Dishnetwork and RVing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

geechee

Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
I want to add Sat TV capability to my motor home and I am considering DN. Up till now I have resisted doing so since at home I utilize cable for TV and internet access. My question is if I opt to switch to Sat is there any advantage to Dish vs. Direct? Two has anyone experience with the 322 dual receiver in a RV? Thanks in advance for any postings.

dish will have a lower start up cost. directv has better equipment. compare the plans and deceide what is right for you. are you able to switch to dsl if you go the satellite way?

welcome to the site.

Yes we have DSL available, but I can also keep just the cable internet access. If it was not for all our traveling in the motor home I would not be considering Sat.

It's easier to point a D* single-LNB dish than a E* Dish500 - but with a little practice, it won't make any difference.

E* will issue RV waivers so you can get distant networks. Dunno about D* - or if they do, whether the nets are on 101 (the single LNB bird).

As for two tuners, you can use a single cable from dish to box with E* using the DPP-Twin LNB, then maybe the RV in-wall cable to feed the second TV.

With D*, you need two boxes, but you MIGHT be able to use the in-wall cable.

Overall, there's too many variables to give a definitive answer as to which is better on the installation and operations side. I suggest contacting a GOOD local retailer that handles BOTH and see what they say.

If you drove up to my shop, I'd check out the RV for you and let you play with our portable dish to see how you'd do with aiming.

One thing - if you're going to go with an auto-aim unit, many of them are rather limited in equipment choices. I don't like them myself.

Thanks SS, This is all real new to me. The few people I have talk to about this recommended dual LNB dish mounted on a detachable tripod
as the best way to go. They say there is too many campgrounds where a dome mount, auto-aim or not, just can't acquire a good signal. To show just how new this is to me, which services do D* & E* signify?

If you wan't locals with D*(depending on where you are at(are on another sat so you would have to get at least a 2 lnb dish or probably the phase III which will get 3 sats... It is a little bit trickier than the dish 500... but do-able...and yes I belive Rv waivers are ava. also. But if you just want the bulk of D*s programming you can just go with a one lnb dish... 101 is pretty easy to find... As Simon points out, find someone that handles both so you can compare....

geechee said:
I want to add Sat TV capability to my motor home and I am considering DN. Up till now I have resisted doing so since at home I utilize cable for TV and internet access. My question is if I opt to switch to Sat is there any advantage to Dish vs. Direct? Two has anyone experience with the 322 dual receiver in a RV? Thanks in advance for any postings.

The 322 requires that you have a continuous phone line connected or you get charged an extra $5/mo. Do you really need two channels in the RV?

Another thought. with a DVR, you could record things overnight or while out during the day (with RV parked) and thus stock up on shows for those evenings when you don't want to set up the antenna or can't get a good signal.

JohnP

Ok I've been using satelite for 2 years camping and did some reasearch lots of info on rv.net (i think thats the web site) anyway as far as I know dish is the only one to give you a rv waiver where you d/l the form (i think they call it mobile waiver) just need to send a COPY of a current regristation and you can get up to 4 distant locals I get n.y (i'm in el paso tx) so i can see loacal t.v 2 hours earlier. its 4.99 per distant local there are 4 on the 119 satelite. I use a 500 dish but only care about 119 so with 2 lnbs I have twice the chance of hitting the sat. I've been in the mountains with lots of trees and still get the sat, real easy maybe takes 5-10 min. its easy cost only 5.00 more we use a 311 and have never had a phone line connected and works great and never paid 5.00 extra. hope that helps. When you are out in your mh you will see lots of folks with a dish, ask they will be more than willing to help.

I have Dishnetwork at home, and bought a tripod from camping world and a Direct TV dual LNB Dish, yes, I use it for Dishnetwork. We take two receivers on the road, one for kids bunkroom and one for us. Works out great, but I only try to hit 119, it has most of the stations I want, and it's alot easier to point and hit 119 than try to get 119 and 110. Would be okay if your gonna stop for a weeks or so, but most of our stops are two or 3 days. My Brother in law just got Dish and takes a Dish 500 with them and they love it, but only use it for long stays. As far as direct TV having better stuff, most of Dish's stuff thats been out for a while is pretty decent, the 311's are a very nice receiver.

You could also request a dual tuner DVR or go with a DVR and a single receiver, that way you can record on the road.

He also had cable internet but after switch to Dish, went with DSL as they had local access number to call with laptop while on the road.

Left D because I was going to become a Fulltime Rver.They frowned on it and I told them to jam it.E*welcomed me with open arms and no phone line connected.They have an RV plan for pay movies also.Have dual Lnb for on the road and a 500 when sitting for a while.Have Distant channels(ny) and 180.Well satisfied since 1996.

With Dish, you send your RV waiver form in, then you get to pick Two Distant Network from the list. NY, LA, ect. All Receivers on the account get the stations. They Are $5 per City.

They then activate it on all your receivers.

With Direct TV same thing. Except they have to set up a special receiver account so only that one receiver will get the distants for your RV. They charge a couple of dollars more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)