dishnetwork credit criteria too high

isellsatellite

Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
ok so new on the forums for one.
two i'm a retailer of directv and dish network
dish network's credit criteria is too high.
they also will or will not qualify you based on whether you use a credit or debit card.
granted its easier to sell with the free installation and free dual dvr.
i had a lady today with a 650 credit score and it didn't let it go through because she had a bankruptcy 13 years ago!!! I though all that got erased after 10 years?

they also will or will not qualify you based on whether you use a credit or debit card.
i had a lady today with a 650 credit score and it didn't let it go through because she had a bankruptcy 13 years ago!!! I though all that got erased after 10 years?
I would contact the credit agency and have them fix the bankruptcy thing. It should have been taken off at 7 or 10 years after filing depending on what chapter was filled.

I had a bankruptcy just last year and got approved through Dish just last week, I went on there website and got everything free. Just hasnt been installed due to the east arc here in se ky.. They came to install but had no line of sight for my HD channels and things. So im not saying everyone will get approved but im proof i guess that you can get dish with crappy credit.

i know were ot but, it was worse, the lowest it's been was 458. and that's with no bankrupcy even. Gotta love ex-wives!! better off, offing 'em I swear!

No slam intended, but to only have a 650, 13 years after the bankruptcy does indicate other creditworthy issues.

This is not necessarily true. The will give you a low score if you do not have credit, or if it is more than a couple of years old. I have not used credit cards in more than 15 years, I use debit card or pay cash. I did take out a four year car loan in 2000, paid it off in three years (2003), last year I used my free credit report to see what it said and was given a rating of 620 and told it was because of no recent credit history (my car loan was considered to old to count) so if you try to do things the right way and not owe anyone, then you get dinged also:confused:

The bankruptcy may have nothing to do with it. Dish may of had their credit criteria set higher than 650.

No one knows exactly where the low end of the credit limit is. Also if you have been doing sales for a while with Dish go back and compare your approvals from the beginning of the month compared to the end of the month. I think you may see a little trend.;)

Dish Network has their own way of looking at the credit deal.. Not always at the score. They look at disposable income ie. how you pay your non essential stuff.. DirecTV seems to go strictly off the credit score which by the way is higher than Dish. Dish just has a weird way of doing the qualifying.

I have a Credit score of 602 and had no problem getting Dishnetwork(although I had to call a couple times and talk to different CSRs),and yes I use a debit card .I think it depends alot of times on the CSRs whether they will push you thru .I know this because less than a month before being approved for service with Dish ,I tried to get service and they wouldnt do it.Nothing on my Credit changed in a month.so who knows what their Criteria is.

Seems to me since some seem to be getting involved in changing things, time to revamp the credit system with the big 3 being as from what I'm seeing here people who choose to with cash get lower scores...

Cash is good thing. :)

I know MY DISH NOW(Business dealings and stuff aside) will sign up almost anybody...My credit sucks but got signed up, everything free, and it was real easy...also never got my free items.

Seems to me since some seem to be getting involved in changing things, time to revamp the credit system with the big 3 being as from what I'm seeing here people who choose to with cash get lower scores...

Cash is good thing. :)

Cash may seem nice, but it doesn't demonstrate credit worthiness, which is what the 3 agencies determine with their credit score. If you've been living on cash as you go, then how are the credit bureaus supposed to determine what you will do if you add a required payment debt to your lifestyle. A simple way for a cash paying person to raise their credit score is to get one credit card and use it for some normal required purchases (e.g., all food at the supermarket), then be sure to pay it off in full each month on time.

Regarding the value of a 650 credit score, my wife tells me that her credit union assigns a score of 640 to someone with no credit history (e.g., an 18 year old signing up for the first time at the credit union). So a score of 650 isn't anything to be proud of for middle aged adult. She tells me a 650 score will almost double the interest rate on a car loan compared to those in the highest credit grouping.

Given the current economic conditions in this country, which were in great part a result of extending credit to those who couldn't pay back the loans (i.e., sub-prime lending to the extreme), it is not surprising that businesses are getting tougher on credit checks and credit worthiness

This is not necessarily true. The will give you a low score if you do not have credit, or if it is more than a couple of years old. I have not used credit cards in more than 15 years, I use debit card or pay cash. I did take out a four year car loan in 2000, paid it off in three years (2003), last year I used my free credit report to see what it said and was given a rating of 620 and told it was because of no recent credit history (my car loan was considered to old to count) so if you try to do things the right way and not owe anyone, then you get dinged also:confused:

That's right John. I forgot about that. If you don't use credit, you won't have a good score.

Last edited:
My scores have tanked because of all the moving I've done in the last couple of years. Also paying off a few cards you would think would increase your score but no it reduced my score. My lowest score is still 738 but man I loved having car dealers etc see the rare 800 score. I would always get 0%, no money down and no proof of income required loan for 3 years. Only a loan three years and under at the time got zero interest. Hey I almost have my car paid off yay.

My scores have tanked because of all the moving I've done in the last couple of years. Also paying off a few cards you would think would increase your score but no it reduced my score. My lowest score is still 738 but man I loved having car dealers etc see the rare 800 score. I would always get 0%, no money down and no proof of income required loan for 3 years. Only a loan three years and under at the time got zero interest. Hey I almost have my car paid off yay.

Paying off cards should make your score go up. If you had the accounts closed out after you paid them off, then that can make your score go down. This is especially true if they were cards that you'd had for a long time, or if closing them out caused you to be using up more than a certain percentage of all of your available lines of credit. The general rule of thumb used to be that you shouldn't be using more than 50% of your available credit, but since all this craziness with the economy has been going on I've seen some places starting to say 30% instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts