DishOnline won't stay online (VIP622)

jdr01930

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2005
Gloucester, MA
DishOnline won't stay online (VIP622 Broadband problem)

I finally got around to plugging my 622 into my router to check out Dish Online.
I'm using a cable modem (Comcast) and a Linksys WRV200 router with latest firmware ( 1.0.39).

The VIP622 gets an IP address, I can get a list of stuff from the Dish Online menu sometimes, but then after a few minutes I get message about needing a broad band connection and I can't get the lists anymore.

Broadband Setup shows the IP address previously acquired (which I can still ping from my PC) but the status shows "Not Connected". If I do the Reset Connection option, sometimes it will go back on line and work again for a bit, but then the same thing happens. Regardless of whether the 622 says Connected-online or Not Connected, I can ping the address (unless I unplug the cable - then the address is dead so I know it's not an IP addr conflict)

If I do get a list and try download something, it just says something like processing request and doesn't really seem to do anything.

Router is showing a valid DHCP lease for the VIP622 and I can ping it, but I guess it seems to be having trouble communicating. Other PC connected to the router is fine, and I have tested the cable (I'm a computer tech by trade).

I've rebooted the router and the 622, no change.
Tried a different port on the router, no change.
NIC on the 622 has a solid green light, and blinking orange light.

Anything quirky on the 622 I need to be aware of, or any special settings I need to have (or not have) on the router? I do have QOS enabled for Vonage (separate VLAN), but before I start messing with random stuff figured I'd check here and see if anyone has any ideas....

Any idea what's going on? (Edit - VIP622 is running version L613)

Update - I was able to get a show to start downloading, but it keeps going to Disconnected status on the 622. If I unplug/replug network cable and/or Reset Connection, it downloads a bit, then dies again until I unplug/reset. Eventually it got through and whole show did download.

Speed on the download shows as around 1 Mb/s when it's working. Seems kinda slow - speedtest.net just show the comcast connection at 12000kb/s so there shouldn't be a bottle neck there.

Last edited:
So I guess I'm not the only one having problems!

check the nat on your router or put your 622 in the dmz on your router

Good idea - I'll try DMZ tonight and double check NAT (I think that's OK though)

Are there any known/specific ports that need to be forwarded to the 622?
(if I go DMZ with it, that question becomes irrelevant though!)

NAT and so on is no problem on my system. I've a slower service, so downloading a full movie took 12 hours, but no resets or disconnects occured.

If it helps, I'm using a Netgear WNR854T draft 2.0 802.11n router with the latest firmware. We forum members may need to start a list of successful routers if not everyone is getting good connectivity experiences.

Just tried bypassing my router completely. Plugged the 622 directly into the cable modem.
Rebooted cable modem, Reset connection on the 622.
No disconnects, consistent speed of about 2.87Mb/s. Seems to be working fine.

Went back to connecting through the router, rebooted cable modem, Reset Connection on the 622 again so it would get a proper IP address. Tried to download another show (been testing with those little 5 minute promo things), getting no progress on the download - 0Mb/s for the last 20 minutes. Still connected and on line, just not able to download.

Haven't messed with DMZ etc yet. But now that I've seen what's available, not sure if I will bother - there didn't seem to be much on there that I'd be interested in anyway. And hey, as it is I don't get time to watch half the stuff I DVR, so another source to provide stuff I'll never get around to watching isn't really that critical - lol.

I might pursue it just out of technical curiosity - I am a geek after all. I can't help it.

With the new remote DVR programming feature coming "soon", I have renewed interest in getting this working.

Tried DMZ, no difference. Also tried putting the 622 on a different VLAN just for kicks, no go.
Any other ideas on getting this working through my Linksys WRV200 router?

I can't even get it to stay connected long enough to get a list of programs anymore.

I noticed when connecting throught the router, DNS server shows as the router itself for primary, nothing for secondary (as opposed to Comcast's outside DNS addresses that the router uses, and the 622 would use on direct connect). Doubt that would matter but I guess I could try setting my router to hand out the outside DNS's as a test. I can't imagine that would matter.

Does anyone have any new info on this? Port or DNS issues? This router has has been flawless with everything else on my network (hosting internet games, goofing around with Vonage config using QOS on a separate VLAN, wireless etc)

Fixed!!!!

Turned out to be DNS after all.
With router default (it's own IP as DNS - doing relay), no worky.
If I set DHCP on the router to hand out the outside Comcast DNS servers that the router itself is using, it works.
Switched back to default to confirm and reset connection on 622, and it did break again.

So, it looks like DNS relay in this router has issues with Dish.
Kinda strange - no problems with anything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)