dishnetwork stupid rules

Having been involved in closing out a few dead relatives matters, I wish that ALL entities and institutions were only as easy as dish is presenting to the OP. Dish requirements are EZPZ. Uh, isn't this what death certificates are for? Whether we like it or not the requirement of social security number has been abused for many many decades and unfortunately is now among the most common required pieces of personal information, even though it should not be. You can swim against the current all you want, but you won't get anywhere until you go with the flow. It's their world, not ours, and you are SOL if you don't play by their rules. They own the band who play the tunes to which we must dance.

The matter with Dish is really a much easier situation to resolve, and the OP simply makes it worse for himself by getting all worked up over it. This is the type of situation when women think smarter than men who make big deals out of nothing. A woman would say, "give them the two lousy pieces of information they want and be done with it and move on. We don't have time or energy for more drama. Let's end this."

There is no need for anyone to make the process of clearing up a deceased person's loose ends more cumbersome then it already is. Dish's requirements seem reasonable considering the Financial Risk they take in that we may not return their valuable equipment or that we may not pay past charges due. of course, they are not going to release one of the individuals named on the bill from that financial responsibility without sufficient proof for their records. There are much much bigger complicated PITA problems tying up the Loose Ends of a deceased individual then Dish's meager requirements.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormy_2021
I think you'll find that death certificates today include the social security number so once you pass along the certificate you've already covered that second base.

Reactions: charlesrshell
One day when you grow up and find that you are in need of a death certificate to close out someone's life you will understand. Then you have the fun of actually paying through the nose for said certificates....
I have been executor to two estates and understand death certificates and their costs. If you think the costs are exorbitant then you need a better job. In fact, the costs of those certificates should be charged back against the estate of the deceased. Stop whining

I have been executor to two estates and understand death certificates and their costs. If you think the costs are exorbitant then you need a better job. In fact, the costs of those certificates should be charged back against the estate of the deceased. Stop whining
With Bobby being an octogenarian(I think I got it right Bobby), I think he has in fact grown up, and I take his life advise very seriously.

First of all I’m sorry about the loss of your wife.

As far as I’m aware, you can only have 1 name on the account.

If it’s her name only, chances sending in the death certificate will close the account with no way to reopen it.

I had Directv do that to one of my customers. He called me up all pissed off they shut his service off.

No problem, an hour later I was there with all new equipment, new 2 year agreement.

Customer got all the new customer discounts, and I made like $500 signing him up again as a new account.

All he wanted to do was change the name on the account. We both laughed after I dropped off the new equipment as I was able to turn a bad situation into a good situation for everyone.

And the customer would have been perfectly happy to continue the old account. It was Directv who made him cancel it and sign up under his name

Reactions: TheKrell
If it was me, honestly just keep on paying the bill. They will gladly keep cashing your checks.

If you decide later on you don’t want dish and it’s in her name, then send in the death certificate to get out of the contract.

If your happy with the service, leave it alone.

My neighbor died in 1992, her niece moved in shortly after and died in 2012. The AT&T telephone land line was still in the lady who died in 1992 as of 2014.

We only cancelled it because her husband was tired of paying $70/mo for a regular phone

I apologize. I thought you had given an age with the numbers 4 and 8 in it previously. Either way, one thing I know, you have definitely(easily in your case) earned my trust. Much wiser man than I.

Reactions: Bobby and HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts