Dish’s AirTV Player set-top box will combine Sling TV, Netflix, and OTA live channels

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Dish’s Sling TV website has (perhaps prematurely) unveiled a new set-top box, the AirTV Player. The device will let Sling TV subscribers stream live cable channels on their television — just like you can do right now with Sling TV on an Apple TV, Roku, or other streaming devices. But where the AirTV Player is different is that it will also integrate live, over-the-air network programming into that same interface with the help of an antenna (sold separately).

So you’ll be able to watch ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC so long as an antenna can normally pull down those channels wherever you live. It also includes Netflix support, though you’ll need a separate subscription for that. All of these programming sources get bundled together in Sling TV’s guide and user interface.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/20/14029298/dish-airtv-player-new-set-top-box-sling-netflix

Reactions: dishdude
IF you look at the channel master dvr , manufactured by Echostar, they have the Sling app included and you can dvr two ota channels at the same time. This is similar to what Sling tv is doing with the Air Tv player.

So its just a streaming player with a tuner?....If your in the boonies, again....This dont help.....for OTA or for internet speed.

Its terminology is Dish AirTV Player. I wouldn't expect it to record. If you need to record OTA you might look at TIVO...

I could be wrong, but I wonder if this thing will be DOA. People can already hook an antenna up to their TV, use a Roku or Apple TV or Fire stick for Sling and Netflix. If it has a DVR it might make it a better value. And a decent program guide. Otherwise, I just don't see the value in it.

Its terminology is Dish AirTV Player. I wouldn't expect it to record. If you need to record OTA you might look at TIVO...

The word "player" could also be construed to indicate it could "play" back recorded content. I wouldn't doubt what it is like most FTA receivers, you can add an external hard drive or memory stick and record to that (the OTA content).

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I could be wrong, but I wonder if this thing will be DOA. People can already hook an antenna up to their TV, use a Roku or Apple TV or Fire stick for Sling and Netflix. If it has a DVR it might make it a better value. And a decent program guide. Otherwise, I just don't see the value in it.

Roku and AppleTV don't have OTA tuners.

I would tend to agree, but sadly, as evidenced by all the folks begging for more and more Hopper Apps, there is a large percentage of folks totally averse to changing inputs on their TV (or unwilling/unable to learn how). They want to hit the power button, fire up a single box for everything, and go.

The word "player" could also be construed to indicate it could "play" back recorded content. I wouldn't doubt what it is like most FTA receivers, you can add an external hard drive or memory stick and record to that (the OTA content).

I'm going from old terminology. When a product said player, it played. When it said recorder, it both played and recorded. Seems pretty cut and dried to me.... It's kind of like Vizio's newest Displays. They are called displays because they don't have internal tuners. Because they don't have tuners they are not allowed to call them TVs. I think the same criteria fits with players and recorders....

I there is a large percentage of folks totally averse to changing inputs on their TV (or unwilling/unable to learn how). They want to hit the power button, fire up a single box for everything, and go.

many of us call that the WAF (Wife Approval Factor)... ignore it at your peril.

I would tend to agree, but sadly, as evidenced by all the folks begging for more and more Hopper Apps, there is a large percentage of folks totally averse to changing inputs on their TV (or unwilling/unable to learn how). They want to hit the power button, fire up a single box for everything, and go.

Did you just say all the folks as in plural? :)

Reactions: DWS44
I think its a huge factor. Diversity and options are nice, but simplicity rules.

I've always thought IPTV will look an awful lot like current cable/sat service when the dust settles. Not nearly as monolithic with a lot more choices, but aggregators like SlingTV offering Netflix/Prime/Hulu/HBO/SHO/etc options with integrated interface, billing and Gold/Silver/Bronze-like discounted bundles. Incorporating OTA makes sense.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I'm going from old terminology. When a product said player, it played. When it said recorder, it both played and recorded. Seems pretty cut and dried to me.... It's kind of like Vizio's newest Displays. They are called displays because they don't have internal tuners. Because they don't have tuners they are not allowed to call them TVs. I think the same criteria fits with players and recorders....
Yeah, I can see your point. I was just thinking about the "DishPlayer." I know where you are coming from, back in the days of VCRs and VCPs. the VCP was a "player" only. I can see how you could get that from an "Air Player"

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts