DishNetwork and 522

atltechguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
I am thinking about switching from Comcast to DishNetwork and getting the 522. It seems like Comcast in the Atlanta area, will be a long time until they release there DVR. Is the 522 a good DVR and will Dish ever add more HDTV. Thanks for your imput.

Yes the 522 is a great DVR, the best one on Dish Network. But since it is a new Dish product, it does have a few bugs, rest assured that they will all be worked out. The question you need to ask yourself, is if you're willing to put up with the small bugs until they are fixed. Dish will add more HDTV, the question is when, I think most ppl can agree that they will at least add a few more channels such as Showtime HD by the summer.

I am new to Dish Network and have had nothing but problems with the 522. Freeze-ups, blue screens, lost audio, internal communication errors and lost signal. I had the dish reinstalled to better acquire the 110/119 satellites, but I still have problems with the receiver. The basic 311 works great, but it has limited features. I would not have gone with Dish had I known what a hassle this would be.

Sapient said:
I've had the 522 for a few days now and have had no problems with it.

I've been using the 522 for about 2 weeks and the only bug I've encountered is an audio drop out here or there (but only during playback of recorded material, not when watching Live TV). The receiver is really nice and once they get the bugs worked out (there have been some other ones mentioned), it will definitely be a great unit.

Travis

Trav said:
I've been using the 522 for about 2 weeks and the only bug I've encountered is an audio drop out here or there (but only during playback of recorded material, not when watching Live TV). The receiver is really nice and once they get the bugs worked out (there have been some other ones mentioned), it will definitely be a great unit.

Travis

I have been getting those audio hiccups too. I also see some serious ghosting when I watch certain recorded shows. Yesterday I watched a show I had recorded from the local FOX affiliate at about 1:00 am (it was a prime time show that was pushed back due to coverage of local events). As far as I can tell, visual echos stayed on the screen for a good 5 seconds, so every shot had a lot of old garbage hanging out in front of what I was trying to watch. I don't' know how much of this is the signal, and how much is the DVR, but it is sure annoying.

scottymca said:
I am new to Dish Network and have had nothing but problems with the 522. Freeze-ups, blue screens, lost audio, internal communication errors and lost signal. I had the dish reinstalled to better acquire the 110/119 satellites, but I still have problems with the receiver. The basic 311 works great, but it has limited features. I would not have gone with Dish had I known what a hassle this would be.
Why don't you make the dealer take the unit back and replace it? It's a leased receiver after all. If you have had problems with it since you got it, there shouldn't be a problem with replacing it.

Sapient said:
I have been getting those audio hiccups too. I also see some serious ghosting when I watch certain recorded shows. Yesterday I watched a show I had recorded from the local FOX affiliate at about 1:00 am (it was a prime time show that was pushed back due to coverage of local events). As far as I can tell, visual echos stayed on the screen for a good 5 seconds, so every shot had a lot of old garbage hanging out in front of what I was trying to watch. I don't' know how much of this is the signal, and how much is the DVR, but it is sure annoying.
The Dish DVRs store the satellite feed bit-for-bit as it hits the receiver. No way "visual echoes" can show up theat are not already in the content. I suspect your Fox feed has ghosts - a typical problem with Over-The-Air TV.

M Law said:
Why don't you make the dealer take the unit back and replace it? It's a leased receiver after all. If you have had problems with it since you got it, there shouldn't be a problem with replacing it.
I agree - sounds like you've got a sick 522 (common problem - maybe that's why they can only be leased?). Call Dish - tell them to replace it.

SimpleSimon said:
The Dish DVRs store the satellite feed bit-for-bit as it hits the receiver. No way "visual echoes" can show up theat are not already in the content. I suspect your Fox feed has ghosts - a typical problem with Over-The-Air TV.

After watching a fair amount of TV, I do believe you are right. My Fox station has, by far, the worst picture that I recieve from Dish. None of my other locals have even half the problems. I wonder if Dish aquires the Fox signal in a different way than my other locals.

Sapient said:
After watching a fair amount of TV, I do believe you are right. My Fox station has, by far, the worst picture that I recieve from Dish. None of my other locals have even half the problems. I wonder if Dish aquires the Fox signal in a different way than my other locals.
It could very well be just antenna placement of the Fox station vs. the others. I'm gonna guess that in most markets, Dish grabs the signal OTA and uplinks it from one place - that's easier than having uplinks at each station. On the other hand, some markets main networks are already directly uplinked to C-Band (Denver and Anchorage are on AMC-7 @ 137), and Dish probably just grabs them from there.