DishNetwork Distribution from 19in Rack to Locations In House?

OzarkChronicles

Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
House Springs, MO
Hello Everyone.

I am putting in a 26u Rack (Wall-Mounted / Swing Out Style) in my basement. In addition to the computer / NAS / Networking equipment I am putting in the rack, I am hoping to make this the main distribution point for all Coax runs and Phone runs in the house as well.

I am completely new to the Satellite systems (in the interest of full disclosure). I will eventually be putting televisions (and recievers?) in at least two additional rooms. BUT I would like the ability to have up to 5 rooms w/ TV's. disributed from my rack.

In my mind, I am envisioning a 19in rack-mount multiswitch (Do i need a multi-switch for every reciever?), with the inputs on the rear of the panel and the outputs on the front of the panel. I would also have a patch panel with barrel connectors and would terminate each of my coax runs to a spot on the patch panel. I then would use a small coax patch cable to go between the two.

Would the above even work, or is there something that would, or am I smoking crack?

I am also looking for a way to addd an OTA Antenna into the mix above. Any and all help is appreciated. I am willing to post photos of the process and end product.

Thanks,
Matt Tucker

======================
Current Sattellite Set-Up:

Programming = Dish Basic Programming + Dish HD Channels
DishNetwork Dish = DishNetwork Plus
Reciever = DishNetwork VIP622 DVR

VideoPath Multi-Dish Switch (Model DP44)
DP Plus Video Path Power Inserter (Model DP44)

Primary Television = Samsung 42" Plasma*
*Currently Only Television in House
*No Supplemental Antenna Hooked Up to television
======================

I have 4 HD/DVR's mounted in an equipment closet. Individual HDMI or Component cables run to 4 HDTV's and all 4 receivers also input into modulators feeding to all 5 TV's allowing me to see any receiver from any TV by simply changing Channels.. So can it be done.. YES.. Is it economically feasible.. Well... I did it.. But for the average user I would say don't do it. For the tech Savy, it's a piece of cake.. Depending on the Dish you are using, you would need 3 or 4 RG-6 cables coming to your rack from the dish, then either DP34 or DPP44 switches mounted at your rack.. A DP 34 switch can handle 4 tuners or the DPP44 can handle 4 dual tuners. If that isn't enough you can add additional switches stacked to the first one. Standard RG-6 cable from your rack to each TV will work for Standard Def TV's but if you want HiDef you are going to have to run either a 5 wire component cable to each HD TV, or an HDMI Cable to each TV from the receivers.. If you are a novice as you say, I would suggest getting a professional to do this for you.. OR just get Dish to hook you up with the standard type install.

Edit.. OTA.. I have an OTA in the attic with a splitter at the rack that feeds it to the HD/DVRs so I integrate it into my receivers, and also have a feed going into my cable so that each TV can also be switched to Local TV if I need to due to weather outages.. I also have an amplifier on my cable feeds off my modulators that insures I get a quality feed on each TV.

2nd edit.. 2 of my receivers also feed to my Onkyo Amplifier. My DVD Player is also in the closet hooked to the Onkyo Amplifier. The Onkyo feeds my 120 in projection system in my theater room for the HD Picture and Dolby Digital Surround.

The key here is if you can imagine it, then it can be done.. And compared to some of the people I have seen here on this board, mine is a simple setup.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Although the notion of keeping the recievers in the rack, is appealing -- running all the HDMI Cable from my rack to the rooms doesn't sound appealling (in terms of cost to me). And the rack is really going to be a place to centralize wiring and not equipment so much.

My end goal is to have a reciever in each room with the TV. In reading your response, I guess I am looking for something to act as a rack-mount DP44 or DP33 with the inputs on the rear of the rack mount panel and the outputs on the front of the panel.

--Matt Tucker

I'm not aware of any rack mount DISH switches. However, you might be able to create a custom enclosure cabinet by taking some painted aluminum and having it bent to the exact dimensions to fit in the rack and have the rear of the cabinet tapped with 3/8" holes where the DPP44 outputs can be mounted through those holes and tightened against the cabinet with barrel nuts. You can probably get two DPP44 switches in a 19" wide space. For the inputs on the DPP44, you can probably mount a quad ground block to the rear of the cabinet with the barrels on one end sticking out the rear between the two switches. Then just run the wires inside the enclosure from the ground block to the first DPP44 switch and then to the second. This enclosure will provide support up to 8 dual tuners (16 total tuners). I would also suggest making the top of the enclosure removable with a screw in each corner. For a real professional look, have a company that can bend aviation metal to specs make the enclosure for you. Look for machine shops near a smaller airport in your area.

If you're really gung-ho about this, you could even put the power inserters and power supplies in a separate enclosure so you can just jump the cables from one enclosure to the other for port 1 inputs on the DPP44 switches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)