DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 4/9/2008 1:00pm - 178 changes

Ok sorry, in most markets Dish does not carry CW HD, especially not in smaller markets.

Sorry, but that article actually supports what Jason said: Of those surveyed who have an HDTV, 56% subscribe to an HD service.
If you read other articles, and posts in this thread, you'll find that many people subscribe to HD services on cable, and still don't understand it. Quote from the commercial: " 1080i - I don't know what it is, but I want it ! "

I went into a sports bar that advertised sports in HD. The game was on ESPN. One of the big HD screens was showing ESPN... the SD channel. I had to get one of the staff to tune to ESPN-HD by giving them the channel number...

This was uplinked last month:
5068 - KHCW [MPEG4 HD] added to Echostar12 61.5 TP 13 Spotbeam 3? (Not Available)

That is the CW Houston Affliate.

Yes, it shows uplinked and not available, that means the CW is NOT available. That was the question, does E* carry the CW in HD and I haven't see where it's show as being available.

They actually fired up the old DSS bird at 72.5 already? I thought they were waiting for Nimiq 4 to make it up first? Interesting... that footprint will suck badly. I don't see how that clunker can hit canada and the us plus hawaii, alaska and the carribean at once....

Yes, it shows uplinked and not available, that means the CW is NOT available. That was the question, does E* carry the CW in HD and I haven't see where it's show as being available.

Right, and my question is why? Is it the same rigamorale as why we don't have new national HD? Some contract mumbo jumbo, or some deep seeded hatred of "Supernatural" and "Reaper."

My theory is they wanted to launch a set number of LILs first. It is also that they wont do both LILs and Nationals on the same uplink day.

Based on what we've been told it seems very liekly we'll see scifi and usa next week. I'm hoping with the delay we may see something else as well.

But in the end, I'm just a fool and I know nothing. Just my own thinking. :)
Au Contraire, Mon Frere!

I think your thinking is right on.

It would be a shrewd move to do one group of updates and see the call volume it generates so if something has gone horribly wrong they will only piss off a segment of their subscriber base. Then after a decent interval if everything is copacetic do another batch.

signed,
A greater fool who knows even less

Right, and my question is why? Is it the same rigamorale as why we don't have new national HD? Some contract mumbo jumbo, or some deep seeded hatred of "Supernatural" and "Reaper."

Dish is having a hard enough time rolling out the big 4 in HD to ALL the local markets, I think that local CW HD channels are not even on their radar right now, (with a few exceptions, WGN HD to eastern arc apparently, and Houston maybe).

Spotbeam Question

6483(9) - WSOC [MPEG4 HD] added to Echostar12 61.5 TP 11 Area 7 beam (Not Available)(Charlotte, NC)
6484(3) - WBTV [MPEG4 HD] added to Echostar12 61.5 TP 11 Area 7 beam (Not Available)(Charlotte, NC)
6485(36) - WCNC [MPEG4 HD] added to Echostar12 61.5 TP 11 Area 7 beam (Not Available)(Charlotte, NC)
6486(18) - WCCB [MPEG4 HD] added to Echostar12 61.5 TP 11 Area 7 beam (Not Available)(Charlotte, NC)

I live in the middle of the Charlotte DMA. I know it says not available, but should I not see a signal on TP 11. I show zero. I have a clear shot at 61.5 and strong signals on the TP I do get. I have looked at a couple fo spotbeam maps of 61.5 and it shoes Area 7 as being in TX or something.

6483(9) - WSOC [MPEG4 HD] added to Echostar12 61.5 TP 11 Area 7 beam (Not Available)(Charlotte, NC)
6484(3) - WBTV [MPEG4 HD] added to Echostar12 61.5 TP 11 Area 7 beam (Not Available)(Charlotte, NC)
6485(36) - WCNC [MPEG4 HD] added to Echostar12 61.5 TP 11 Area 7 beam (Not Available)(Charlotte, NC)
6486(18) - WCCB [MPEG4 HD] added to Echostar12 61.5 TP 11 Area 7 beam (Not Available)(Charlotte, NC)

I live in the middle of the Charlotte DMA. I know it says not available, but should I not see a signal on TP 11. I show zero. I have a clear shot at 61.5 and strong signals on the TP I do get. I have looked at a couple of spotbeam maps of 61.5 and it shows Area 7 as being in TX or something.

Spelling errors corrected. Sorry

i wish they could just use a national feed for the big 4/5 networks so there wouldnt be any redundancy on the sats. 7:00pm - 10pm weekdays are the only time local networks have HD and when they do they all show the same content the locals in any other city is showing, why waste all that bandwidth. With a nantional feed you wouldn't have to worry about 'markets'. the only advantage of having each market is for local news, but most local stations don't have HD capability. as far as i'm concerned they should use a national HD feed to suplement the local SD feeds

i wish they could just use a national feed for the big 4/5 networks so there wouldnt be any redundancy on the sats. 7:00pm - 10pm weekdays are the only time local networks have HD and when they do they all show the same content the locals in any other city is showing, why waste all that bandwidth. With a nantional feed you wouldn't have to worry about 'markets'. the only advantage of having each market is for local news, but most local stations don't have HD capability. as far as i'm concerned they should use a national HD feed to suplement the local SD feeds

They don't show the same content, the commercials that the network affiliates sell are not and that's a source of revenue for the stations that would be lost. There's also the local weather warning crawls that wouldn't be possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)