1000.4 self install questions.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

El Torro

Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
NW Arkansas
Hello all, I'm new here and before anyone yells I have used the search function. I just need a couple things cleared up.:)

I have a cabin located at zip 72774. Currently I have a Superdish that picks up 105, 110, and 119. The dish feeds to a DP34 switch that goes to a 311 receiver. I installed all of this myself about 6 years ago. My old TV out there finally died so i bought a new HD LCD. I want to upgrade my cabin system to HD. Dish will give me a new 211k receiver because I will be upgrading my home system at the same time to HD, however I will have to buy the new dish outright as they will only upgrade my home dish (DP500) for free.

Now here is where I need some information help. I believe i need to purchase the following things:

1. 1000.4 dish
2. DP44 switch

Is this the correct dish to buy? Also can I use my old DP34 switch and save some money since I am only going to be running 1 receiver? I priced a new dish from a local retailer and they wanted $199 for it, I can pick one on eBay or Craig's list for about $50. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You don't need the 44. The 1k.4 has a built in switch, and has an input for a 4th LNB from a seperate dish, if needed.

I completely agree. No need for any switches unless you plan on having 4 or more receivers. If you're getting the 1000.4 Eastern Arc dish, only MPEG-4 equipment will work off of it (so you won't be able to add MPEG-2 equipment like the 311 to it later).

If you're willing to PM a phone number or account number, I can see if we can do it without you having to purchase all the equipment.

There's one slight little detail that seems to have been forgotten here: Which LNB? The 1000.4 Eastern Arc LNB for the 61.5/72/77 sats? or the 1000.4 Western Arc LNB for the 119/110/129 sats?

Actually, if the OP is staying on the Western Arc it would likely be cheaper for him to get the 1000.2 Dish with the 1000.2 LNB.

Thanks guys, and MattG I will be more than happy to PM you an phone number. But like Dr. Pepper said I'm still not sure what arc to get, east or west.

Thank you everyone for your help. MattG did an awesome job answering my questions over PM. Just to recap for anyone who finds this post later doing a Google search here is what I need for my area of NW Arkansas.

a 1000.2 or 1000.4 (.4 preferred) dish with LNBs to pick up 119/110/129. So a western arc set up. No switch required to run just the 211K receiver. A case of beer and a Saturday afternoon to to put it all up. :D

Beer is standard issue when dealing with installing and aligning satellite dishes at my house. I thought that was one of the foot notes in the Dish Network installer's manual? LoL

Thank you everyone for your help. MattG did an awesome job answering my questions over PM. Just to recap for anyone who finds this post later doing a Google search here is what I need for my area of NW Arkansas.

a 1000.2 or 1000.4 (.4 preferred) dish with LNBs to pick up 119/110/129. So a western arc set up. No switch required to run just the 211K receiver. A case of beer and a Saturday afternoon to to put it all up. :D

They no longer make the 1000.2. All dishes are now the 1000.4 w/the appropriate LNBF for you area.

Well I the dish guy came out yesterday and installed my new 1000.4 dish, the 722k DVR, and the 211 HD receiver at my house. He was a really cool guy and spent a lot of time making everything look good and making sure it all worked right. I took the 211 and the used 1000.2 dish I got on Craigslist out to the cabin today and installed all that headache. Once case of beer was not enough. But after much cursing and head scratching it's all set up.

I did hook up my old 508 DVR to my new set up here at the house so in my son's room. It will be inactive by tomorrow but I wanted to see if it would work with a 1000.4 dish. Not only did the check switch work just fine but it saw and reported all the LNBs plus the open add on port and it is working just fine. I think I might call Dish tomorrow and keep it active since i own it and they don't charge a fee for the DVR function on it. Maybe the DVR in the living room won't get filled up with 17 recordings of iCarley.

Something else I was wondering about. Since the 508 works on my new set up, would an old 301 work as well? There really needs to be a list on here of what receivers work with what dishes and if a switch is required. Maybe I'll put an excel spreadsheet together.....

Well I the dish guy came out yesterday and installed my new 1000.4 dish, the 722k DVR, and the 211 HD receiver at my house. He was a really cool guy and spent a lot of time making everything look good and making sure it all worked right. I took the 211 and the used 1000.2 dish I got on Craigslist out to the cabin today and installed all that headache. Once case of beer was not enough. But after much cursing and head scratching it's all set up.

I did hook up my old 508 DVR to my new set up here at the house so in my son's room. It will be inactive by tomorrow but I wanted to see if it would work with a 1000.4 dish. Not only did the check switch work just fine but it saw and reported all the LNBs plus the open add on port and it is working just fine. I think I might call Dish tomorrow and keep it active since i own it and they don't charge a fee for the DVR function on it. Maybe the DVR in the living room won't get filled up with 17 recordings of iCarley.

Something else I was wondering about. Since the 508 works on my new set up, would an old 301 work as well? There really needs to be a list on here of what receivers work with what dishes and if a switch is required. Maybe I'll put an excel spreadsheet together.....
DISH uses 3 systems: LEGACY the original LNBs that use voltage switching for channel/polarity selection all receivers are backward compatible.
DISH PRO LNBs this uses band stacking and is compatible with Dish Pro Receivers, with a Dish Pro Adapter it is compatible with LEGACY RECEIVERS.

DISH PRO PLUS LNBs and SWITCHES use Dish Pro technology but are compatible with LEGACY RECEIVERS without adapters, This includes 1000/1000.2 and 1000.4 dishes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts