Dishnetwork 61.5W and 148W help.

viewsonic

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Sorry wrong forum. Can admn. delete this post?

Hi Kind Folks:

I need help installing a dishnetwork dish 500 with two LNBFs. I started yesterday with cable hooked to 119 LNBF, and when I was adjusting I was able to get both Satellite 119 and 110. However I could not get 61.5W (guess I have bad line of sight)

Here is my info!

Zip Code 48331, from www.dishnetwork.com Azimuth = 228, Elevation = 31, Skew = 119.

My need is to get International-South Asian programming and it comes on following satellites Satellite 148, 0r 121, or 61.5.

I have following questions and need your help desperately.

1. Can I point to either 148W or 61.5W, since according to www.dishnetwork.com “We are not able to offer international channels on the 119 or 110 satellite locations due to the space contraints on the satellites in those orbital slots. All international programming (other than the DISH Latino programming) is only available on the 61.5 or 148 satellite locations.”
2. For Echostar 61.5W, Azimuth is 149.6 and Elevation is 36.4
3. For Echostar 148W, Azimuth is 252.5 and Elevation is 9.6
4. Which LNBF I shall connect to (I was connected to 119 when I got satellite)
5. How much is correction of Azimuth at my location
6. Is this correct 110W is left of 119W and 148W is right of 110W. I think I have a bad line of sight for 61.5W from my back balcony (2nd floor). However, for 148W, the elevation is very low. Does this make a difference for signal strength?
7. I know where approx. North is at my location, for calculating azimuth, which website should I use this www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm or www.csgnetwork.com/antennasatelazposcalc.html. In the first website 148W is calulcated by inputting -148? is this correct?
8. Please correct me if I am wrong, the Azimuth is calculated starting north going clockwise?

Thanks for replying and please pardon me for long list of questions, I spent 6 hours yesterday (one guy moving dish and then walking in and out to see signal). I do have the satellite signal finder, borrowed from friend, but no compass.

You need a separate dish and a switch to get 61.5 (148 looks like too low an elevation). I think Dish has a $99 deal to install the second dish and get it all hooked up, or you can try to find a cheap Dish 300 somewhere and a switch to get it hooked up. Go to Walmart and get a compass with degrees marked on it, would have saved you 5 1/2 of your 6 hours.

As far as LNB and switches go, we have to know what you already have. Do you have DishPro or not (DP has a big DP on the LNB). You can look on the switch test screen and it will tell you what you have.

viewsonic said:
I need help installing a dishnetwork dish 500 with two LNBFs. I started yesterday with cable hooked to 119 LNBF, and when I was adjusting I was able to get both Satellite 119 and 110. However I could not get 61.5W (guess I have bad line of sight)

Here is my info!

Zip Code 48331, from www.dishnetwork.com Azimuth = 228, Elevation = 31, Skew = 119.

61.5 is way off rom 110/119...its almost a 90 degree difference in MN
My need is to get International-South Asian programming and it comes on following satellites Satellite 148, 0r 121, or 61.5.

are you sure the channel you want is on 61.5 or 148, and not just on 121?
I have following questions and need your help desperately.

1. Can I point to either 148W or 61.5W, since according to www.dishnetwork.com “We are not able to offer international channels on the 119 or 110 satellite locations due to the space contraints on the satellites in those orbital slots. All international programming (other than the DISH Latino programming) is only available on the 61.5 or 148 satellite locations.”
2. For Echostar 61.5W, Azimuth is 149.6 and Elevation is 36.4
3. For Echostar 148W, Azimuth is 252.5 and Elevation is 9.6
61.5 would be easier...I get 35.2 elevation and 148.3 azimuth

4. Which LNBF I shall connect to (I was connected to 119 when I got satellite)

you will need a separate dish to get 61.5. You cannot get 110/119 & 61.5 on the same dish
5. How much is correction of Azimuth at my location
around +6 to 8
6. Is this correct 110W is left of 119W and 148W is right of 110W. I think I have a bad line of sight for 61.5W from my back balcony (2nd floor). However, for 148W, the elevation is very low. Does this make a difference for signal strength?
If you're looking at the dish (the arm is aimed towards you) a Dish 500, the 110 would be on the left and 119 on the right. 61.5 would be to the right (east) and 148 would be to the left (west). 148 is harder to get E of the Mississippi river, due to the lower elevation. It wont hurt the signal, just harder to get
7. I know where approx. North is at my location, for calculating azimuth, which website should I use this www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm or www.csgnetwork.com/antennasatelazposcalc.html. In the first website 148W is calulcated by inputting -148? is this correct?
8. Please correct me if I am wrong, the Azimuth is calculated starting north going clockwise?
correct
Thanks for replying and please pardon me for long list of questions, I spent 6 hours yesterday (one guy moving dish and then walking in and out to see signal). I do have the satellite signal finder, borrowed from friend, but no compass.

hell, I'd take a compass over a meter anyday :)

I'm assuming you have a Dish500 and are adding a dish for 61.5 or 148, right?

HEY! One thing I noticed. The zipcode given is in the Detroit TV market. If you get the Detroit locals, you can ask for a FREEEEEEEEEE dish from Dish Network and get it with free installation and equipment needed to make it work on your system by FCC ruling. Dish HAS to, but FCC interpretation of present law, provide a free dish pointed at 61.5° to any subscriber to the Detroit locals. Once you get the free dish, there is absolutely no obligation to continue the locals service! Again Dish is being forced to do this by the FCC and has no option to deny you if you are a present subscriber to the Detroit locals.

See ya
Tony

Damn....totally forgot about that

yep. there is one channel on there
Detroit, MI Local Channels

$5.99 per month

Station Local Channel Number Dish Channel Number
DETROIT ABC-WXYZ (LOCALS) 7 8030
DETROIT CBS-WWJ (LOCALS) 62 8031
DETROIT FOX-WJBK (LOCALS) 2 8033
DETROIT NBC-WDIV (LOCALS) 4 8032
DETROIT PBS-WTVS (LOCALS) 56 8036
DETROIT UPN-WKBD (LOCALS) 50 8035
DETROIT WB-WDWB (LOCALS) 20 8034
DETROIT IND-WADL (RELIGIOUS/LOCALS)* 38 8037

* You will need a second satellite dish to view these additional channels. DISH Network will provide the second dish and installation free of charge. For more information, or to schedule an installation, please call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

You may nevr watch it, but you get the dish for free..

TNGTony.....what happens when there is a LOS issue? (he is worried about that). What happens then?

Thanks folks:

Thanks Iceburg:

I overlooked may be the international programming is also available at 121. Here is the link www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/channels/indexpackage.asp?NetwID=50519 . However, here it says different, http://faq.dishnetwork.com/questions/55.asp?sc=/&cboSubCategory=0&cboCategory=0&txtSearch=61.5&pg=1 may the dishnetwork website is not updated. I’ll try 121,
I found 119. So 121 could not be far. ?

I have Dish 500 dish. I do not have access to dish right now, but I am pretty sure this is Dish 500. I have only subscribed for international programming. I have cable for US programs. When I locked to 119W, I could see USA, TBS? and other free air channels.

Question:

Is there a website that gives you exact lat/long with street address?

Thanks for help folks!

viewsonic said:
Thanks folks:

Thanks Iceburg:

I overlooked may be the international programming is also available at 121. Here is the link www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/channels/indexpackage.asp?NetwID=50519 . However, here it says different, http://faq.dishnetwork.com/questions/55.asp?sc=/&cboSubCategory=0&cboCategory=0&txtSearch=61.5&pg=1 may the dishnetwork website is not updated. I’ll try 121,
I found 119. So 121 could not be far. ?

121 wont be picked up with a Dish 500. You need a 30" dish and a different LNBF, due to the lower power.
The programming you posted is on 61.5, so you'll be OK with a Dish 500
I have Dish 500 dish. I do not have access to dish right now, but I am pretty sure this is Dish 500. I have only subscribed for international programming. I have cable for US programs. When I locked to 119W, I could see USA, TBS? and other free air channels.

The only thing you could see would be 101 (help channel), NASA (213), and a couple more without a basic subscription
Question:

Is there a website that gives you exact lat/long with street address?

Thanks for help folks!
I use this one
It doesnt do street address but does zip code.

Thanks a lot folks!

I bought compass, and a level and then cought the 148W in 15 minutes. Signal strength is @75-80. :D

Now one easy question.....

I have hooked cable and dish to the receiver and output to 1 tv in 1 bedroom. I want to get the output across to another bedroom's TV (has cable). I know I'll be watching same channels in both bedrooms, but we need to watch the younger one in the nursery.

What kind of switch I need to buy?

Thanks a lot again!

viewsonic said:
Thanks a lot folks!

I bought compass, and a level and then cought the 148W in 15 minutes. Signal strength is @75-80. :D

cool that you got it to work...a compass can be your best friend in the satellite business :D
Now one easy question.....

I have hooked cable and dish to the receiver and output to 1 tv in 1 bedroom. I want to get the output across to another bedroom's TV (has cable). I know I'll be watching same channels in both bedrooms, but we need to watch the younger one in the nursery.

What kind of switch I need to buy?

Thanks a lot again!
a 2 way splitter..split the output on the back of the receiver (rf out) and run it to both TV's

No signal for 148 west

Hi

My zip code is 97224 and I'm trying to point 2nd dish 500 pro with Dual LNB (1st one is pointed to 110/119) to 148 west to get International Programming.

Azimuth / Elevation / Skew for 119 at 97224 is 150 / 36 / 82.

First I used the point dish option in receiver and it gives NA for all values on 148 west for Dish 500, but when I change it to Dish 300 it gives Azimuth / Elevation / Skew of 195 / 32 / NA

I used the exe file at dishnetwork to chech Azimuth / Elevation / Skew for 148 west and it gives same values 195 / 32 / NA.

Does that mean I cannot use a DISH 500 Pro dish for 148 west?

I went ahead and aligned the dish to 195 degrees and elevation to 32, didnt get any signal. Should the skew be 82?

There was one old post to change the signal scan so the dish scans for satellite faster. Do I need to do that? if yes how?

I stay on 2nd floor and apartment complex is on top of a hill. The signal strength for 119 and 110 is above 100. Not sure why I dont catch 148 west.

Sorry for too many questions, after reading previous post I tried for 3 hrs yesterday using both compass and level no luck till now.

I'm a newbie in this arena so any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you

If you are using a DPTwin for 148, make sure the skew is 90 (level) and then use the azimuth & elevation markings Dish Network says

I'm assuming you already have a Dish Pro LNB on 110/119?
I would run the line from the 148 DIRECTLY to the receiver...once you get signal, then hook up the DP21 switch (or DP34, 44, etc) and run check switch.

Welcome aboard!

What Iceberg said, but ...
russat said:
... First I used the point dish option in receiver and it gives NA for all values on 148 west for Dish 500, but when I change it to Dish 300 it gives Azimuth / Elevation / Skew of 195 / 32 / NA

Does that mean I cannot use a DISH 500 Pro dish for 148 west?

I went ahead and aligned the dish to 195 degrees and elevation to 32, didnt get any signal. Should the skew be 82?
Here's the scoop - cover the 110 LNBF with tinfoil so you "know" you're getting the correct 'eye' aligned. A D500's 'eyes' are offset about 4.5 degrees from center. In other words, a D500's azimuth is actually BETWEEN 110 & 119. You can learn more about this by comparing your D500 numbers for 110/119 with the D300 numbers - you'll see that little difference.

If you change your azimuth from 195 to 199 and skew to 90 I think you'll have it.

And yes - hook port #1 of the 148 LNBF directly to your receiver, run Check Switch and THEN aim it. Once you've got good signal, hook the DP34 and 110/119 bird into the mix and run Check Switch again.

I don't know where you are, but I get 100 out of 125 on most transponders - 13 seems to be a bit weak, which sucks 'cause that's CBS-HD.
russat said:
... There was one old post to change the signal scan so the dish scans for satellite faster. Do I need to do that? if yes how? ...
I've got no idea what this might be about - do you still have the post ID for it?

Thanks Iceberg for quick reply.

I will change the skew to 90 and check it.

I'm assuming you already have a Dish Pro LNB on 110/119?

Yes, I already have one Dish Pro LNB on 110/119, I bought a 2nd dish for 148.

Check Switch Error

Gurus

I changed the skew to 90, elevation to 32 and azimuth to 195.

In point dish menu it shows wrong satellite and signal at transponder 01 is for 119 west!!!!

This is really confusing because my 110/119 dish is almost 45 degrees from this one. Why am I getting 119 west at this azimuth?

When I run check switch it shows problem detected check connections and in details it shows

LNB Status: Direct Connect to a DP-Twin
DP-Twin-1 Connected No signal.

Any help would be really appreciated.

The transponder/bird is whatever the tuner was doing last - you must manually change it to the appropriate bird & tp.

THEN, you can start aiming. ;)

Gurus,

Did point dish to 148 west, then check switch and started aiming. Walla ....caught 148 west in 15 mins......at 197 / 40 :D

Thank you very very much for your help.

Just one more thing, the signal strength is between 55 to 65 :no , DishNetwork says u need more than 70 for good pircture. I tried to fine tune but 65 is max I get.

Should I do something or just forget about it :confused:

Thoughts, opinions.

You should be getting a much better signal strength than that.

Try it again - with patience, grasshopper, patience.
Tiny move. Wait. Check. Tiny move. Wait. Check.

You need a meter or someone watching the point Dish screen for you. Note that it takes 2-3 seconds for Point Dish to react to whatever you do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)