dishnetwork just called me

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kevingilmore

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
So I got a phonecall from a dish network csr desperately trying to get me
to upgrade my 942 to a leased 622. I told him i paid $700 for it 9 months ago
and there was no way this was going to happen. He was willing to go all
the way down to a direct swap (i.e. 0 dollars) but the new receiver would
be leased. I told him that there was absolutely no way that was going to
happen and at a minimum i would wait till they had the promotion for people
that wanted to own a 622. He said that was 30 to 60 days away.

He still continued to push all the new HD channels including chicago locals.
I informed him i already got CBS HD, and everything else came in perfectly
via OTA, he did not want to hear that either. He especially did not want to
hear me complain that PBS HD (wttw) was not on the list of chicago HD
locals.

I told him i would be happy to send him my old 6000u back in trade for
a leased 622, he wanted no part of that either.

I think that dish has filled up the supply channel and is looking to bump
as many people up to the next HD package.

Too many people got burned on the 942 and it is my guess that dish
is going to have to do something soon.

I really don't blame you. You just recently got your 942. Purchased it, no less!! And as the CSR hinted at, I suspect there are going to be some better (perhaps good??) deals coming down the pike for people who actually own their 942's

I'm very surprised that Dish would be calling anyone up at this point in time, the 4th day of the 942 for 622 swap promotion, and working them to take the upgrade.

I know they want to rid the USA of non-MPEG4 HD receivers, but didn't expect them to get real serious about until late 2006.

I got a similar call tonight. I declined the offer and explained that I just recently purchased my 942 and was very happy with it and that the few new HD channels were not that appealing to me at this time and there was no way I was going to return my owned 942 for a leased 622. He said he understood and thanked me for being a Dish Network customer.

Interesting...I was looking at our caller id log and it appears that Dish Network tried to call us as well. Wonder if it was for the same reason - to swap our owned 942 for the new 622...

On second thought, if they are only going after those who own a 942, then it makes sense. After all, even a no-cost "upgrade" to a leased 622 is still a good deal for Dish. They are taking a receiver that is worth $400-$500 and giving you a free leased 622, which they have only valued at $99. After all, they are giving a $200 credit if someone trades in a leased 942, so the offer is only $99 better than the one for a leased 942.

Dish stands to make a nice penny off a deal where they exchange a 622 which they still own, along with an 18 month commitment, for a 942 that they can resell. I assume they would still hit you with the $6 monthly lease fee.

But, it isn't a really terrible ripoff, so I could see someone going for it because it is such an easy way to get a 622. If someone doesn't want to try to sell their 942 on eBay, this may be attractive.

Hmmm...they actually offered to drop the $299?

I believe I'd get that in writing, in triplicate, notarized, have my attorney present to witness, have a blood sample from Charlie himself AND get it all faxed on green paper, BEFORE I agreed to it.

I've got a leased 942 that I obtained in October of last year. After having it for only six months and having to pay the $299 up front, I'm not prepared to invest another dime. Evidently, they called while we were out this evening. I hope they're not asking me to swap anytime soon.

Dish seems to be trying to grab every penny possible. Since the Expressvu 9200 is a rebadged 942 they probably want them back for free to sell to BEV so they can start to depreciate their assets in terms of the 622 and reap the tax benefits.

"Dish seems to be trying to grab every penny possible."

No kidding! Soon they will charge us the "change the channel" fee. I can just see it: "In order for you to view a different channel, we will charge you a change the channel access fee".

RandallA said:
"Dish seems to be trying to grab every penny possible."

No kidding! Soon they will charge us the "change the channel" fee. I can just see it: "In order for you to view a different channel, we will charge you a change the channel access fee".
Don't forget the Viewing Fee required to enable the power button on each receiver...:D

ir0nw0lf said:
Or replace the power button(s) altogether and put either a credit card or a dollar bill reader in its place. :D

I can hear it now. "Honey?!!!, Do you have change for a 20? I want to watch the 6 o' clock news." :D

Stew said:
I've got a leased 942 that I obtained in October of last year. After having it for only six months and having to pay the $299 up front, I'm not prepared to invest another dime. Evidently, they called while we were out this evening. I hope they're not asking me to swap anytime soon.

I have a leased 942. If they called me to offer a free upgrade to a 622, I'd jump on it.

Now if I owned my 942 and the free 622 was a lease, I'd turn that down. After all, I could sell my 942 for $450-$500 and then buy the $299 622 lease and come out $150-$200 ahead of the "free swap" offer.

Tom Bombadil said:
I have a leased 942. If they called me to offer a free upgrade to a 622, I'd jump on it.

Now if I owned my 942 and the free 622 was a lease, I'd turn that down. After all, I could sell my 942 for $450-$500 and then buy the $299 622 lease and come out $150-$200 ahead of the "free swap" offer.

Yes, you got the answer! If I will you, I will sell it now and get a 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)