to work via VPN. I can connect fine and even use RDP and VNC without too much of a hassle. Yes, takes a little while to make the initial connection, it’s slow to render the remote display, and there’s a little bit of a delay, but it will do the job if need be and is actually better then I thought it would be. But most of the time that is not the case. Quite often during prime time, I get pings of 1000ms+, 1 to 2 Mbps down and best, and barley anything on the upload. I was planning to see about upgrading to Gen 5, not a fan though of the forced wifi gateway with a higher rental fee though.

Why would you even do that?

You would be better getting a cellular hot spot.

Why would you even do that?

You would be better getting a cellular hot spot.

No I wouldn't. Like I said:

T-Mobile - Absolutely zero reception within a few miles of where I live
Sprint - 3G only unless hotspot is the the bathroom window
AT&T - Almost no service inside, outside standing on the drive way I can get poor but somewhat usable HSPA+
Verizon - Unstable reception in the areas I need it

For cellular, my router only accepts USB modems for failover where my router and other network gear is located there is next to no cell phone reception from either Sprint or Verizon, the only two providers that work inside of my house. The whole idea of this is to have as seamless of a process as possible. If I lose cable, the satellite modem will pick up on the fly and I can continue to access my NAS, printer and other network resources with out fumbling around. And as long as I have UPS and a satellite signal, the satellite connection is good, if as cellular tower goes down, or there is a backhaul problem I'm SOL.

And then there's the whole data usage thing. There is a lot of stuff I could do in the overnight hours if need be to use the 50 GB bonus data, instead of burning through the anytime data.

Because he stated he has poor cellular reception. Still, I would be very happy if I could get Spectrum.
And paying all that money for Hughes as a backup is a waste.

Not really. If I can't make it into work because I'm snowed in, I don't get paid unless I can prove I'm actually working from home. In 2014 we got 70+ inches of snow in a 4 day span and when a snowplow came by, the weight of the snow slamming against the utility pole caused my cable line to be ripped out and I lost internet access for a few days. The whole area was under a driving ban, no way did I expect them to come out and fix it. I spent half of the week working off of a Verizon Jetpack that I had 3GB of data on, but could barely get more then a couple of Mbps out of. That's what motivated me to pursue satellite internet.

Plus my work pays for most of the bill. They let me do the same thing as I do with my cable bill, I can expense the cost of basic service, any extras are on me. So I expense $65 for Spectrum since that's what their basic service cost, and the price difference between Standard Internet and Ultra Internet is on me. Same thing with HughesNet. I opted for the second to lowest tier. The standard Gen 4 package was I believe $50 for 5GB of anytime data at 10 x 1. I opted for 10GB of anytime data at 15 x 1 for a little bit more. The total bill is a little above $60/month, but I expense $50 of that.

No I wouldn't. Like I said:

T-Mobile - Absolutely zero reception within a few miles of where I live
Sprint - 3G only unless hotspot is the the bathroom window
AT&T - Almost no service inside, outside standing on the drive way I can get poor but somewhat usable HSPA+
Verizon - Unstable reception in the areas I need it

For cellular, my router only accepts USB modems for failover where my router and other network gear is located there is next to no cell phone reception from either Sprint or Verizon, the only two providers that work inside of my house. The whole idea of this is to have as seamless of a process as possible. If I lose cable, the satellite modem will pick up on the fly and I can continue to access my NAS, printer and other network resources with out fumbling around. And as long as I have UPS and a satellite signal, the satellite connection is good, if as cellular tower goes down, or there is a backhaul problem I'm SOL.

And then there's the whole data usage thing. There is a lot of stuff I could do in the overnight hours if need be to use the 50 GB bonus data, instead of burning through the anytime data.

Not really. If I can't make it into work because I'm snowed in, I don't get paid unless I can prove I'm actually working from home. In 2014 we got 70+ inches of snow in a 4 day span and when a snowplow came by, the weight of the snow slamming against the utility pole caused my cable line to be ripped out and I lost internet access for a few days. The whole area was under a driving ban, no way did I expect them to come out and fix it. I spent half of the week working off of a Verizon Jetpack that I had 3GB of data on, but could barely get more then a couple of Mbps out of. That's what motivated me to pursue satellite internet.

Plus my work pays for most of the bill. They let me do the same thing as I do with my cable bill, I can expense the cost of basic service, any extras are on me. So I expense $65 for Spectrum since that's what their basic service cost, and the price difference between Standard Internet and Ultra Internet is on me. Same thing with HughesNet. I opted for the second to lowest tier. The standard Gen 4 package was I believe $50 for 5GB of anytime data at 10 x 1. I opted for 10GB of anytime data at 15 x 1 for a little bit more. The total bill is a little above $60/month, but I expense $50 of that.

Makes sense to me. As an IT person I can understand the need for redundancy and it sounds like satellite internet is your only option

Reactions: littlecloud319
Yep. Not counting the actual work day, if I were to be stuck home, there are other things I need reliable and redundant internet for after hours.

There are a small handful of mission critical things I have to monitor weekly after hours for financial reasons involving batch jobs that execute on servers via Task Scheduler. Some of the batch files on the server then trigger things to happen on the PCs of some of my end users. Some of the end users manage to do some really odd things to their PCs and the end result is FUBAR and I need to manually re-run jobs by remoting into servers via RDP or the desktop of users via VNC. I really have no idea what these jobs do, other then calculate a bunch of fancy financial stuffs for the bean counters in Accounting to analyze, but the end results eventually get reported to our bank so it's imperative that the results are accurate as possible. When the final output CSV file from our ERP system that is generated from some highly customized Excel macro that I can't even begin to understand is around 50kb in size and it normally is around 50mb, I need to have that re-run prior to the first financial transaction of the next day.

Having approx 50 users who are not based out of the office and live all around the country and travel for sales and service, I have been emailed on the weekends and in the middle of the night to disable VPN access and disable AD accounts for employees on the road who become disgruntled. Twice I had instances where managers thought employees were feeding competitors information and I received calls from HR asking me to allow monitoring of their emails. Basically set up transport rules in Exchange that all incoming and outgoing mail from the user in question be BCC'd to their boss.

This is all stuff that may not seem big in the grand scheme of things, but as one of two IT guys, working at a company I really have come to like and enjoy, having multiple solutions for internet access is the best way I can do my job and ensure the company is best taken take of if the need arises. I don't have satellite internet for the hell of it,so I can attempt to SnapChat neekid pictures of myself like all the cool kids are doing or to cry about how awful my life is on Facebook or whatever non-social media platform is cool this month if my cable goes out. It serves a purpose, I hope I never have to rely on it, but if I use it just once to defuse a potential bad situation, it will be 110% worth it.

Have you considered just installing a cell signal amplifier/repeater with an external antenna that would give you more reliable service from multiple cell carriers? We have one installed in our RV that's done a great job of giving us solid signals everywhere we've been so far, including areas where the carriers coverage maps say "No service".

Hey, many of us here have made our living, off and on, correcting keyboard-chair interlink errors!

Today, I am a proud beancounter, and more and more, back to being an HR professional.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)