Dishnetwork HD

eric0781

Original poster
May 4, 2007
Central Texas
:D Hello all, firstimer here with a few questions. I currently have the dish 500 system with one TV that is HD. I do subscribe to the HD channels that are available on sats 110 and 119. Question, in order to get all HD that is offered, can I simply setup another dish and Lnb and point it to the new satellite? I assume it is the one at the 129 position? What switch do I need in order to tap into the cableing that feeds the one TV. Can I hookup downstream from the old satellite that provides the 110 and 119 feeds? Is there a special LNB that will "see" the 129 bird? Thanks for the input!

The answer depends on the LNB that you have on your Dish 500, and the type of receive you have.

If you have a DPP Twin on your Dish 500, than you can add another Dish 500 with a DP Dual pointed at 129 or 61.5 and connect it to the input port on the DPP Twin.

If you have a DP Twin or DP Quad, you'll need to use a DP34 or DPP44 switch. What receiver do you have?

If you're subscribing to these channels, you should be able to just call Dish and have them install the necessary equipment to view them.

I have the model 6000.Yes I do have a quad LNB but only view HD on one TV. If I understand correctly, the Quad LNB joins the two signals(110&119) together for the programming that I currently have.Can I connect the additional dish to my configuration via the switch at the point where my sat. cables connect to my house? And only to the one cable (rg6) that is going to my one TV that is HD capable?

Check out the following article.

I think its the most comprehensive article about adding a dish for 61.5° or 129° there is. It is about a year old, but I am pretty sure it covers all the bases.

We can help you here with any specific questions.

However BEROFE YOU INSTALL THE DISH, make sure you are picking the correct location. 61.5° and 129° has all the same NATIONAL HD channels, but the locals, sports RSNs and other channels available are different.
See contents of the 61.5° bird HERE or HERE
See contents of the 129° bird HERE

Well, since Austin is not available in HD yet... :)

I am not sure if that will be at 129°, 110°, or 118° but I can pretty much guarantee it will not be at 61.5°. You will definitely need to point a dish at 129° for most HD channels. Or at least a Dish 1000. If the HD locals end up at 118° you will need to upgrade to a plus dish (Dish 500+ or Dish 1000+)

See ya
Tony

Thanks all for the replies...I called Dishnetwork and was told that My "old" 6000 series HD receiver would not even work with the latest programming.So I guess that does it for the do-it-yourselfers.... Anyway this is a great web site and I plan to use it in the future....thanks to all again!

I have the model 6000.Yes I do have a quad LNB but only view HD on one TV. If I understand correctly, the Quad LNB joins the two signals(110&119) together for the programming that I currently have.Can I connect the additional dish to my configuration via the switch at the point where my sat. cables connect to my house? And only to the one cable (rg6) that is going to my one TV that is HD capable?

Your receiver is outdated. You need a Vip receiver to get the mpeg4 HD channels as well as your local HD once they come available. You will need to upgrade the receiver, the install should take care of the needed dish as well.

Hi. I have never asked before. I signed up awhile back. I see, from time to time, what you guys have mentioned about this or that. Never thought I would be this close to actually getting a nice HD TV. So never bothered to say anything. But..... Now I am in a need to know situation, & need your advice & knowledge. I tried to search for what I need. But didn't find anything. I have a dish 500 & an echo star DP 301. I have the "all channels" PKG. Now I am worried that I have to have another dish to get everything there is to offer on HD. The last time I looked on the site, I only needed a second 500 dish to get the HD channels, & possibly a OTA antenna for a few. Now I am afraid I will need a dish 1000 & another receiver? I guess I'll have to say, I am actually, a "off the house" bedroom, that I am sharing w/a relative. Another words, I pay the main house for reception, & really do not belong to it. So, what I have, dish-receiver, belong to me. So in order to have HD, I can't not subscribe. So can you please tell me what I have to have to get what I get now-& be able to have HDTV for a new TV I will be getting? I sure hope this isn't to hard to read. I am new at doing this. And sure hope nobody get s mad at what I've said. Can you please give me some advise? I know the main house is about to go HDTV w/a new PIP box, which lets me out of the game! Thank you for the help in advance, if there is any..

Are you account stacking? Two households with one account? You split the bill? Or are you in the same house, just living with a relative and splitting the bill?

To get HD Pack you need:

-- a dish pointed at 129° OR 61.5.
A Dish 1000 or 1000.2 gets 110/119 (like the Dish 500) PLUS 129.
Or you can keep your dish 500 and add a dish 300 (or 500) to see 129 OR 61.5.

-- a VIP receiver which at this moment are limited to the fabulous 622 dual tuner DVR with single Over the Air digital TV tuner, and the 211 non-DVR receiver with OTA digital tuner.

See ya
Tony

I am not sure what the rules are. But it does not sound like he has a separate address. But I can't really follow what his living arrangement is.