dishnetwork just called me

Tom Bombadil said:
I have a leased 942. If they called me to offer a free upgrade to a 622, I'd jump on it.

Honestly, after witnessing the flaky sound on my brother's 622, I'm not sure I'd even take a FREE swap from my 942 yet. I havent seen enough content I'd enjoy on the new HD channels to make it worth giving up my fairly-stable 942 (not to mention adding extra $$$ for the metallic packs)

I bought my 942 last summer. They haven't called me, but if they do, I will turn down that offer. I have considered doing the upgrade from a leased 811 to a 622 for $299. That seems more reasonable. However, the 18 month commitment, and the lack of compelling content (to me) on the new HD channels is going to keep me with my old HD package for now. I really want a second DVR to put with the bedroom LCD TV. Am I the only one who thinks 25 hours of DVR recording time just isn't enough? :)

I'd jump on it because my 942 has been flaky from Day 1. In a good week, I have to run 9-10 check switches and do two EPG downloads. I had to off the automatic update because it wiped out my timers every single time. The manually-forced updates leave the timers intact.

The DD audio output is screwy too. My A/V receiver cannot detect when the audio changes from DD to stereo, so I have to manually switch my receiver's audio mode whenever I switch to a stereo channel. The same A/V receiver worked fine with my 4900, 7100, and 510 receivers, as well as my DVD player.

You people are funny and know little about the dynamics of this business. Dish is giving away these DVRs dirt cheap and you think you are being ripped off. You call thier customer retention department multiple times. How much do you think those calls cost Dish? Let's say $45 each. At 3-5 calls they have chewed up all the profit they make off you in a year. Yet you whine and whine about the "pretty penny" they make off of you. In truth you are bad customers and are worth less than you think

gbjbany said:
:welcome omeletpants.
I can see your posts are going to keep us all entertained. :D :hungry:

Hi! I'm not rying to be controversial, but I do get sick of the baseless claims that someone is ripping you off everytime they don't give you something for free AND apologize for it. Receivers aren't free and cost more than $200 to produce. 6 months of "free" HBO isn't free and Dish pays for it. You can't expect free receiver, free programming and sucking up their time and money on endless calls to customer retention and expect a good products to result.

I believe Dish is calling people who called for the 622 upgrade but decided not to take it. They are trying to find out why you didn't take it and what if anything they can do to improve the customer experiance.

They are not even calling to try talking you into a 622.

If they do call you please give them your honest opinions and thoughts on how things went, they really are trying to fix things.

omeletpants said:
You people are funny and know little about the dynamics of this business. Dish is giving away these DVRs dirt cheap and you think you are being ripped off. You call thier customer retention department multiple times. How much do you think those calls cost Dish? Let's say $45 each. At 3-5 calls they have chewed up all the profit they make off you in a year. Yet you whine and whine about the "pretty penny" they make off of you. In truth you are bad customers and are worth less than you think
EchoStar (Dish Network) just make the Fortune 500 list of Fastest Growing Companies (growth in profits). They were #3 on the list with a 600% growth in earnings per share. People can say what they want about Charlie (many are true), but the guy knows how to run a profitable business. I wouldn't worry about calling Dish Network...we ARE their BEST customers and WE, the ones who hold them accountable for proving value and qualities services, are worth our weight in gold to EchoStar's head shed...hell, we should be paid consulting fees!:up

Honestly, as a businessman would you want your customers to keep quiet when they are dissatisfied with your services only to quit and sign up with another provider? If my company or employees are doing something wrong, I would certainly want to know.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/performers/companies/growth_in_profits/1yr.html

Last edited:
Tom Bombadil said:
I have a leased 942. If they called me to offer a free upgrade to a 622, I'd jump on it.

Now if I owned my 942 and the free 622 was a lease, I'd turn that down. After all, I could sell my 942 for $450-$500 and then buy the $299 622 lease and come out $150-$200 ahead of the "free swap" offer.

Bingo Tom! This is the answer for 942 owners. However, although I lease my 942 like you, I've decided to stand pat and stick with my leased 942. The only reason I would go to a 622 (at least until MPEG2 is completely phased out by Dish) is if they offered distant nets (NY in particular) in HD. I can't subscribe to local HD LA nets right now (via a 622 upgrade) because I'll lose my distant net grandfather status.

omeletpants said:
Hi! I'm not rying to be controversial, but I do get sick of the baseless claims that someone is ripping you off everytime they don't give you something for free AND apologize for it. Receivers aren't free and cost more than $200 to produce. 6 months of "free" HBO isn't free and Dish pays for it. You can't expect free receiver, free programming and sucking up their time and money on endless calls to customer retention and expect a good products to result.

What some folks are upset about is they paid $1,000 for a reciever which they are now trading in for a $200 credit and they wont even own the unit and they will also be paying a lease fee.

I think these folks do have a point. :)

As I have said if you are one of these people to WAIT for a bit because I hear dish is working on a program where you can trade in and own your receiver. Dish IS listening. :D

Really ??

omeletpants said:
...6 months of "free" HBO isn't free and Dish pays for it....
Really ?? That's like saying the government is paying for welfare...!

Last I checked E* is making a profit...

omeletpants said:

Which part is baseless? That I dropped over $900 for my 942 and second dish install last summer? That they are offering to give me a $200 credit (which is not the same as a $200 rebate) for something I own that I paid $700+ dollars for less than a year ago? That they are offering to replace it with a leased machine, for which I will pay additional lease fees that I am not paying now. and own nothing, all in order to have a machine that has the same basic functionality as my current machine, although it will have the capability to receive additional channels (for additional cost)? That in addition to losing 100's of dollars on that deal, paying additional fees, having to pay a higher programming cost (some of that programming Dish promised to bring to us last year to get us to subscribe to Voom channels), I will have an 18 month commitment so I could enjoy that screwy deal over a longer period of time?

If you were paying attention to the thread, it was based on the practice that Dish is currently using of calling subs, not subs calling Dish. Nobody mentioned HBO, free or otherwise. BTW, number of calls to Dish since I bought my 942... zero. Amount of monthly bill... around $80. Level of expectation of a good product and good service... very high. Number of baseless claims... none!

Scott Greczkowski said:
As I have said if you are one of these people to WAIT for a bit because I hear dish is working on a program where you can trade in and own your receiver. Dish IS listening. :D

Just got a call from E* eggs-zecutive offices. I was offered a lease deal to upgrade both my 921 and 942 at $99 per. Told the nice fellow, "Thanks, but no thanks, I'm getting quite used to having only OTA HD and a $60 E* bill." I also said I'd only be interested in a ownership deal, one that was fair to folks who had recently purchased their receivers.

I was told to wait until May. He said E* will sell you a 622 for the low-low price of $799, then give you a $200 rebate for your 921 or 942. Such a deal!

They ain't listening hard enough.

Better TeeVee for all--that is if you we sly enough to sell your 942 to some other sucker before the word hit the streets.

Got a call yesterday from retention letting me know that I could get a 622 for $299.00. Told them to call me back in 2 years when my contract for D* with HD Tivo and TWO OTA tuners expires.

mikew said:
Got a call yesterday from retention letting me know that I could get a 622 for $299.00. Told them to call me back in 2 years when my contract for D* with HD Tivo and TWO OTA tuners expires.
Perfect timing...two years is about how long it takes the HD Tivo to change channels. You can change channels and get rid of HD-Lite at the same time.:rolleyes:

KeithInDallas said:
Which part is baseless? That I dropped over $900 for my 942 and second dish install last summer?

Get over it. I was one of Dish's first customers years ago and paid $1600 for my system. After 10 years my receiver crapped out and Dish wanted to charge me $400 for something they were giving away for free to new customers. I moved to DTV.

When you are an early adopter you always pay more for technology. That's your choise and stop blaming the company

there is no guarentee of a cheap or free upgrade path on anything

Just because a company is making money is no reason to invoke the "deep pockets" theory.

If you don't like their policies then switch and quit whinning

omeletpants said:
Get over it. I was one of Dish's first customers years ago and paid $1600 for my system. After 10 years my receiver crapped out and Dish wanted to charge me $400 for something they were giving away for free to new customers. I moved to DTV.

When you are an early adopter you always pay more for technology. That's your choise and stop blaming the company

Just because a company is making money is no reason to invoke the "deep pockets" theory.

Dude What attitude you have.:confused: :confused:
Just because you accept everything from a Co. who just a couple Month's ago told costumers that the 942 it was upgradable to MPEG 4 and people in that assestment
spent $700.00 And for them knew a couple weeks after that investment the real truth about that,I don't think they have the right to complaint and also the right to SUE this Co,Who use very cheap tactics to make profit.If were so happy with the treatment why you left E* in the first place?If you don't want to use your right to demand fair business policies ,don't try to undermine people who do.;)

Last edited:
DIsh called me Thursday.

Wanted to give me this special deal only avl. to people in Nebraska.

HBO and Cinemax for $20 a Month.

Which of course is regular price avl. to everyone.

I said put me on your do not call list, what a waist of time.

omeletpants said:

Ya dude. Keep on drinking the E* Kool-Aid. :cool:

Here's a FACT. They DELIBERATELY WITH MALICE AND FORETHOUGHT destroyed the resale market for our 921 & 942 receivers by deciding to not activate them for HD purposes on new accounts. :mad:

Oh - and as for the free trial of HBO or other movie channels (not that that is relevant to this thread) - it costs E* NOTHING. These deals are worked out with the package provider and THEY allow it - and it doesn't cost THEM any money either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)