Dish's en banc request APPROVED!

Ok . I am afraid that the phrasing in the earlier posts----- and the specific reference to the dollar amount led me to believe that what was being discussed was the $104 million.

My bad.

I've asked him. Scott has asked him. He's never answered. Not even a denial. The closest thing was "This isn't about me". I think most people would have responded with something along the lines of "Yeah right. you're nuts". But not a peep out of "Thomas".

And Geronimo-

You all are wasting your time with him. He hasn't stated anything that someone with a considerable amount of free time can't find as public information OR, his own biased opinion, which everyone of us have in the matter. The game he plays is that of let people think what they want about him which is: I will neither confirm nor deny what they believe.

While, companies have in the past floated rumors and leaks, they normally do so with a one shot release to major press outlets. He persists here in argumentative fashion and that is highly unusual for any employee or associate in official capacity to waste time with here. He is nothing more than a fanboy with too much time on his hands and gets his jollies in wasting your time as well. Like as if what we satelliteguys members think has any relevance to the case decisions.

The best approach to a troll is to put on ignore. Its why real legal experts who are members here at satguys.us haven't paid much attention to him.

Perhaps but no such evidence has been presented. You really have to provide enough evidence to make a charge credible before you can expect someone to answer it.

BTW I don't know if it is true or not. I am just saying that charged that are just thrown out without support don't reasonably deserve an answer. Perhaps you and/or Scott could take it up with him offline.

Mr. Landis

Not sure what you posted actually has to with me. Maybe I am obtuse. There was a question raised about what Dish had paid Tivo. In some posts the question was about which judgement had been paid out, in other posts a dollar amount was mentioned and in at least one thre question was whether dish had paid out anything at all. I three immy two cents.

I also said I would not answer any charge that was thrown out without support.

How any of that really corresponds to paying any more attention to a particular poster than anyone else I don't know. But it is a nice day and I am going to enjoy it. Maybe the conversation will turn away from unsupported charges and semantics and will return to a discussion about the recent development in the case.

Maybe the conversation will turn away from unsupported charges and semantics and will return to a discussion about the recent development in the case.

You are an optimist! When the discussion is on topic, however, it is truly interesting.

Geronimo-
Just in general, there is nothing being put out by him that isn't public knowledge. The bit on what dish paid was documented in several places as we said. What the troll did was offer some confusing response that did nothing to add to information. As in why state that dish hasn't paid Tivo on the latest charge when they haven't been told by the court to do so? All that can be stated was that while the case in appeal we have to wait to see how all this pans out with the courts.
Additionally, adding that the suit encompasses unlisted future equipment is ignorant. People who believe that simply don't understand the American legal system. In other words, the VIP series is not named in the suit and until dish is charged with that as infringement, it will not be shut off.
Bottom line, there is nothing really to discuss, unless people enjoy creative what if scenarios. But then that is just crystal ball gazing and has no place in present day reality. Just thread pissing contests.

I'll retract my charges of him being a troll and just leave it with he is an obvious fanboy with a propensity for pointing out his confusion, in an authoritative and confidant manner. Con men work the same game.

Last edited:
Don, you're probably right. However, I've never put someone on ignore and never will. I enjoy toying with my food far too much. :D

I didn't mean technically in the user settings, just ignore the goofy exchanges that don't mesh with the facts. With "reply with quotes" ignore as a setting here is not very effective, right?

When was the last time you were able to change a persons opinion who was very passionate fanboy in these threads? All we should expect to achieve here is a quest for new leads we weren't aware of and can then do our own homework.

Personally I believe that Tivo wants a license with Dish to try and find out how they made such a great DVR like the Dish 625.Which has a 2 hour pause and 2 -120 minute live buffers,with the ability to operate 2 TVs in Dual Mode or in Single have PIP or splitscreen(see what's on both tuner1 and tuner 2 at the same time).In this DVR operator's mind there is none better,plus the 150 hour record capacity helps also.:D

CBS headlines this morning reported that Tivo stock was down a "stunning 41 %" after losing a key ruling in its ongoing battle with Dish Network over its DVR technology. They really didn't give any other details of the case or the ruling. Pretty extreme language to be using when it's only down less than 7 bucks.

CBS headlines this morning reported that Tivo stock was down a "stunning 41 %" after losing a key ruling in its ongoing battle with Dish Network over its DVR technology. They really didn't give any other details of the case or the ruling. Pretty extreme language to be using when it's only down less than 7 bucks.

stock down makes it cheaper to buy.....

Actually, the stock was way over sold for the past couple months based on expectations of a quick win on the suit. It is back to market again at ~ $10. However, it would not be a wise move for long term as the company has very poor future based on business model. I only bought last year hoping to make a quick couple hundred bucks in a week which I did but I would not be looking to get back in at all now. Too many really good bargains in the market to put extra cash now, like DirecTV and Dish Network to name two. Their financials indicate good business models. Tivo, absent law suit winnings,has no positive revenue growth on product sales. Bob- if Tivo goes to $2-3 a share you might throw a few hundred at it and hope for a short bounce when a buyout offer is announced, but it is no bargain at $10 and was a fool's game at $17.

Last edited:
Pretty extreme language to be using when it's only down less than 7 bucks.
The number of dollars doesn't mean much without considering what the price was. If you buy at $10 and the price goes down to $6, you'll feel a pretty good sting as TiVo is not in the habit of offering dividends.

Betting on the outcome of the court case is very dangerous business.

If I lost 40% of my investment I really would not care about what the final share price was. It makes no difference wheter the starting price was $100 a share or $10 a share. You stil lost 40% of your investment.

41% is 41%.

What's the question?

Obviously, you don't know a lot about stocks. 41% drop is extremely bad.

But should we be stunned considering they lost a "key ruling"? I understand 41% is a lot to lose, but I was surprised at the way it was reported. You would think they had lost the case, which clearly they have not. The "key ruling" was that E*'s appeal will be heard en banc, not a reversal. I personally can't wait for this one to be done, but that won't be for a while now. What will happen to Tivo stock if E* wins the appeal on contempt? I would expect E*'s to go down considerably if they lose, but Tivo could be in real trouble if they lose the appeal. And no, I don't know a lot about stocks, sorry. I do know that down is bad if you own, good if you want to buy.

41% would be small

But should we be stunned considering they lost a "key ruling"? I understand 41% is a lot to lose, but I was surprised at the way it was reported. You would think they had lost the case, which clearly they have not. The "key ruling" was that E*'s appeal will be heard en banc, not a reversal. I personally can't wait for this one to be done, but that won't be for a while now. What will happen to Tivo stock if E* wins the appeal on contempt? I would expect E*'s to go down considerably if they lose, but Tivo could be in real trouble if they lose the appeal. And no, I don't know a lot about stocks, sorry. I do know that down is bad if you own, good if you want to buy.

Can we say tank. TIVO's stock would tank. Since there have been a bunch of TIVO ppl selling it off before the news they may already be thinking it's gonna go badly. E* wouldn't suffer as badly if they lose since they aren't the 1 trick pony that TIVO is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)